BEST TRAINING TREAT

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
wink03
Newborn Bully

BEST TRAINING TREAT

Postby wink03 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 pm

i have seen tons of post on the best dog food, but nothing on treats.
Want do you think the best training treat is for a pit puppy?

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: BEST TRAINING TREAT

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm

if you're going to be giving a lot, i say cheerios. i normally use honey nut, and my boy seems to love them. i like that they're the right size, easy to eat, and they can eat quite a few. i use clicker training, so any progession basically gets a click and treat. i also may break up a piece of cheese, and i precut/tear some of the treats you find in stores. if you do that, you need to make sure you know about how many pieces is one treat so you don't over feed treats.

the best way to go about using treats is to vary your treats during training... that way the dog never knows what they're going to get, and are always excited to work for treats.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm a huge fan of the natural balance rolls - you can dice them up and it ends up being way cheaper than packaged training treats, and healthier, too. Also, diced up cheese or chicken, and for work on recall, sweet potato baby food :) Keep in mind when training its best to use soft treats, and they really don't need to be any larger than the size of a pea. They just need to be a tiny taste, not a meal. And don't forget game rewards can be just as effective. There is no one size fits all training reward.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:12 am

i like dehydrated liver, and pupperoni even though it isnt the healthiets.

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 am

My dog LOVES the Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds for treats YUCK!!!! Not the healthiest thing in the world for him, but it's the only thing that works for him. But then again my dog is a stubborn jackass and he's a Beagle.....so what is good for him may not be good for a APBT.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL REALLY BUT LIKE I SAID IT'S THE ONLY THING MY DOG WORKS FOR

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 am

Stormi wrote:There is no one size fits all training reward.

Agreed. My training treat of choice is hot dogs. My male is an adult, though, so I don't exactly recommend overloading your puppy with hot dogs. But, each dog will be different. I knew dogs who really didn't care for hot dogs. You want to use something your dog LOVES. And if you're using it a lot, you might want to pick something a bit healthier. Those Natural Balance rolls are nice, too.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:03 am

Whatever your dog likes best.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:58 am

Ziwi Peak dehydrated dog food (looks like jerky treats), Ziwi peak treats, and hot dogs are all doggy crack in this house.
I use hot dogs as a high value treat while working on Luke's resource guarding when we get to higher value items.
For puppy training classes I tend to use orijen or acana dog kibble because they work and because I can get them trial size bags for like $2-$3 a bag.
But I also use higher value treats because right now we are working on minor recall in puppy class and my foodies need higher value items to get them to come to me. lol

wink03
Newborn Bully

Postby wink03 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm

i hve been looking at the natural balance rolls, and ton of people have told mee to use small slices of hotdog every no and then.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:14 pm

I use pieces of cheese or Zuke's training treats I really like. My dogs LOVE to work for those!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Love these:

Freeze Dried Beef Tripe
http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/60201.html

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:40 pm

For my JRT and Kelpie mix we use dehydrated liver

my pitbull will eat anything, she works just as hard for her regular kibble as she would for steak..lol

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Love these:

Freeze Dried Beef Tripe

Are these smelly like fresh or canned tripe?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:21 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:Love these:

Freeze Dried Beef Tripe

Are these smelly like fresh or canned tripe?

They do have a tripe essance but I find them totally do-able to handle. They are super serious top level training treats for ours so we don't bring them out that often.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:51 pm

We mainly use Zuke's Minis and Dogswell chicken and duck jerkies and the dehydrated sweet potato. We also use dehydrated chicken liver, dried herring and small biscuits. IMO, it's nice to use a range of different treats and there are times when we like to use something extra smelly (like the dried herring) as a "greater value" reward depending on what we're trying to do. Sometimes, you may want to reserve a specific treat to reward a particular behavior.

A neighbor down the street has treat jars on a windowsill outside her house and everyone is welcome to take a treat for their dogs. They're usually some kind of biscuit that I would never buy but because my dog only gets them when we go by that neighbors house, she thinks they're the most special biscuits in the world which is good because there's also a bird feeder 10ft away from the treat jars and I've been able to train Molly to not chase birds with those biscuits :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”