Adult/puppy interaction-do sexes play a role?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Adult/puppy interaction-do sexes play a role?

Postby Chasesmom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:42 am

Just curious about this...

Is it only females that treat pups as pups or do males have that inner "I know this is a puppy so I'll be good" thing too"?

Came to mind because Chase isn't good with really any dog at all, whether it be male/female or mature/puppy. Are they "supposed" to have that kind of leniency with young pups or not?

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: Adult/puppy interaction-do sexes play a role?

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:25 am

Nero doesn't like puppies anymore than adult dogs, Jersey does seem to be very tolerant of them but she usually likes well behaved dogs.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

We've found that Trooper is better with pups than Bailey. I think it's the playful nature. Trooper is generally goofy and more playful, Bailey on the other hand is more reserved. She'll play, but on her terms...which doesn't typically work with pups.

I think both sexes can tell (generally) the age of a dog. Similiar to human sexes being able to tell a baby from a grown up. Chatta (Bailey's "sort of-kind of" mom) is old and Trooper doesn't mess with her. I think it's cause he knows. Trooper is typically reactive, but if Chatta growls he'll roll over or fred flintstone it out of the room. Bailey is all weird with Chatta. No matter how mean Chatta's growls get, Bailey will keep getting lower and lower to the ground, and keep licking her face. It's like, I know you're annoyed but I just love you so much. Bailey has no tolerance for Resi, but Trooper will play with her for hours.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Our boys are very nice with young puppies, well, Yaeger (GSD) and Conan (Dachshund) are, anyway.
Libby (spayed female) hates puppies and always has.
In the wolf pack, often the males too young to hunt stayed behind and babysat, and I see many males acting as "uncle" to puppies at least in this house.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Ish? Its not really so much gender (unless the puppies belong to the female in question) that determines weather or not they can deal with puppies. Most adult dogs (*most*) will tolerate puppies until their puppy licence expires, then all bets are off. My own personal dog won't so much as flinch if an 8 week old puppy charges him and jumps all over his face, but if an 8 month old tried the same thing it probably wouldn't end well.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18 pm

In general, the sex of the dogs involved should not matter, most adult dogs of either sex are tolerant of puppies of either sex. Some are not. My Elmo & Tully are both gentle with puppies (and with small dogs, which they seem to have trouble distinguishing from puppies). My Tess is not, and can be very snarky with puppies. Hopefully, she won't be with her own litter (I'm not too concerned about it), but I don't let her interact with puppies normally.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Xanny (at that time an intact adult female) always looked at puppies with an unhealthy gleam in her eye usually reserved for squirrels and bunnies. So, I was pretty nervous when I got Soleil. At the time, Xanny was 7, and Soleil was 8 weeks. I had them both on leash, and walked them and hung out together, but didn't let them interact. Xanny looked pretty disgusted when Soleil came home w/us. I controlled their interactions very carefully. After a week, Xanny decided Soleil was her puppy. Soleil has had puppy license ever since, it's been 4 years.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 pm

When I took Tess to my friend's house to be bred (my friend is also Tully's breeder, and owner of the stud I used), we had Tess in a crate in the living room, where she would snark at any of the resident dogs that came up to her crate. She'd snark at the puppies (about 10 weeks old, there were 2 of them) if she could just see them. :skurrd:

She stayed there for a few days while Tully & I went to the Invitational. Tess apparently did stop snarking at her intended, let him kiss her, and got flirty. But she never stopped snarking at the pups. She just doesn't like puppies. However, she comes from a line of great mothers, and has had a tendency to adopt "babies" after her false pregnancies (stuffy toys, which would otherwise be demolished), and defend them fiercely from the other dogs. So I do feel pretty comfortable that she'll be fine with her own litter. If I brought another pup in, it would have to be a really careful introduction.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:36 am

Our adult dogs, Riddick (male) and Raven (female) were introduce to the new, 5 week old pup the same way they are introduced to adult dogs. Slowly. Puppies are rude. They typically do not follow the rules of polite introductions. Some adult dogs tolerate that better than others.

