Behaving around other dogs..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
kcobean
Newborn Bully

Behaving around other dogs..

Postby kcobean » Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Anyone have any tips for developing good behavior around other dogs? Our boys go absolutely bonkers when we come across other dogs on the trail. I see folks who have dogs that don't even acknowledge other dogs as they pass by and am baffled as to how they develop that state of calm.

Emmaisstayin'
Newborn Bully

Re: Behaving around other dogs..

Postby Emmaisstayin' » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 pm

My best tip is ~ After you get a drink, snacks, get comfy etc. head over to the 'training & behavior' section...read until you can't read anymore...then read some more :))

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

agreed about going to the training & behavior section! But just some input.... we always have treats on hand and as soon as we see another person and/or dog coming our way, well put the treat in our fist, hold it to his nose, make him sit & he completely forgets about anything else and except getting that treat! :))

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm

I agree- I don't go on walks unless I got some treats in my pocket.
You want to make a walk a fun, happy and fulfilling experience, so adding treats and training to your walks is very beneficial to both you and your dog.

I would also recommend doing lots of "walking by" exercises.
See if you can round up locals with dogs that are willing to walk with you and your dog- or at the very least walk near a dog park- and walk walk walk! His sensitivity to dogs will decrease as he spends more time near and around other dogs. Ignore his silly reactions, and praise him when he's civil- and he'll get the idea real fast!

kcobean
Newborn Bully

Postby kcobean » Mon May 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks all...lots of good info in the training section. We take treats on walks, but the other dogs are so much higher value that we might as well be holding air. Off to read some more. Thanks!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 pm

I agree about the Training & Behavior section, but this is what I usually did.

First of all when first training I always trained my dogs one on one, get a high value treat and bring some with you.
Dakota used to lunge and jump at the end of a leash and act like a total butt ,so I put him in a sit before dogs walked by. As soon as he saw the other dog, I would treat before he reacted, and keep treating while he was calm. I did that several times, and then started walking, if he pulled on the leash I would stop and wait. If he does not turn back to me, I call him if he comes back or turns away from the dog treat.
They do not get to greet the other dogs unless they are calm.

krzemienr
Newborn Bully

Postby krzemienr » Tue May 25, 2010 4:32 pm

This is def. a long route that requires PATIANCE and CONSISTENCY with out either one of these, I personally don't believe it can be done. Also, remember to never set up your dog for failure, and start training with no distraction, then when you have full control, do it some more.

here are some worthy articles to read as well:
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46684[/url]

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79428

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55980

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=135827&start=0&hilit=clicker

Rafal

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue May 25, 2010 7:16 pm

This is a great handout:
http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/1 ... Leash.aspx

I substitute the "look at that" game for the "watch" game they suggest, but otherwise, it works well. Essentially, you start at a huge distance from other dogs and teach your dog to glance at the other dog, then look back at you for a treat. You do this a zillion times, until it becomes an automatic response to seeing another dog. Then you slowly decrease the distance, until your dog can do this when close to another dog. If you start close to another dog, you'd need all the steak in Omaha to get an average dog's attention. But if you start far away, a reasonably high value treat becomes a great reward for a calm glance at the other dog then back at you. You build on that foundation through repetition, and then your dog can do it close up. Well, that's the theory!

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Tue May 25, 2010 7:43 pm

kcobean wrote:Thanks all...lots of good info in the training section. We take treats on walks, but the other dogs are so much higher value that we might as well be holding air. Off to read some more. Thanks!

Then your treats aren't high value enough.

Try using foods YOU can eat - and bring enough for you to NOISILY smack down and make a big deal about how freaking YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY it is.

Steak, chicken, dehydrated sweet potatoes cut into chips, dehydrated meats, cheese .... anything that you can throw into a bag and carry with you.

Start off by making a BIG DEAL about the treats while at home. That way he learns and sees how yuuuuuuuummmmmmmy they are while he can focus better.

Give him little tastes for performing little tasks or tricks so he can earn some *tastes* of the yummies.

Then once he recognizes what it is ... try withholding for a week or two - to drum up interest. Then, make a big deal of getting it out. Have them perform an easy task or trick to earn a treat or two from it - to "load" their interest and to cement that it's back, and it can come their way with proper behavior.

And then ONLY use it for that. That way it's a highly special and rare treat that ONLY gets earned when they focus on YOU or pay attention to what you ask of them. Load the response you want by working them up to the dog part, so that they have a foundation of if I pay attention or focus, there is a "pay out". Then once they have a good foundation of that - add in the other dog(s).

Eventually you would then ideally work out the uber-yummies for a more sensible treat, and then finally down to praise with treats every so often to just praise.

What you want to do is prime the dog to see the treat as high value. In part this is done by rarity - it needs to be someone that they ONLY get when they really perform. Even better if you can go so far as only certain treats for certain behaviors. Also, if YOU eat it, it is natural for the dog to be immediately interested. Never tease as in offer and then take away and eat it yourself, eat along with or prior - just to grease the wheels on how awesome it must be since YOU think it's good to eat. You kind of have to prime them , know what I mean?

JMX.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Oh and I loved Tiva's post, great points about distance and repetition!

Return to “Training and Behavior”