Puppy keeps biting

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pitXgsd
Newborn Bully

Puppy keeps biting

Postby pitXgsd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I have a 11 week old puppy. pitXgsd. when it get hyper and playing with me it starts to try to bite me leg and stuff. and any one else he sees he tries biting them too. i know hes a puppy and its all fun and games for him but how i do i get it to stop because hes going to be getting older and bigger. recently he ripped a brandnew pair of jeans of mine so i put in its crate for a while. but how do i get him to stop doing this. hes not vicious or anything.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Puppy keeps biting

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:05 pm

When he starts biting get up and walk away, basically ignore it.

pitXgsd
Newborn Bully

Postby pitXgsd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:07 pm

i do it but he chases you like keeps following you around.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Some people like to practice with the pup/dog leashed, so they can't follow. I never had that problem.
Yell out and say "OWW" when he bites you, or a firm "No".

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm

I know some people who have had success yelping when the dog bites them.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Keep him tired! And redirect his biting and chewing to something he is allowed to chew. When he goes to get your pant leg, throw a toy for him to chase instead.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Get your dog a chew toy, a medium size kong and filled it up with peanut butter or kong stuffing spray thing that they sell
on the pet stores.
It will eventually go away, leash your dog up and pull him(slightly not violently) each time he nips you.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:53 pm

pitXgsd
Newborn Bully

Postby pitXgsd » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:24 am

he has a strong bite so i would be saying oow anyways lol.. he was biting a metal fence today. i got him that kong toy he plays with it but not for too long, i also got him a rope which is meant for extra large breeds ---- but he destroyed the chocolate out of that rope too and hes only like 18 pounds or something. well i am thinking of some strategies to stop it. thinking everytime he tries to bite to give it a time out because then he starts crying when i leave it alone. soon it will realize that everytime i try to bite i am going to be left alone. think it will work?

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:33 am

i'm not so sure a time out would do. i did read though that you're supposed to walk away, well walking away is kind of difficult if they bite you a few times in a row. that would get pretty old.

what you need to do is make a big yelp, or say owwww! really loud, and redirect his biting onto a toy. once he starts to bite the toy praise him so he learns that biting the toy is what he's supposed to do, and that's what he gets praised for...

my puppy has gotten me a few times! boy do those razor i mean razor sharp teeth hurt!!!!
only 9 weeks old, weighing in at 13.3 (or at least that's what the vet said thurs!)

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Lots of different approaches are possible, and they'll work in different ways for different dogs. Ian Dunbar's general principles (in the link Leslie gave above) are key: teach bite inhibition, so your pup learns to mouth without hurting. Don't just suppress the nips, because he'll never learn to use his mouth gently.

Here's what worked for our young rescue, who hadn't been taught anything when we adopted him at 10 months:
1. We tethered him so he couldn't come bounding after us if we backed off
2. we went up to him armed with a chew toy he could mouth instead of us
3. we offered him the chew toy FIRST, so he had something to do with his mouth, and THEN we petted him and paid attention to him
4. if he started to mouth us gently, we praised him (as Dunbar suggests), saying "gentle, good gentle, good gentle" (gentle was our cue for: mouth gently)
5. if he nipped, we yelped and stepped out of his reach. Because he was tethered during this game, we only had to back up a foot and he couldn't keep biting us. (Without a tether, he'd just think it was all part of the game and come right after us.)
6. the instant he calmed down, we went back to him and paid him attention. The instant he nipped, we yelped and backed out of reach.
7. most important, we repeated this hundreds of times and we never yelled or got upset. Dogs need a huge amount of repetition. Because he's so socially motivated, backing out of his reach worked really well. We could also have stepped for a moment behind a door, so he couldn't see us, but backing up a step is much faster, so we could do lots and lots of repetitions in a single play session.

We also use the tether technique to keep him from jumping up. If he sits when a friend is approaching, she keeps approaching and gives him tons of attention. If he gets up or jumps, she steps out of reach. He sits, he gets attention. He jumps, she's out of reach. Tethers work a lot better than a person trying to pull him away, and he catches on very quickly.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 am

The reason people are suggesting to yelp or say ow is because it teaches the dog that he's biting too hard (but it won't always stop the biting, just make it softer). It's likely he doesn't want to cause you pain, only play. If he were still with his litter mates they'd do the same. The thing is, you are not his liter mate, so like Mimo said, sometimes it just doesn't work. It sounds like ingnoring your boy would be your best option-since you mentioned he gets sad when you leave.

It sucks, and it's hard, but keep him teathered to something in the house at all times. So that you can ignore him. If he's not teathered and you try to walk away-what happens? He follows. And bites again, and then you do a little dance to get away and because it hurts...he doesn't know you're trying to get away or that it hurts...to him it looks like you're playing too.

So that's step one. Step one teaches the dog what you don't want. But if you don't tell him what you do what it's likely he'll find other inappropriate behaviors. So that's where substituting something that is acceptable to chew on comes in. If he doesn't like the Kong-find something else. Whatever works for your dog-that's what you've got to do.

I think eventually he'll start picking it up-with help from you. Then once you start seeing him try it out on his own praise his ass like crazy. It's the biggest party in the world when he chooses to chew on the stupid stuffed tiger (or whatever it is) and not your foot.

In general a good amount of training with your dog can be done this way. Nope, I don't like that, but here you can do this. Oh, you're doing it on your own? Yippeee!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 am

It takes patience and lots of praise. When I got Lily she was a year old and had no bite inhibition. She was big and strong and it hurt when she mouthed me. I sat with her a lot and taught her "gentle". I like tiva's advice.

pitXgsd
Newborn Bully

Postby pitXgsd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:42 am

so far hes been improving. i usually give it something else to bite other than me and it seems to work but its a slow progress. but i also think as they get older they start to be more smarter about what you want them to do. i dont know if that is true or not lol just what i think.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:21 am

pitXgsd wrote:so far hes been improving. i usually give it something else to bite other than me and it seems to work but its a slow progress. but i also think as they get older they start to be more smarter about what you want them to do. i dont know if that is true or not lol just what i think.

So glad to hear he's improving. It does take time. Also puppies feel or touch with their mouths, after all they don't have hands like we do to feel things with. I can't remember his age either so if he's getting his adult teeth then he'll be teething just like a child would be and his mouth hurts and he needs appropriate things to chew.

Return to “Training and Behavior”