Guess who can have bones in his crate now?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Guess who can have bones in his crate now?

Postby chewbecca » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Luke.
That's right.

This happened on accident. See, we allow Ophie a bone in her crate, and we are such in a habit of shutting crate doors as soon as the dogs are out, that it's never an issue.

But apparently Ophie had chewed her bone small enough that Luke was able to slip it through the crate bars (oops). And he took off with it to his bed in the living room. I thought he had his nylabone, but wasn't sure (and wanted to make sure he hadn't grabbed something that wasn't for dogs), so I went over to check on him. I stood over him, and said, "What do you have Luke?" and he stepped back, looked at me, looked at the bone, must've realized I wasn't going to take it from him, laid back down and started chewing on the bone.
And when I asked him and he stepped back, I thought in my head, "OH CRAP. Hope hotdogs will work to get that back!"

No growling, no sideways glance, NOTHING.

I didn't reach in and grab it from him, obviously, but when I felt it was time for him to get it up, he didn't even blink twice at the bone when he saw me open the fridge to grab hot dogs.

So, when I had to clean my rats' cage, and the pups had to be crated for me to do so, I told Ben, "Give him a bone in his crate. I don't know if I should try this yet, but go ahead and give him a bone."

So, he gave him one. No growling. Nothing.
In fact, anytime we went near his crate, he gave us that happy puppy look where he looked relaxed. No sideway look with the ears plastered back on his head like he was uncomfortable.
He looked at us more out of curiosity, as if we might have something for him.

I bought him a large marrow bone today because I was out of the knee cap bones, and I decided that this bone was going to be way more valuable (most likely, anyway) than the knee cap bone he had before, that I would hold it while he chewed on it, and then I'd trade for chunks of hot dog.
He went for the hot dog right away.

I finally put him in his crate with it, and no growling or any kind of guarding behavior shown.
And he's in there now making a racket with it.

Oh, I made sure to scrape about 80% of the marrow out of it before giving it to him.
And Ophie got a bone as well.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Guess who can have bones in his crate now?

Postby Maven » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Woohoo!!! Nicely done Rebecca!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbsup:
YAY Luke!!!

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Good wok!!!

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Why did you scrape out the marrow?

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks, guys!!!! I'm really proud of Mr. Luke.

I scraped out some of the marrow because too much marrow is known for either causing loose stools, or in Ella's case, explosive diarrhea. I didn't want to risk it with the pups. :))

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 am

sounds good to me!

I love crating and throwing bully sticks in while we're doing stuff that the dogs should not be out for like moving furniture, having the front door open, or just simply having a bully stick.

:thumbsup:

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:sounds good to me!

I love crating and throwing bully sticks in while we're doing stuff that the dogs should not be out for like moving furniture, having the front door open, or just simply having a bully stick.

:thumbsup:

oh yeah! This is going to do away with the majority of the guilt feeling I have whenever I have to crate him.
This, like, makes my life SOOOO much better.
And even better, it makes HIS life better.

I didn't realize just how much a dog can exhaust himself chewing on a bone. And it REALLY satiates that NEED to chew for puppies/dogs. And he now goes willingly into his crate, and so does Ophie. Ophie has learned the value of dog chews FROM Luke. She watches him chew on antlers and other chewies outside of his crate.

But before recently, I could NEVER give him a bone or bullystick because they are actually edible items. Or at least partially edible.
And they are very valuable items. He was wanting to go BACK into his crate to chew on the bone more. And we all know that a tired pit bull is the happiest and BEST pit bull to own.

We also did our walk differently this morning. Didn't make it far because we are working on NOT pulling. He acts like an ass as soon as we step outside. He gets SOOOO excited. And if he sees a squirrel, no way, no how am I getting his attention. No matter WHAT I do.
So, everytime he started to pull more than I liked I said "No pulling", and we turned around. And if he still pulled when we turned back around, we turned around again and just kept doing that over and over until he finally picked up to walk nicely on leash. He was so exhausted from doing just that, that he was yawning.

I also find Luke to be very...human infant/toddler-like in the way he acts when he's tired. You know how a human child will sometimes behave more hyper or "wired" when they are tired? They'll run around more and become goofy or just uncontrollable?
Luke gets like that when he's tired, then he'll just crash and pass out.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

Oh got ya,thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:

Return to “Training and Behavior”