Advice needed for DA dog and new incident..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
BullyKissies
Matured Bully

Advice needed for DA dog and new incident..

Postby BullyKissies » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:34 pm

We have had our foster Osiris for about a year now due to the fact that he has pretty severe aggression toward strange dogs and we wont let him go to the wrong home.
We manage him very carefully and avoid strange dogs although he does have 3 other dogs at home as well as many friends that he socializes with on a regular basis and has been fine with any dog after a slow intro at home.
Well this eve we took him and Apollo to the vet for shot clinic and he was pretty amped up after seeing a dog on the way in and trying to go after it full force to where my husband had to hold him on the ground until the other dog left. So he got his shots without any prob, he has been nothing but an angel to every human he has ever met and has never even barked at a person and greats strangers with wags and kisses.
But this old lady came in as we were checking out and she asked if the dogs were friendly and my husband said yes so she petted them briefly, then as she turned and walked passed Osiris followed with his head sniffing her and then kind of snarled and snapped up at her, no contact was made but it was an aggressive behavior directed at this woman and I have never seen this behavior from him before. I apologized to her and she told my husband not to tell people he was friendly in the future, and then said that she has cats and that one of her cats had just been skunked and she was just handling the cat so maybe that caused the reaction.
But in my mind, I am really freaked out and wont trust him the way I have been with people anymore. It is hard enough to have a dog aggressive pit bull, but human aggression is a whole new can of worms.
Like I said, we have yet to find him the right home in a years time and now I don't know if it will ever be possible.
Thoughts and suggestions please, I dont think I am over reacting but my husband thinks its not a big deal and it was just that one lady and thinks what he did is the same as our other dog Lucy that occasionally barks at people in hats or hoods, I don't think its the same at all, she runs away with tail between her legs at some people, but never a snap or snarl ever.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Advice needed for DA dog and new incident..

Postby tiva » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Osiris had just been through an extremely stressful experience: penned to the ground by a trusted person after being freaked out by other dogs. So his snap at the elderly woman was probably simply due to the extreme levels of stress he was under, which will radically lower a dog's threshold. He doesn't need to be human aggressive to be flipped out after that vet experience. That said, the old lady was right: don't tell random people that he's friendly, particularly when he's under so much stress at the vet. And also, don't start worrying and assuming he's going to be aggressive to people.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I would find that behavior alarming. Particularly in a dog I was thinking about adopting out . . . honestly, I wouldn't adopt out a dog that acted that way at all. Even if it was stress or worry about whatever incident just happened. If you foster and adopt out pit bulls, I think that part of your job is to be extremely diligent about releasing only the soundest dogs into the public. The ones that aren't likely to lash out at people under stress.

Are you fostering this dog for a rescue or is he a dog you took in yourselves? If the former, I would inform the rescue about what happened and have a frank discussion with them about their feelings on the situation; if the latter, I would probably be more inclined to think long and hard about whether I wanted to keep the dog myself and work with him, rather than adopt him out to a new home.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 am

:goodpost:

I too think you are right to be considered particularly as this is a dog who is "up for adoption"

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 am

right to be *concerned* that is.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

If you would like to see a behavior consultant to help you determine the situation I can recommended someone in the San Diego area.

BullyKissies
Matured Bully

Postby BullyKissies » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 am

If they have a free consultation I would love to, I just cant afford much right now.

But I do feel that little snarly snap is a red flag that I cannot just ignore or excuse. It was good 20 minutes after he had seen any strange dogs and he has never reacted poorly to a human before or redirected on anyone when in a rage. He was calmly letting her pet him just moments before, but he was very obviously and intensely smelling her as she passed and perhaps he thought she was holding the animal that he was smelling on her and was trying to get at it.I can only hope that was the case and even then, the behavior was still completely unacceptable.

BullyKissies
Matured Bully

Postby BullyKissies » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

Sorry I forgot to answer..
We are fostering him ourselves, the owners were giving him away intact for free on craigslist and after convincing them that was a very bad idea they asked us to please take him and find him the right home instead, so we got him fixed and shots and planned to train and socialize him prior to re-homing, but we quickly discovered his dog aggressive tendencies and they have only gotten worse over time, so we have not yet found the right owner who we feel can safely manage him.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 am

I don't know of many behavior consultants who work for free, frankly. If you cannot afford a consultation in your area at all and if you are willing to drive you can come see me.I am about 3 hours North of you.If you choose to do so I need you to fil up a questionnaire though e-mail.

Return to “Training and Behavior”