Kennel Anxiety - Help!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
LuvmybrindleAPBT
Newborn Bully

Kennel Anxiety - Help!

Postby LuvmybrindleAPBT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I’ll start with a picture…. This is what I came home to last night.

This is not the first kennel to end up in this state. We have tried the wire kennels. Rusty can open those from the inside. Yes, we have tried using karabiner clips to keep the door closed. He has caused himself some pretty nasty damage trying and succeeding in getting out.

Here is the background on Rusty’s experiences with the kennel.

We got Rusty as an 8 or 9 week old. Within a few days of getting him we had to return to our normal work schedules and he was immediately put in the kennel during the day. He typically would spend about 10hrs a day in the kennel (I now know this was SO wrong to do). He has hated it since day 1. We lived much too far from work to return to him during the lunch hour and take him out for a walk. So he went in and stayed there all day. Rusty’s kennel was on the second floor of our house in our bedroom(he did not sleep in the kennel, he slept in our bed).

After a few months we decided we would attempt to leave Rusty out of the kennel during the day. This worked for a few weeks. We had to leave puppy pads down and he did use them. He wasn’t destructive at first. He would just play with his toys or sleep (I’m assuming) during the day. Then we came home one day and he had tried to scratch his way out of the bedroom. Not major damage but got through the paint on the wall and scratched up the sheetrock.

So, back in the kennel for Rusty. He was kenneled during the day for probably another 3 months during which time we moved to a new house. By this time, Rusty is 6 months old. This is when Rusty figured out how to open the wire kennel from the inside. After trying several different things to keep him inside, we gave up and decided to let him run around during the day. He had never been destructive at all before. Of course, this is when Rusty started causing horrendous damage to our furniture, or really ANYTHING else he could get his mouth on. We have since gone through 4 couches, and probably thousands of dollars worth of other various things (shoes, DVDS, electrical appliances of all sorts)… I’d like to stress right here that I really could care less about these material things but I am worried he is going to ingest something that is going to hurt him.

After the first set of couches, we put Rusty back in the wire kennel and tried even harder to keep him in it. Rope, blocking the doors with furniture… all kinds of ridiculous things. Then he started to hurt himself escaping from the kennel. Really badly. At one point he had patches on his face missing fur because of using his mouth to open the kennel. So no more kennel, just coming home and cleaning up the messes of shreds of this and that every day.

About a month ago now, Rusty ripped the carpet up off the floor. So I bought a plastic kennel (shown in the picture above), thinking maybe I just had him in the wrong kind of kennel.

Since Rusty has horrible kennel anxiety and freaks out (very nervous behavior) anytime you try to put him in the kennel, I started working with him on just going inside on his own before I ever tried to lock him in there. I was throwing treats in the back and just letting him walk in and get them. Then when he got to the point that he would put all four legs in the kennel and turn around instead of backing out, I started giving him the command when he would go in “Go to your spot”.

Right now Rusty does not have to be in the kennel any longer than 4-5 hrs a day. So he did really great the first week leaving him alone while I was at work. His kennel anxiety has just gotten worse and worse, day by day.

Basically, I am desperate to know if there is any way to help Rusty get over this kennel anxiety. I really am willing to try anything (except shock collars/muzzles/tranquilizers, etc.). I have 11 days off coming up and I’m thinking of buying a new kennel and trying the process over again. Maybe he just wasn’t ready the last time. Please, anyone. I love this dog with all my heart and it kills me that he is hurting himself. I feel absolutely awful… I know, I probably should. :sad:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Re: Kennel Anxiety - Help!

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

They are expensive, but you may want to invest in a hunting type kennel... they're pretty much indestructible

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 24.3388885

http://www.dogboxcentral.com/Content.as ... +Dog+Boxes

LuvmybrindleAPBT
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvmybrindleAPBT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Oh gosh… that looks like a torture chamber. I hope there is a better way. My main goal is to help him with the anxiety and learn to tolerate being in the kennel so that I don’t have to put him in something like that. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that he gets better and I don’t have to resort to one of those. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me and my puppy :bowdown:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:47 pm

how much exercise is he getting a day? a tired dog is a sleepy dog.. it sounds like he needs a ton of exercise a few times a day(morning before work, and a few times when you get home from work) and can you hire a dog walker to come in once during the day to take him out and exercise him?

Return to “Training and Behavior”