Hatred for squirrels?!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
frkkevin
Newborn Bully

Hatred for squirrels?!

Postby frkkevin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Anyone have an issue with their dog catching squirrels?! Not sure how she does it but I've had to pick up two dead squirrels from Roxy. I don't want her to get a hold of the wrong one.

Anytime she is outside she just hovers around the trees looking up.. waiting.. watching. Seems like some days all day she will just wait. Same thing with birds although she has not caught any of those just yet.

It really does get annoying when we are playing and she hears a noise in the tree. All attention has now gone to looking up.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Hatred for squirrels?!

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:17 pm

It's not hatred, it's love lol No, actually it's just prey drive. My dog will go after squirrels, cats and birds. She will also try to chase horses if there is no rider on their back. So far, I've been able to get her to heed "leave it!!!!" with birds. We're making a little bit of progress with cats but squirrels are impossible I tell you. We haven't encountered horses enough times to even try to work on it but I did notice the one time I was able to walk her within 5ft of a horse was a police horse with a cop on the back.

It doesn't really matter to me how strong or how high the fence is in my backyard, I don't leave her out there alone at all due to her prey drive because she would probably kill squirrels, the opossum and countless mice/voles. She got skunked once at 5:30am (skunk came into the yard after I had checked with a flashlight) and I'm sure she'd go for round two if she saw the skunk again.

frkkevin
Newborn Bully

Postby frkkevin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 pm

We used to have an Akita that seemed to always get skunked haha. We have a doggy door so she pretty much goes out as she pleases.. and sometimes its hard to get her to come back in. Although you can definitely tell shes a house dog. Guess I'll try and wean her from it but I don't think it will happen.

It is quite hilarious watching her run and punch while looking up at the birds flying by like she can catch one.. roflmao

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 pm

I've said no to a doggy door so many times that BF has finally stopped bringing it up lol Maybe you can block the door during some parts of the day to keep her inside when you can't keep an eye on things?

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 am

I can't even say the word 'squirrel' or Ruby runs outside and starts scanning the fence - and I had to rename her squirrel toy to a 'beaver' cuz she do the same when I'd say, "Go get your squirrel (toy)". She has not caught one yet...but not for lack of trying!!!

laxman11
Newborn Bully

Postby laxman11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:03 am

I have the same issue except Junior doesn't actually catch them... I have no idea why he is so insistant on on trying to grab them I question if it is a territory thing or not to be honest... if i tell him to stop he will but other then that he will chase and look for hours for them in the trees

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 am

Bailey is INSANE about squirrels. We too, can't say the word. Infact we always tease that if someone breaks in we'll just tell Bailey that they have a squirrel in their pocket.

Another word for her is rope. Because of the spring rope in the backyard. We used to have to spell it out, but now I think she can even pick up on that.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Yeah Toby is the same way about those pesky squirrels. I have no doubt if he was left unsupervised he'd score a couple.

i just thank my STARS that it is squirrels and NOT porcupines! Because Toby for SURE would have to investigate it and would of course feel a need to push it with his nose and for sure the pocupine would fire off a trillion quills and knowing my dog, as SOON as he got HURT by the thing ... it would be planted firmly in his head as a "forever enemy that MUST BE DESTROYED AT ALL COSTS and would wind up having thousands of quills packed into his mouth and down his throat.

And then of course it would be cast in stone from that day forward, that creature MUST be defeated ... lining him up for numerous repeat visits to the vets to be de-quilled.

As a result of knowing this, I now include a rodent, pest, wildlife, and venomous insets and critters search when looking for a new place to live besides California, and if they have porcupines - it's an automatic no ... cuz I know that headaches would be mine, LOL!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

[quote="frkkevin"
It is quite hilarious watching her run and punch while looking up at the birds flying by like she can catch one.. roflmao[/quote]
don't be so sure of that
Paige has now caught two birds in mid air! :eek:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 pm

I had Austin outside the other day and I was checking on my tomatoes that are hanging from a tree (growing in a five gallon bucket) and not watching him for a second, he sees a squirrel and whammo! I'm on my face on the grass. He's lucky he's cute or I would've strangled him! :po:

laxman11
Newborn Bully

Postby laxman11 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:10 am

That would be an interesting study I wonder if they were bred for small furry animal aggression.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 pm

laxman11 wrote:That would be an interesting study I wonder if they were bred for small furry animal aggression.

From what I understand, prey drive can be the basis for what makes the dog good at what they do (terrier, sighthound and herding breeds come to mind) so in that sense, prey drive as it translates to a working ability can be a trait that is selectively bred for in many different dog breeds.

In my dog's case, I can't call it "small furry animal aggression" since she would go after a horse too if given the chance – I just call her "dumb dog" lol

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:03 pm

laxman11 wrote:That would be an interesting study I wonder if they were bred for small furry animal aggression.

well, ah ... ALL terriers have that, it's a large part of what terriers were bred and designed for - rodent control.

Squirrels ARE rodents, thus why all terriers have an inbred and generic yen for hunting, catching and killing things like squirrels, rats, mice, gophers, etc etc.

Add in raccoons, badgers, snakes, porcupines, ferrets, moles, and the like and you have what a terrier by and large consider to be "game ON" if they ever spot one.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 pm

I feel sorry for a dog that is so far removed from their natural prey drive instincts that they don't love a good squirrel chase. lol

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:05 pm

I can't walk my dog without him breaking his neck (not lunging because he has a prong collar on walks) if he sees birds or squirrels. Its funny there is a tree that usually has birds sitting in it and even if there aren't birds in it that day, he will still stop to see...lol. Oh and when he was 6 months old, I found a copperhead in his stools (thank God it didn't hurt him)...I guess it was not as fast as the birds and squirrels...unreal!!

Return to “Training and Behavior”