She tells time, but not MY time

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

She tells time, but not MY time

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:25 am

Since Flower has been teeny tiny, she has done normal dog stuff, potty at night only if she gets up at all etc.
Now that she's 8 months, this garbage has to stop. It has become a 3:30 a.m. ON THE DOT thing.
For most of you, it is sooo easy to say just ignore her. But it's not.

Lick Lick Lick,
then back under the blankets for 5 mins
Then crawl crawl crawl, back up to the tippy top to lick lick lick my face, my arms, my legs, anything she can feel.
I try to play dead.
And when that does not work it's paw paw paw at anything that is usually my face until she (& I) are so awake that she has to go out because let's face it, she's going to pee.

Today I lasted doing this 10-15 minute interval thing until 4:55 and then I caved (mind you I get up at 5:30 and feed them... or at least try to) but I was so annoyed. I got minimal sleep.

I believe it is because she wants to eat, and is bored. Trust me she's not starving.
I've tried giving her toys in bed, they normally last 5 minutes and then she's bored with those. The ones she would really like to play with would make too much noise.
I've tried the cuddle into sleepy submission technique (worked for everyone else, not her)

I think one day I'm going to just have to stay up for 24 hours to keep her occupied.

The last thing I want to do is take her on a walk right before bed, because I'm trying to go to sleep not get endorfins going ya know??

What has worked for you all?
This is really starting to tick me off.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: She tells time, but not MY time

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:47 am

Do you feed twice a day? What time is the latest meal? I would try pushing her PM meal time later (by at least a whole hour) and seeing if that helps. If not, a pre-bedtime pee walk isn't a bad idea. If she will pee on command, it shouldn't be an endorphin-pushing walk but just a little quickie.

Is there any outside noise/activity in your area that could be triggering the 3:30am wake up?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 pm

My dogs go out very last thing at night before bed for a pee and then come in and crawl on to their beds. I don't have any issues with them getting worked up by this walk. They know that when it's dark, it's time for potty then bed. I would say that the treat toys are going to keep her awake and stimulated more than a potty break would.

Also, have you considered making your bed a "dog-free" zone? Mine became dog free once I realized that I was giving my dogs more space in MY bed than I was giving myself. Now they have cushy memory-foam beds on either side of MY bed and I sleep ALOT better. Now if I could just keep the cats out......

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:10 pm

mtlu wrote:Do you feed twice a day? What time is the latest meal? I would try pushing her PM meal time later (by at least a whole hour) and seeing if that helps. If not, a pre-bedtime pee walk isn't a bad idea. If she will pee on command, it shouldn't be an endorphin-pushing walk but just a little quickie.

Is there any outside noise/activity in your area that could be triggering the 3:30am wake up?

I have wondered if there is something at 3:30 but the majority of my neighbors are retired and the ones that are not, get up when I do. So unless it is a metro thing, which you can hear form my house, or the highway (which I doubt, because they would not always occur at the exact time every day)

No, no peeing on command, she is a 'free' spirit and sometimes a spray-er when she walks and runs or is SUPER excited.

We feed twice daily 5:30 am when allowed lol it's often 4:30 am because I break down (& then I get another hour sleep)
and then at around 6:00 pm in the evening but sometimes 6:30 pm we could easily wait until later.

I had half thought about giving her a big cookie or something in the morning, but then I'd have to give 2 more, so I don't think that would work. I'm trying to have no-one wake up fully :)

:dunno: thoughts :dunno:

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Scar kind of does the same thing .. every freaking morning at 6:30 on the dot he starts whining.. doesnt really have to use the bathroom .. just feels the need to wake everyone up. Weekdays this is not so much of a big deal.. but on weekends it drives me insane. I feel like i have a newborn again. I must note that we have 5 dogs in the house who are all crated at night. I have tried leaving Scar out at night but he will pee on the floor in the middle of the night. Its a baffling situation with him .. and he is very lucky that I love him so much.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you .. just wanted to let you know that you are not alone :))

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:26 pm

No giving in and feeding at 4:30am! :spankme: Sounds like you'll have several days of very gripey, insistent Flower but she has to "unlearn" being able to roust you out of bed and being rewarded with food for doing so lol

Another thing is that even though we keep a fairly consistent schedule, we will throw it off from time to time and go out for a longer excursion in the morning and also feed her later in the morning. Usually, we do morning walk, come home, wait an hour and then feed (by about 8am). The other day when we went to the beach in the morning, we didn't feed her breakfast until after 9am. If I feed her later in the AM, then I will also push out the PM meal by a similar increment of time.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Invest in a crate and some ear plugs :)

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 pm

LOL. Agree with Stormi!
Maven is great. As she has aged she has "altered" her alarm clock. She used to be ridiculous.
Ari is still a pup and has the most amazing sense of time. He is like clock work.
They get fed at 4:30 (out of necessity) and Maven is the last out of bed. Ari is crated but he wakes up at 3:32 to complain about the crate. I (stupidly) let him out of the crate for a cuddle till the alarm goes off. In my sleepy mind, he is in the crate for night, Gets up, goes out, eats and is back in the crate till I get home from work a mere few hours. But somehow it seems just that he gets some cuddle time in between.
I do (sometimes) just ignore his cries for love :huh?: at 3:32 but lack of common sense gets the best of me. So I have no one but myself to blame.. now that his bladder isn't dictating things...
BUT he is getting older and I am noticing that he is starting to "relax" his clock some. Which I appreciate.
They say dogs have no concept of time. I beg to differ.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 pm

I agree with Stormi.