Raven is dog social and readily accepts new dogs. Riddick takes time. He didn't want anything to do with the pup for about two weeks. When introduced slowly, he has accepted multiple new dogs into our home. The puppy is 3 months old now and is adored by both adult dogs.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 am

Oscar is a very nurturing boy, you may have seen the videos of him playing with Fiona as a baby, and there was a very clear change when Fiona hit 5 months (puppy license is usually about 4 months, I'm not sure if Fiona got 5 because she was a kitten, because she's so much smaller than a dog, or if he was counting 4 months since she arrived). Before that time, she could do ANYTHING at all to him, and he would tolerate it and kiss her. At a little over 5 months, he started teaching her what was and wasn't accepted.

He is a very solid teacher with all species, although he's not crazy about small dogs (having been bitten by two when he was a young'un) and as such I haven't tested him with puppies at all.

I haven't tested Liberty with puppies either, but she gets very upset when she hears any babies crying - human or animal, and squeaky toys count - and I suspect she'd be nurturing as well.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am

rufus loves puppies, always has. he will mother them and groom them and let them walk all over him up to a certain age, then he will correct them. ruby only met a few puppies last year that i did a transport for, and thru the xpen she did well with them.. she met two pups(one was mikezev's brothers sbt pup, and the other was boris's uma) recently that she got snarky with recently though, so i dont know how she would do now.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:10 am

Very interesting.
I wish Chase was the nurturing type :sad:
He pretty much hates all animals and he isn't the best with children unless they are calm. He gets really upset though also (Amie) when he hears babies cry..I always thought it was bc he wanted to eat them. Maybe he does have a good baby bone in his body somewhere.
I see pictures of some of the dogs here with stuffies/birds/bunnies/kitties that aren't destroyed and I think, 'man, that would be nice' but I guess that's just not the kind of dog I ended up with.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:17 am

When Oscar was new here (before he learned that the TV is to be ignored) he used to cry when he heard kids crying on TV. And he will still regularly jump up on adults, because they all encourage it, but he has never once jumped up on a child.

Liberty's crying at squeak toys (and babies) is definitely a maternal vs aggressive thing - if someone squeaks a toy, she will cry, take the toy from the person, and protect it from them. The only exception to this is Oscar, who she won't challenge for a toy. He's a smart ass (it apparently runs in the family) and a bit of an obnoxious big brother and figured this out, and will take a squeaky toy right up to her face and squeak it until she gets upset.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 am

When I think of it, it seemed like girls who'd been spayed later in life (and maybe had a litter themselves, like Carlie in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUecV7ZFKiI) really loved to play with puppies, whereas girls who got spayed early didn't care for them.
Libby loathes puppies to where, if a puppy is in an ex-pen, she'll go stand by it and snarl at them, lips curled back, teeth showing, etc. If a puppy is loose and approaches her she will snark big time at it and/or get up and run away.
But I remember when another foster female was here and spayed before 1st heat, she was of a puppy mindset herself so enjoyed playing with puppies.
Right now it seems about even...Veronica doesn't care to play with puppies much but will not be evil to them like Libs.
However, Copper (now passed away) and Tristan too cannot stand puppies, and will correct the puppy before it even does anything lol
Savannah, we aren't sure of her age but she acts very puppy like (chews up stuff, etc.) and she loves to play with puppies.
The puppies we have here who are so young they've not had full series of vax will stay in ex-pens to 1) protect them from the environment but 2) also the other dogs!
Savannah gets to go in the ex-pen to keep the puppy entertained from time to time.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 am

Hannah (intact) LOATHES puppies, she would be happy to kill them all. Of course, we're convinced if she were ever bred she'd eat them as they descended the tailpipe.

Arnold(neutered) is confused by puppies I think, part prey drive, part why is that thing so wiggly and happy. But he is very tolerant and tries (unsuccessfully) to play with them.

Tucker (neutered), our molester, LOVES puppies. He always has, he gained his nick name for having a fetish with puppies. He will wiggle, lick, play with, and eventually hump every puppy he meets.

I think Shamoo (spayed) would tolerate anything and Teddy (intact) has never met a puppy that I can think of. Hmm...

So in short, in my experience, my males are far better with puppies than my female. Of course, my only long term female aside from Shamoo now has been Hannah and she's the devil in a cute suit.

Return to “Training and Behavior”