Hatred for squirrels?!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Re: Hatred for squirrels?!

Postby Charlie282 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Our dog loves a good squirrel chase. However with the heat wave, he has downgraded to squirrel staring.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Bandits_Mom wrote:I can't walk my dog without him breaking his neck (not lunging because he has a prong collar on walks) if he sees birds or squirrels. Its funny there is a tree that usually has birds sitting in it and even if there aren't birds in it that day, he will still stop to see...lol. Oh and when he was 6 months old, I found a copperhead in his stools (thank God it didn't hurt him)...I guess it was not as fast as the birds and squirrels...unreal!!

Omg! lol Thankfully it didn't hurt him!!

They should want to chase squirrels, that's one of the super fun things about being a dog! :))

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:05 pm

OMG - I had to put Ruby in the house yesterday because she couldn't believe her eyes! Two squirrels were going overhead on the electric lines above the fence (because they have learned that Ruby patrols the fence) - and then one started the squirrel 'chattering' - and then it picked up the other one (I first thought they were fighting or mating) - turns out it was a momma squirrel and nearly grown baby - so she picks it up and it's clinging under her neck in a U shape with it's feet nearly poking her eyes out - I don't know how she could carry that weight and still see! So they continue on down the power line. In the meantime, Ruby is making the persistent ruckus that I'm sure neighbors hate and by then, momma and baby jumped down into a tree. I get Ruby into the house and they finally went on down the fence. She can chase momma all she wants but I didn't want to risk baby - DH is starting to hate the squirrels now, so I had to get onto him for poking a stick up the tree later on at a chattering squirrel (probably momma again). Now, I have TWO squirrel haters!

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Oh I know..I was on vacation and my mom had my dogs...I came home seen like a couple marks on his paw and face...he threw up that night I got home...but was not acting sick at all...so nothing too alarming...the next day I seen it in his stools and called my vet and they said he would of already been sick if it was going to make him sick..I was so freaked out about it cuz my pom just had gotten over a brown recluse bite...I have bought a house and moved since then!!!

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 am

HappyPuppy wrote:DH is starting to hate the squirrels now, so I had to get onto him for poking a stick up the tree later on at a chattering squirrel (probably momma again). Now, I have TWO squirrel haters!

LOL! Mine is starting to go after the blue jay that has a hatred for our cat, if he sees that jay and it's scolding us, he will go to the tree and shakeeeeeeeeeeeeee the limb the jay is on and then when the jay moves he shakes that one too. LOL.

Sooo funny to see a grown man shaking a tree limb with a blue jay scolding him at the top of it's lungs.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 am

Alyssa wrote:
HappyPuppy wrote:DH is starting to hate the squirrels now, so I had to get onto him for poking a stick up the tree later on at a chattering squirrel (probably momma again). Now, I have TWO squirrel haters!

LOL! Mine is starting to go after the blue jay that has a hatred for our cat, if he sees that jay and it's scolding us, he will go to the tree and shakeeeeeeeeeeeeee the limb the jay is on and then when the jay moves he shakes that one too. LOL.

Sooo funny to see a grown man shaking a tree limb with a blue jay scolding him at the top of it's lungs.

Ha ha!! Now he's talking about breaking out the sling shot!! Luckily the elastic bands are broken and I'm certainly not going to be the one who replaces them!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 pm

WackyJacki wrote:I feel sorry for a dog that is so far removed from their natural prey drive instincts that they don't love a good squirrel chase. lol

Better have a stern conversation with Dover. lol

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:33 pm

DK loves to chase the squirrels on the power lines in the back yard. I was doing some work on a baseball diamond one day and he had finally caught his squirrel. I think he was so shocked that he had finally caught it that he had no idea what to do with it! lol . Although on walks he doesn't pay attention to anything but me.

mutty
Adolescent Bully

Postby mutty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 am

omg i'm not alone !!! :crybaby: .
I've been dealing with my dog's squirrel obsession for the past year if not longer than that, we can't say the word because she goes nuts around the house, if we're walking and she sees one she starts whinning, lunging and just wants to get to the darn squirrel :po: , she knows "leave it" but her squirrel obsession is bigger than my words and even after we keep going with our walk she becomes very tense and starts pulling because she wants to look for the next squirrel.
She climbed a small tree one time which was a pain in the rear to get her off of it, i've worked with her and we did some training lessons and she's a little bit better but boy does she goes crazy over squirrels. :sad:

BLG119
Newborn Bully

Postby BLG119 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:15 am

WackyJacki wrote:I feel sorry for a dog that is so far removed from their natural prey drive instincts that they don't love a good squirrel chase. lol

Awww, Ella has no prey drive at all. Food drive, yes, but apparently no prey drive (other than her need to catch and chew on her brother). Birds and squirrels could sit on her head and she wouldn't think a thing about it. :huh?: The pigeons in our neighborhood have figured out that she won't bother them and don't bother getting out of our way on our walks. The cats run from one end of the apartment to the other, jumping over her head, and she never even looks up.

It's great for the cats, but has always struck me as pretty unusual - I grew up with a border collie who would herd birds from bush to bush.

mutty
Adolescent Bully

Postby mutty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 pm

BLG119 wrote:

Awww, Ella has no prey drive at all. Food drive, yes, but apparently no prey drive (other than her need to catch and chew on her brother). Birds and squirrels could sit on her head and she wouldn't think a thing about it. :huh?: The pigeons in our neighborhood have figured out that she won't bother them and don't bother getting out of our way on our walks. The cats run from one end of the apartment to the other, jumping over her head, and she never even looks up.

It's great for the cats, but has always struck me as pretty unusual - I grew up with a border collie who would herd birds from bush to bush.

ohh i would give anything for Robacha to be like that :pray

Return to “Training and Behavior”