"OFF!" means one thing

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

"OFF!" means one thing

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 pm

So our word for getting off things is "off"

simple right?

Flower understands it, but opts to get it, especially when it comes to counters. Just paws up not actually "on" the counter.

So explain to me how she cannot expel herself from the counter but when she mounts Capone and starts thrusting and I say "Flower, Off!" she actually stops and gets off.

WTF?
I just don't get dogs. I mean I am speaking English lol

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Re: "OFF!" means one thing

Postby chewbecca » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:So our word for getting off things is "off"

simple right?

Flower understands it, but opts to get it, especially when it comes to counters. Just paws up not actually "on" the counter.

So explain to me how she cannot expel herself from the counter but when she mounts Capone and starts thrusting and I say "Flower, Off!" she actually stops and gets off.

WTF?

Well, apparently the counters are of higher value than humping Capone? lol

That makes no sense from a human perspective.

Dogs are weird...

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:30 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:So our word for getting off things is "off"

simple right?

WTF?

roflmao

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Ashes will gladly hop off a counter for an off, but stop humping? No way!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Does she really understand it? Dogs are well capable of understanding something in one context, and not in another. Knowing that "off" means feet off while on another dog doesn't mean that she'd know it meant the same thing while on a counter.

It's also possible that as suggested, getting on the counter is just higher value than humping.

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

I think its higher value because there might be food on those counters...LOL!!!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah, I honestly don't know. The off for the counters is almost a blind ignoring. So could it be that she does not get it???

So far she has learned everything from watching Capone. And all that carp she gets! I'm even working daily on "leave it" with food and she gets that. In fact quite beautifully!

So what is the best way then to reinforce the "OFF" if she is not getting it when it comes to counters. Sure food, but it's not like at the moment she jumps front paws on it that I have a treat handy as I'm often cooking, doing the dishes etc.

I'm open to ideas :)

Normally, "off" for counters involves a snap in front of the face (not in the face) and a sweeping point to the floor or just sweeping point at the floor and they get off.

When she is humping it is just a "Flower, Off!" and voila! Flower gets off.

I'm willing to change, but old habits die hard lol

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:[...] So what is the best way then to reinforce the "OFF" if she is not getting it when it comes to counters. Sure food, but it's not like at the moment she jumps front paws on it that I have a treat handy as I'm often cooking, doing the dishes etc. [...]

Keep treats handy in a dish somewhere she can't reach, like inside a cabinet or on top of the fridge. Condition her that a click of your tongue means "treat is coming". Then you can reinfoce the "OFF" instantaneously with a click of your tongue, which buys you several seconds to wipe your hands and get a treat.
PitBull-Lady wrote:I'm willing to change, but old habits die hard lol

Yeah, the human condition. "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"Only one. But... the lightbulb has to really want to change."

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm

wegobad wrote:Yeah, the human condition. "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"Only one. But... the lightbulb has to really want to change."

Oh, I'm so stealing that one...

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 am

Try a sharp Nuh AH (sooo do not even know how to spell it lol).

You know that noise you make when you see some kid or animal misbehaving or ABOUT to misbehave or thinking about misbehaving and you want to check them and make that negative ah ah ah noise?

With Toby I find that making the noise works to underscore that I am serious and that I am, well aware he HAS heard me and is not complying.

I'm finding that he has learned that us clearing our throats is also the same thing - like if we give him a command that we KNOW he knows what it is - and he doesn't do it and we clear our throats with a loud *ahem* 99% of the time, the little dickens will then choose to do the command *perfectly*.

Like we tell him to sit up, he'll try to give us this sloppy thing that barely qualifies as a sit let alone a sit up lol, and one *ahem* and poof - it's picture perfect.

I'm starting to use it with walks too, that when he starts breaking a heel, and getting ahead of me, I will clear my throat, and he will stop and either wait for me to catch up., or if he sees that I am waiting, he will come back to me and sit until I resume walking, and when we resume walking, he's at heel.

I try to encourage him to respect the throat clearing by praising him and making it a good thing for him to do - because it's a lot better than repeating a command over and over and having the durn dog just ignore me. lol.

So maybe some sort of "parental I'm serious and not playing around, so you better mind yourself buddy and do as you were told" sort of noise will help underscore the initial command when they try to play that selective hearing gambit.lol.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 pm

We have the same deal as Alyssa, we say "hey!" when telling gren he is doing something he shouldnt do. And my bf inadvertantly trained him "Now!" as an "im serious bud!" command (which im trying to wean him off of, i want him to do it right the first time!.. silly boys).

Grendel has never jumped on the counter but he has jumped on tables and chairs (mostly when chasing the cat). We did the whole "hey!" and push him down (not to hurt him just to shoo him) and that worked... But i found the best way was a sharp "hey!" to get his attention and "lets play" while i call him and run away.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm

I've found reinforcing four on the floor to be helpful too. Whenever she does get near the counter without putting paws up, praise her. When she is up on the counter, a quick "Ah ah" or "Hey" or whatever you choose. As soon as those feet hit the floor, praise.

It might not hurt to try something like "Get down" in place of 'off' too...to her 'off' might mean stop humping, and when she's on the counter she's thinkin' "Whaaaa? I am not humping the counter!"

Mina started counter surfing for a while, and all it really took was like I said, to reinforce her when she's four on the floor and catch her immediately when paws go up to interrupt. Can't say she's 100% but she is a lot better than she was, and only 7 months so I'm hoping (please oh please) that when that flaky teenage brain of hers develops some more, that it's solid.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:52 pm

That's actually what I've been doing this week. She's been testing the waters a lot this week. She's in evil puppy mode!

It is getting better but dang... I'm tired of having a party every time she does the 'normal' stuff lol

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:31 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:That's actually what I've been doing this week. She's been testing the waters a lot this week. She's in evil puppy mode!

It is getting better but dang... I'm tired of having a party every time she does the 'normal' stuff lol

lol the teenage period was brutal, and one reason why i dont ever want a puppy again (but they are so damn cute!)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 pm

oh my dog she's friggin adorable and you can see her little mind being so challenged but dang.... she's getting to the point where you almost hate the next step. I mean, how many shoes of mine do you have to eat, fox holes fully 'scented' do you have to climb in... and golly darn it, stop pawing me when I'm sleeping!

Now, she's full of energy and I swear can jump 6 feet in the air (and no... I have not asked her to or enhanced it, she just likes jumping.)

No, I don't want your stick inside.
No, I don't like your nails on my face
No, we've been over this, you cannot stand on the coffee table.
How did you get up h-e-r-e??
Hey, my legs on the stairs are not for ramming.
No, you cannot eat the coaster, or the post-its or my sock
No, pens are not for eating

and yet she sits when I ask her to
lays dows and stays down for a split second before the toosh starts to pop up, still proofing that one
she waits and is learning the leave it command like a champ, so it's not all that bad lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”