Look at it this way ... EVERY single time you cave and do what she wants ... you are TRAINING her that if she pushes and bugs you ENOUGH - that you WILL do as SHE wishes.

It's just like kids. They push to see where and when you say NO. MORE. Nada. Zip. Fini.

Yes it means having to stand your ground and maybe handling tantrums (dogs throw tantrums too! that's what the howling, whining, fussing is) and if the child or animal is pushy or stubborn enough yes, it could take hours.

And even having to repeat the battle. But if you cave - you send the message that alllllll they have to do is outlast YOU and by the gods and all that is holy is they get that message, they will almost always manage to keep pushing past that point.

Draw your line in the proverbial sand. And stand by it. And then make it work towards your odds. Play them REALLY hard. Feed them a little after. Let a lot of exercise and a full belly work against them. And do to them what they do to you at night ... don't let them nap undisturbed during the day. :)) Keep pestering THEM while they try to catch some Zzzz's lol.

eventually they get the message when you say this is the end of the line and it's bed time, its bedtime.

And oh yeah - definitely need the crate so you can control their amount of access to you to disturb your sleep.

Just my cents for the little they are worth LOL

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Okay, so this is going to sound a little crazy, but bear with me here:

Set an alarm for 3:25am. IGNORE HER until the alarm goes off. When it goes off, take her out immediately. Do that for a week.

Then set the alarm for 4am. IGNORE HER until the alarm goes off. When it goes off, take her out immediately. Do that for a week.

Then set the alarm for 4:30am. IGNORE HER until the alarm goes off. When it goes off, take her out immediately. Do that for a week.

Then set the alarm for 5am. IGNORE HER until the alarm goes off. When it goes off, take her out immediately. Do that for a week.

Then set the alarm for 5:30am. IGNORE HER until the alarm goes off. When it goes off, take her out immediately. Do that for a week....

Get the idea? You're teaching her that your alarm is what her cue is for her to go out, not the time itself. And you're using that to gradually inch her back (er... forward?) to a sane wake up time.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:13 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:The last thing I want to do is take her on a walk right before bed, because I'm trying to go to sleep not get endorfins going ya know??

What has worked for you all?
This is really starting to tick me off.

I hate to say it; but your best option may be to get her to pee right before bed; that way she can last through the night.

This is not a quick fix...but...how about putting peeing on cue; then right before bed you can walk her outside (not an actual walk, just to a secluded spot) and say "tinklepotty"....or whatever :oops:

We have an 8X8 fenced "outhouse" for Veronica accessable by our back door. It may not help us sell the house (unless a crazy dog person is buying) but it is soooo convenient! Every night, right before bed, no matter what time...I boot her butt out and tell her to tinklepotty. Putting her on a leash and walking 20 steps away from the house would be less convenient but still doable. Don't make it a fun, interesting walk; just stand in one spot and give the tinklepotty cue; and always use the same spot because the smell of tinkle will bring memories to mind. :))

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:14 am

Actually just reading Amie's post...you could probably use these two ideas in combination with each other for a double whammy. :)

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:42 am

I'm not sure Roxie would last the night if I didn't get her to pee at 10pm. It really is just a quick hop outside, giving her the "go potty" command and making sure she does it. Took her a whle, but now it's routine and no more waking me up at some unGodly hour!

Is a late night walk really necessary for Flower to pee? If it is, then maybe you and hubby could take turns -- switch nights so it's not always you. I would say do that in the morning too. Take turns with hubby. Isn't that what husbands are for??? If I had one that's what mine would be doing! LOL

:)

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:45 am

RoxieRules wrote:Isn't that what husbands are for??? If I had one that's what mine would be doing! LOL

:)

They're actually for opening olive and pickle jars, but they can be adapted to other uses, too, with training.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

Oh, we go out before bed, no matter what kind of death stares I get. We've got a fended 1/2 acre so they are more than taken care of in that department. Everyone warm and cozy or not goes out. That's why I think it is a boredom and savage eating thing.

I do have to stay on top of where she goes though because given the chance she will pee wherever she pleases.
The issue is Miss Wiggle Bottom gets up, gets excited and will attempt to pee wherever sometimes.

I've fed late before and it has had no impact, but I'm going to try it this week. everyday to see if it gets us anywhere. Chances are my best option is what Amie suggested. ...despite the comments from the peanut gallery that shares my bed I think adding a "noise in time" feature is where it will work best. (Amie, when I read your post I did NOT think you were crazy! ;)

I'd rather build up to a 'new' norm than trying to continure to ignore an existing one. That technique is not working very well.

Last night I waited until the latest I could for the idiots and fed them at 8:15.
I still got the 3:30 wake up. Thank Dog I had the blanket to protect by eye balls. She hurts when she scratches, especially my scalp.
Like I said I'll keep doing it this week and see where she is. I have a feeling more agitated! lol

-PBL

Return to “Training and Behavior”