Veronica & her Nina Ottosson puzzle

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Veronica & her Nina Ottosson puzzle

Postby Jazzy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:13 pm

She really likes it.

I think we're going to have to get some of the other puzzles as well.

She got this one for Christmas; I think now that she has figured it out, I am going to start using only 2 or 3 treats...but really good, smelly ones.

heartbullies

Re: Veronica & her Nina Ottosson puzzle

Postby heartbullies » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:06 pm

cool! go miss v! she is so delicate and gentle with the toy! of course, this is because she is such a lady.

i have been scheming up ways to create homemade (read: cheap) versions of dog puzzles; so far i just have a muffin tin with tennis balls in the cups and a treat hidden under one or two of the balls. lol

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 am

That's awesome! :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Very cool! Our trainer has one of these for her BCs and really likes it.

Stella wouldn't be so gentle about it. I imagine her trying to tear it to shreds. lol I reallly want to get one though!

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:32 am

I love it! Did that come from the shop with those massive bully sticks? I thought we saw some there.

Tonight I tried to desensitize Ruca to a cone that she has to wear for a bit, by C&T for getting closer & touching etc. I placed the cone all put together, neck-opening up on the floor, with treats inside the cone. Brutus just shoved her aside and kicked the cone over to get at those beloved treats. When I giggled and told him that's not the right answer, he shoved his head right through the cone and he came back up with the cone stuck on his big ol fat head.

I could imagine Brutus being put at one of those puzzles... kicking box furiously, spinning and chasing it all around the room, eventually get frustrated, pick it up, and bite-hold-shake it. But that's how my bull-in-a-china-shop goes; Brute force all the way.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 am

heartbullies wrote:cool! go miss v! she is so delicate and gentle with the toy! of course, this is because she is such a lady.

i have been scheming up ways to create homemade (read: cheap) versions of dog puzzles; so far i just have a muffin tin with tennis balls in the cups and a treat hidden under one or two of the balls. lol

I did that one for Khan. He more wanted to just take the tennis balls and play with them roflmao

Veronica did a great job with her puzzle. Is that Grammy I hear in the background?!

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 am

She's so gentle with it! Did you have to teach her to handle it that way or was it natural? I have the same puzzle and the first time I gave it to my dogs they went completely stoopid - shoving it around with their noses, pawing frantically, grunting, whining, and generally freaking out. We had to practice how to be nice to the puzzle. lol

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 pm

HollyJoy wrote:I love it! Did that come from the shop with those massive bully sticks? I thought we saw some there.

Tonight I tried to desensitize Ruca to a cone that she has to wear for a bit, by C&T for getting closer & touching etc. I placed the cone all put together, neck-opening up on the floor, with treats inside the cone. Brutus just shoved her aside and kicked the cone over to get at those beloved treats. When I giggled and told him that's not the right answer, he shoved his head right through the cone and he came back up with the cone stuck on his big ol fat head.

I could imagine Brutus being put at one of those puzzles... kicking box furiously, spinning and chasing it all around the room, eventually get frustrated, pick it up, and bite-hold-shake it. But that's how my bull-in-a-china-shop goes; Brute force all the way.

I've seen them at that shop: Psychic Kitty; but you can't always count on them to have them in stock. I ordered mine from Clean Run:
http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fusea ... gory_ID=77

btw; laughed out loud picturing Brutus going after the treats like a mack truck and coming up with the cone on his head. lol lol

FBODGRL wrote:Veronica did a great job with her puzzle. Is that Grammy I hear in the background?!

lol , yes that is Grammy cheering Ms. V. on in the background!

PitFriend wrote:She's so gentle with it! Did you have to teach her to handle it that way or was it natural? I have the same puzzle and the first time I gave it to my dogs they went completely stoopid - shoving it around with their noses, pawing frantically, grunting, whining, and generally freaking out. We had to practice how to be nice to the puzzle.

I would say it's sort of natural; although I would add that she is a huge wus in most areas because we babied her since she was a puppy. :oops: So the gentleness comes sort of naturally; as does her firm belief that she could not possibly jump onto the backseat of the car and thus forever will need a boost.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:50 pm

You could STILL get her to jump in to the backseat... We lifted Ruby into the back of our truck for the first 3 or 4 years we had her because I thought her hip condition prohibited her but then I thought, this is ridiculous... if she CAN jump into it, then I'm not going to lift her. So we tried it a few times and with lots of coaxing, she got it and now will willingly jump into the back of my truck which is DEFINITELY higher than a regular back seat. Give it a try...and on the couch too!! :thumbsup:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Looks like a very happy gal... :)

Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby Lex&Lily » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:57 pm

She's a delight, where did you find the puzzle?

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:15 pm

oh my gosh I love that thing! I would also like to know where you found such an awesome toy

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:36 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:You could STILL get her to jump in to the backseat... We lifted Ruby into the back of our truck for the first 3 or 4 years we had her because I thought her hip condition prohibited her but then I thought, this is ridiculous... if she CAN jump into it, then I'm not going to lift her. So we tried it a few times and with lots of coaxing, she got it and now will willingly jump into the back of my truck which is DEFINITELY higher than a regular back seat. Give it a try...and on the couch too!! :thumbsup:

Right now I am trying to teach her to jump on her Grammy's bed; because my mother really is too old to be boosting her.

So far, she has attempted to jump once, did not clear the bed and slid down the side. Then after that she stood on her tip toes and threw her chest on the bed and whined.

It is humiliating. High energy, tough pit bull my rear end.

On a separate note; we ordered the puzzle from Clean run. They have several different styles:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fusea ... ory_ID=435

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:26 pm

If the lovely Veronica doesn't change her mind about the bed maybe a strategically placed chair or other furniture would help her up :)
She's so cute!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry, Jazzy - I meant to comment on the puzzle thing too!! :oops: V is definitely dainty about working hers. I have tried the muffin tin + tennis ball 'game' before but balls are equal to or better than treats, so it didn't quite work out - I'm trying to bookmark that puzzle site but they're not letting me! Neat ideas, those brainteasers are!!! My mom made me laugh the other day re 'canine mind expanding' -- she asked me if I really wanted a dog that 'could think for herself' ...!! I decided that, yes, in fact, I do !!! (but I had to think about it for a sec LOL)

Return to “Training and Behavior”