walking two pits

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

walking two pits

Postby ickysticky74 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Hey once again its spring and all the neighbor dogs are out. WE walk our dogs one pure American pit bull and one Sharpe/pit bull mix. The mix will be 2 this summer the pure is 4. Carly is the pure, she has been great with other dogs and on walks until last year when we got Jett(mix). We just walked them and when they see another dog they go crazy and try bit at each other. Why would they be doing this when they are totally happy around each other? WE don't encourage we just try to keep walking in our track and keep them closer to us. Carly now is very protective of Jett and gets aggressive to other dogs when Jett is around. We used to take her to dog parks and she would play with the neighbors dog now she is just the opposite. Is she protecting her little brother or do they feed off each others excitement? When they get excited they go nuts and try to bite each other meaning when they see a dog, squirrel or bird. Any advice or training advice would be appreciated.

MikeInTacoma

Re: walking two pits

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Without actually seeing the behavior, it's hard to make a good guess (and I'm certainly no expert -- just a dog owner who reads some); but it sounds like "leash aggression," which I think is a form of "barrier frustration". The dogs see another dog, and naturally want to run up and sniff its butt. But they can't, because they're on their leashes; so they get frustrated and excited, and snarl and bite at each other to vent the frustration.

What to do -- build a stronger foundation of the on-leash behaviors you want. Start away from distractions like other dogs. Eventually, introduce other dogs, but at a distance where your dogs remain calm and still listen to you -- reward their calm behavior. Slowly decrease the distance; keep rewarding calm behavior.

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons is a useful guide.
http://www.amazon.com/Click-Calm-Healin ... 1890948209
http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB825
http://store.clickertraining.com/cltocatoheag.html

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:08 pm

It's called redirection - the dog is upset about one thing, and turns that energy in another direction, to something else. It's pretty common to go from one dog to another (much less common in APBT to go from dog to human, and that's another issue if that occurs).

I'm sure others will chime in, but if they were my dogs, I wouldn't walk them together until I had this behavior under control. I understand that it's nice and pleasant and happy to all go out as a family, but if one dog redirects to another, you can end up with a huge fight on your hands in the moment, and - possibly even worse - lingering aggression issues towards each other, since it's not uncommon for two dogs who get into one snip to only get worse with each other over time, without careful behavioral training.

I would walk my dogs individually and work on the skills needed to maintain a sense of calm and control during those stressful moments - there are lots of threads here that will help. Look up exercises like "Look at that" or "Look at the dog" and tighten up your basic obedience like sit, down and heel under distraction. Study up on body language and learn how to catch the dog's signals that they are going to get amped up before they actually do and distract them before they can lose their mind. (I say "lose their mind" literally, since it's been shown that once a dog hits a certain level of stimulus, certain senses are blocked from registering in the brain. A dog that is hyper because it sees another dog is literally physically incapable of hearing you say "sit", so you have to catch him before he hits that point.)

Once things are a little more in control with the individual dogs, I would start slowly and gently working them together.

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:50 am

Both great posts Amie and wegobad. I would walk them separately too. This is why we haven't got another dog is that we don't have the time to train and exercise two animals separately.

Walk and work them separately until you have more control of their onleash behavior.

Nate

ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

Postby ickysticky74 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Do head collars work with dogs being aggressive towards other dogs? We were walking tonight with our two dogs and the younger black dog got aggressive to a dog that just ran up to us. We had our two dogs on a leash and this dog ran up to us. The black dog bit at the back end of the other dog. Didn't seem like he bit him good just more or an excitement bite. Still a weird situation. So we brought our dogs back to our house and immediately went to the house of the dog that got bit to make sure everything was ok and to apologize. The dog was ok and the owner said it was coming up to give your dog a kiss. So they were ok with the situation. The dog is great with people and kids it just goes nuts about other animals...dogs, birds and squirrels. I have been ignoring our 2 dogs since I have been home. Is that the right behavior towards a dog when something like this happened just ignore them?

Just stinks when your dog is so good at home but is a dumbazz when you take him on walks.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:42 pm

I don't think this is just a pit bull issue. My friend has a black lab and a doberman. The doberman always redirects its excitement towards the lab. They have to walk them separate to avoid any issues. But same as your case, they get along great everywhere else.

sunny
Newborn Bully

Postby sunny » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Sorry to drag away from the topic a bit. My last two dogs were one APBT and one pit/shar pei mix as well.

my APBT was DA and the mix was a 90 LB ham of a people loving sweet hear.

to make a long story short my 105 LB wife was walking the two dogs together when an off leash dog approached. the female (APBT) reacted and tried to run. the end result was my wife getting dragged down the street by the two dogs. She scraped herself up a bit, but was ok and the dogs didn't get away.

sunny
Newborn Bully

Postby sunny » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

also the two dogs would often attack each other when there was a situation which made them react. It was actually the non- DA dog who would do damage. many a times Ripple, the APBT, would end up with a big bloody gash on her head. It would take all of 2 seconds and both dogs would be back to their normal happy selves.

we need an edit button mods. you can have like a 30 minute edit window if editing has been removed to avoid people retracting aggressive statements.

ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

Postby ickysticky74 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 pm

sunny wrote:also the two dogs would often attack each other when there was a situation which made them react. It was actually the non- DA dog who would do damage. many a times Ripple, the APBT, would end up with a big bloody gash on her head. It would take all of 2 seconds and both dogs would be back to their normal happy selves.

we need an edit button mods. you can have like a 30 minute edit window if editing has been removed to avoid people retracting aggressive statements.

Funny having the same dogs. Should you ignore your dogs after the act like this.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Off Topic - Your Sharpei mix is absolutely delicious!

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:07 pm

ickysticky74 wrote:
sunny wrote:also the two dogs would often attack each other when there was a situation which made them react. It was actually the non- DA dog who would do damage. many a times Ripple, the APBT, would end up with a big bloody gash on her head. It would take all of 2 seconds and both dogs would be back to their normal happy selves.

Funny having the same dogs. Should you ignore your dogs after the act like this.

You're going to have to walk them seperate. At least to start. When you're walking one, and you are approached by something that excites him, as soon as he reacts, turn around and walk away from the stimulus. Don't try to correct him...removal from the stimulus IS the correction. When he calms down, reward him.

Training the "look at me" command will help you here.

Do this every time he excites, and he will eventually realize that when he acts up, you take him away from what he wants to see.

That was the simplified version. And it's just one method. I happen to think it's a pretty good one.

But in any event...yeah. Work the dogs individually. Once they can behave apart then you can try them together again.

ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

Postby ickysticky74 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:34 am

Gatorpit wrote:
ickysticky74 wrote:

You're going to have to walk them seperate. At least to start. When you're walking one, and you are approached by something that excites him, as soon as he reacts, turn around and walk away from the stimulus. Don't try to correct him...removal from the stimulus IS the correction. When he calms down, reward him.

Training the "look at me" command will help you here.
Thank you
Do this every time he excites, and he will eventually realize that when he acts up, you take him away from what he wants to see.

That was the simplified version. And it's just one method. I happen to think it's a pretty good one.

But in any event...yeah. Work the dogs individually. Once they can behave apart then you can try them together again.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 am

ickysticky74 wrote:We were walking tonight with our two dogs and the younger black dog got aggressive to a dog that just ran up to us. We had our two dogs on a leash and this dog ran up to us... So we brought our dogs back to our house and immediately went to the house of the dog that got bit to make sure everything was ok and to apologize.

Wait, what? You were walking your dogs.on a leash.a random unleashed dog runs up to you.and you end up apologizing? That lady's lucky she doesn't have a dead dog! She's the irresponsible one. You shouldn't have been apologizing you should have been telling her about leash laws and how her dog's going to get hit by a car.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting.

I think you've gotten the advice you need...and I also think if you don't follow it, your dogs are going to end up in a very detrimental fight. You have the chance to nip this in the bud, to prevent that...so I'd do it if I were you.

I'd also suggest working your dog's threshold. Put yourself in an environment that you can control. Have a "stranger" dog a certain distance away, and bring it closer until your dog starts to get uncomfortable...then back it up. Play the "look at that game" and do everything you can do make other dogs a positive thing. The stranger dog could be a friend of yours with a dog that's willing to help you train.

It sounds like you have a lot of loose dogs where you live, is there another place you can go so that your dogs don't come across so many? Those loose dogs are going to be bad business for your dogs’ behavior. I'm going to guess if someone has no problem letting their dogs run loose, then they probably aren't doing a lot of training, which could result in a rude dog. And there's going to come a point where your dogs come across a dog that is too rude for them...and they'll take care of the situation.

sunny
Newborn Bully

Postby sunny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:34 am

I also agree walking them both together is a bad idea. they are just to strong. When I would see an off leash dog walking my female I would stop and turn and go the other way. If necessary I would have to pick up my dog and carry her off to avoid the off leash dog.

ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

Postby ickysticky74 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Thank you again for all your advice. We went out and bought the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness for both dogs. Then I walked them both separately. Jett the mix(Shar pei and Pit) was a little hesitant at first he kept looking back for the other dog. I encouraged him and we went on our way. He didn't pull once and he seemed to pay more attention to me. I encouraged him when we walked past people and he completely listened to me and wasn't interested. I was just amazed how it was just such a night and day situation. Then I walked our other dog Carly(American pit) and she didn't pull at all and was very interested in what the next command was. The best thing it doesn't hurt the dog at all compared to what I was using a choke chain. Now the choke chain seems so barbaric. I will continue to work with Jett so that his aggression toward dogs is bye bye. Thank you all again. I will keep posting progress.

Return to “Training and Behavior”