Embarrassed to ask, but...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Embarrassed to ask, but...

Postby RoxieRules » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 am

Well folks I have a new and WONDERFUL man in my life. He stayed over for the first time last weekend and Roxie was NOT happy at all! She is used to sleeping with me and I get that. BUT, when it was time for us to make "whoopie" she had a fit!!!! Whining and growling and pacing. It was awful and so embarrassing! This guy will never come over again!

What do I do? What do YOU do?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

jamielvsaustin

Re: Embarrassed to ask, but...

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 am

Crate her in another room and give her some sort of treat/toy to play with.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 am

I'd suggest this:

http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/149/Teaching-Your-Dog-to-Settle.aspx

It will take time and you'll have to work up to it with distracctions (someone else there "wrestling" with Mommy). It's that or crate training, or just put her out of the room and close the door.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:11 am

Buy her favorite treats - the highest value stuff that she never gets - and have him (and only him - never from you!) give that to her. You want her to think he brings good things, not that his coming over means she gets kicked to the curb.

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Thx for all the suggestions!!

Rox hasn't been crated in a really long time so i'm kinda afraid to do that. But I like the idea of my guy bringing her very special treats.

Anything else I can do?

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey, don't be embarrassed. If the guy can't laugh this off, he's not worth seeing again anyway!

When we first adopted our Vanya, we put him on the other side of a room-divider bookcase when my husband and I first wanted a date. (Ok, euphemism). The pup got so excited he tried to wiggle through the bookcase, and next thing we knew, a huge pile of books tumbled onto the bed, followed by a very happy pit bull.

Habituation is your friend here. The more "dates" you have, the more your dog will get used to them and soon she'll be snoring right through them.

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:51 am

tiva wrote:Hey, don't be embarrassed. If the guy can't laugh this off, he's not worth seeing again anyway!

Yuhndi, use to chuck a fit a josh for hugging me, we done what Amie suggested with the treats she loves etc, she got over it and ended up sleeping on a couch in our bedroom.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:43 am

The first time Oscar met Rob, he was fine. The next time, Rob was in the house sitting on the couch, and put his arm around me. Oscar strode up to the couch like he was in a western, stepped both front feet onto Rob's lap, looked him dead in the eye and let out a deep growl.

Thank goodness Rob is a behaviorist so I don't have to tell him how to react to things like that!!!

I went out and got Oscar's favorite goodies and every time Rob came over he would give Oscar some (along with appropriate behavior, little to no eye contact, sideways greetings, etc).

Within five or six visits, we had this:

And last week, Rob trimmed Oscar's nails, which no vet has been able to accomplish in over 7 years.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:15 am

Amie wrote:Image

Is there an "Awwww" icon? That is such a sweet picture!

I would also suggest start getting her used to the crate. Make it very positive, give her a nice yummy frozen kong and work up crating her from 15 minutes to...however long you guys need for...private activities. :))

I would practice the crating without your houseguest, so she doesn't associate being in her crate with his being at the house.

Then, maybe after the whoopie, if both parties are agreeable, invite the dog into bed for some snuggling.

(Maybe that's just me, sex is great and all, but if you don't want to snuggle with me and my dog...then let yourself out and call me later.)

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

Ashes has a very nice dog bed for such occasions, she knows the commands to go sit in her bed, although the majority of the time she sleeps in bed with me. I think she can suffer through one night on her own, unfortunately the guy I see sometimes (no other way to put it I guess...) after everything is done is like "awwwnoo, Ashes can't sleep on the floor, she can sleep in the bed, does she need a blanket?"

The cat I grew up with was very similar to Amie's Oscar. He was the sweetest love muffin cat you could ever meet, completely people slut to any stranger. He loved all my friends. The day I brought my first boyfriend over (we weren't even doing anything but sitting on the floor and talking) Pluto's world changed. He was sitting on the arm of a chair glaring with one of the hardest, meanest stares I have ever seen come out of an animal. He was NOT pleased and seemed to know instinctively he was more then a friend.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:25 am

tiva wrote:Habituation is your friend here. The more "dates" you have, the more your dog will get used to them and soon she'll be snoring right through them.

Hooray! Best advice ever. :)

Booker sleeps like a rock, and I just make sure he's got his crate full of bedding and his dog bed and some toys nearby so he doesn't have to leave to the far end of the house just to lie down. He doesn't like sleeping in the bed when 2 people are in it since he streeetches out, but I make sure he comes up in the AM for snugglies and belly rubs and love. It also helps when your partner loves cooking bacon and sneaks pieces of it to your dog in the kitchen (along with pieces of everything else being cooked for dinner or breakfast).

...and yeah, what Jazzy said. Otis, your dude sounds nice!

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

Jazzy wrote:(Maybe that's just me, sex is great and all, but if you don't want to snuggle with me and my dog...then let yourself out and call me later.)

It's not just you. lol

I got Moira when I was still with my ex-husband. He and I were already sleeping separately at that point, so Moira has slept with me since she was a wee little puppy. She was with me through my divorce, moving twice, meeting my current (and forever) husband, etc. So hubby knew from day one that me and the dog were a package deal. She liked him right away, which helped a lot. :thumbsup: Moira isn't real fond of being asked to leave the bed, but she will grudgingly comply. lol Now that we have added Lala, she just gets put in a different room. She's good about getting off the bed when asked, but she's still working on the concept of STAYING off.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm

roflmao roflmao roflmao

My dogs both know not to come on the bed when the fun stuff is happening, but once in awhile Fiona will put her front paws up and check us out. Always makes for a laugh!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Just keep trying... ;) Ruby tried to 'rescue' us once or twice early LOL on and eventually got over it...

Return to “Training and Behavior”