Bored dog indoors

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Bored dog indoors

Postby ina.click » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Ayax has started getting quite bored indoors.
He benefits of much more outside walks than before actually and I'm guessing that might actually be a cause of his boredom?
I can't get him dead tired though, no matter how much we play. Only times he gets really tired is after a play with another bullie breed dog and we don't meet those on a daily basis.

He started showing his boredom vocally, sighing loud or moaning. I really feel bad about it. It's just that I cannot play with him indoors fetch and the only other games he likes are:

Tug: I can't hang on to that tug rope for more than 10 minutes, he shakes my scrawny arms like spaghetti. And he would like to do that for hours
the "let's scratch mom with our paws in a humping attempt" game, which I bloody forbid and correct every single time from obvious reasons. :po: After a cuddling or if I have a lot of close contact to him (hugs, wrestling) he will eventually get that "hai baby :cool: " face and attempt to hump.
The plastic bottle game. Which cannot be allowed after a specific hour because it's really noisy. I give him a plastic bottle, I play around with him, he gets it completely flat in few minutes and that's it.

Other toys :
- if they are indestructible, they;re not fun
- if they can be destroyed, he destroys and looses interest in an average of 4 mins.

breaks my heart to see him sighing and bored but what can i do? Any cuddle-tickle-wrestle play results in him getting overexcited and scratching me / knocking me down / humping. We can't play fetch in our tiny condo without setting the neighbors nerves on fire.

Do you have any suggestions for things that would occupy him some time, such as play suggestions, self made toys...anything?
He's really a good dog, just that I need to find him something to be happy about inside too.

Munkos
Super Bully

Re: Bored dog indoors

Postby Munkos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm

We play a few games - you need to be actively involved though.

A lot of dogs (mine are like this) get tired much easier and better from mental stimulation than physical. These dogs are meant to go all day physically, mental stimulation is tiring though.

One of the games is with a muffin tin. I put a piece of kibble and place different toys on top that fit in the muffin cups or block it in a way to make the dog work to figure it out. They either have to nose the toy out, pick it up, shove it out of the way, etc. I change it up each round - sometimes there are kibble under each toy, sometimes not, sometimes there are different/less/more toys. Sometimes certain tins will have 5 treats and some will only have one, or none.

My dogs really enjoy this game and figured out how it works quickly. It's also a good game to help practice patience and sit/down stays while you reset the game.

We also play the 'shell' game. I'll hide a piece of kibble under a cup/paper bowl and have a few empty ones and rotate them and the dogs have to sniff and nose and scratch at them to find the kibble.

We play *find it* where I hide a toy or treat in the room when they're in another room and they have to find that. You might need to teach them how to sniff something out and start small to get to the point where they can come into a room and know what to do.

You can also hide treats all over the living room and let him get to work trying to find them on his own.

Hide and seek is always good, but it's noisey and high energy.

Do you give him stuffed kongs/bully sticks/nylabones? Things to keep him busy during downtime? All three are favorites in this house.

You can take a kong/bully stick or anything chewie and safe (and healthy!) - wrap it in newspaper/paper towel and stuff it in something, like an empty box, paper towel roll (for a bully stick) etc, to make him work for the reward inside.

Dante's favorite toy right now is an empty plastic Folgers coffee canister that I rinsed out for him. He'll roll that thing around all day trying to get the lid off, and carry it around by the little handle indentations on it.

We also do things like let the pups destroy random things every now and then. An empty box, empty paper towel roll, whatever we find that is safe for them that they won't eat and we don't mind having shredded. We have a tattered blanket that they drag around and play tug with when they're together.

There is lots to do!

ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 pm

For some reason all th edible chew toys are not on his taste.
He's literally afraid of some, ignores others or will simply hide them under my pillar.

Honestly this burst of "let's do something" is welcomed and a good sign. It all started when he got sick and along with treatment we switched him on a kibble for sensible allergic dogs.

I swear that food has done wonders. His breath isn't bad anymore. At all. Doesn't smell like anything.
His coat is nice and shiny and stopped falling, also the "dog smell" which I thought to be normal completely disappeared, I can rub him all day long and my hands will not carry the slightest scent.
Outside, he's much more action-oriented now. He wants to do stuff, therefore I perfected the fetch game and now we play fetch for hours. Before, he would just fast trot around bushes, pee, poo, he would get bored, ask to go back inside.
Now he's getting zoomies like he would be 6 months again.

I know it's not bad behavior and I welcome his sudden explosion of energy. I just try to find my way in adapting from a mellow sleepy dog to a high-burst action one.

I will try out your games, they sound really fun. The search for the toy works outside for sure, but only as long as I am by his side or at least pointing him where to sniff.
He's a smart boy and I'm sure he will pick up quick.

I also let him destroy stuff as well, trouble is he enjoys the noisy ones and we can't always make noise.

ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

under my pillow, not pillar* I mean.
Damn automatic spelling check.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Have you tried work to eat puzzles?

The Bob-a-Lot gets rave reviews from my crew, but you could also use things like the Buster Cube, Tug A Jug, Atomic Ball, Frozen Kongs, Nina Ottosson interactive work to eat puzzles. These are all great because while they are having fun they are getting mental stimulation simultaneously. No substitute in my book.

Also, do some short obedience work in the house. Teach a fun trick, work on sits, downs and stays. Up the anty and go for duration, or add more and more distractions the more solid he gets in his commands. Introduce clicker training if you haven't already, and perhaps start working on "101 things to do with a box". Make it a game! Have fun, it doesn't produce a lot of noise, and takes no strength. :thumbsup:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 pm

For tiring him outside have you tried a springpole or flirtpole? The former is the only thing that comes close to tiring my male out, walks do nothing.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 pm

GoingPostal wrote:For tiring him outside have you tried a springpole or flirtpole? The former is the only thing that comes close to tiring my male out, walks do nothing.

Grendel is the same (before brie), unless we went on a good 2 hour+ walk.

We have a bunch of different work to eat toys and by far the tug a jug is our favourite.

How much training do you do with your dog? I would up it and teach some new tricks!

ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:14 am

Hello

A spring pole would be magnificent, however I cannot install that on public property :/
We have a long mini-garden in front of our building that's where we go out and play fetch and such. Nobody minds us running around (especially since he does not wreck any flowers, he avoids them) but for installing a pole, that might get me some funny looks.
As for the toys you recommended, I had to google most of them to find out what they are.
We don't have them in Romania :( But I think I figured out the concept and I could manufacture him some.

As a response to the training question, with Ayax we only covered the obedience basics, more exactly we trained him with the purpose of keeping him safe from others and others safe from him: sit, stay, wait, down, heel, drop it, fetch,come. And "where's the toy?" when I ask him to search stuff

I will actually purchase a clicker but I have to find some healthy treats. After his recent allergy issues, we were forbidden to ever give him anything else except his hypoallergenic kibble and although he enjoys it, I doubt it can be interesting enough for a treat.

His kibble contains ...[hang on gonna read the label]
...fish (salmon and trout), rice, fish oil, and vitamins basically.

If I am limited to that, I'm not sure how could I make some fish treats.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 am

Do the training with kibble INSTEAD of meals.

Return to “Training and Behavior”