Leash biter

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Leash biter

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 pm

I have a young boxer in one of my classes who is doing WONDERFUL. However, the only thing that he and his family are struggling with is his leash biting. Once he's being walked, he'll start biting the leash or his harness (Which has a long attachment since it's a no-pull). It happens during class, and I've used bitter apple, bitter yuck, and tethered him. But he'll keep going after the leash and tugging as hard as possible.

What are other ways to deter biting?
Thanks!

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Leash biter

Postby MissKitty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

A fast remedy that I have used with shelter dogs or dogs I am only dealing with for a short time, is to use a chain leash. All of them found that to be far less enjoyable to chew on.
But for a dog that I actually want to train, I first let them have a good long romp off leash, then I would lure them into the heel position and teach heel, once they begin to understand that, I would add the leash, treating for position and eye contact and it seemed to fix the problem.

But I don't think either of these methods are helpful to you :oops:

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Yeah, it wouldnt work well in the PetSmart setting lol

But I appreciate your answer! I may have to use a chain leash during classes, but I want to offer a long term solution for the Pet Parents. This is their first dog in about ten years, and he's a rescue. I want to be able to work as hard as they are.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Don't use a chain leash if they're working on leash walking behavior. Its counter productive to expect a dog to walk on a loose leash when they're getting whacked in the side with a chain :) The quickest way to extinguish the behavior would be teathering, and if that isn't possible, stepping on the leash and totally blowing the dog off. The trouble with the bitter sprays is some dogs like the taste, and, the behavior may very well continue or reappear if they were to change leashes. It takes a lot of patience on their part, but its much more effecient to extinguish the behavior the old fashioned way, and teach the pup some impulse control at the same time. When extinguishing behavior, remind them that it does get worse before it gets better, much like us humans when we deal with extinction bursts (think of when you hit the light switch and the light doesn't come on. Do you give up immediately, or do you flip the switch harder?). The tugging and pulling has been greatly reinforcing, so it takes lots of repition for the dog to realize that this behavior isn't working anymore. Alternatively, since he's a tugger, get them set up with an appropriate tug toy so he can get his fun out that way!

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 pm

My bf likes to take the dogs roller blading. Our youngest pulls just fine and has a great time.
Dozer loves to do it, but he gets excited and bites the leash/harness.
We have to use a chain leash when its time for him to roller blade to keep him from tugging on it.
As soon as he has a nylon leash though, he goes back to the person who is even slower than I pulling thing...

Good luck with that pup!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:57 pm

why not try using a flat buckle, with a traffic lead, or a shorter type of leash, and teaching a heeling behavior, using the luring mentioned above.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

What about teaching leave it, and applying it to the leash?

I found this by kikopup, I trust her. Maybe you could tihnk of a way of incorporating this game into things...

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I can not teach him Heel. He is in a beginner class, and that is part of the Intermediate curriculum. By policy, I can't teach out of order. I can't even skip around weeks. It's a pretty tight curriculum. :(

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm

This has been an interesting thread to read as we have an adult Pit bull with 3 legs at the Humane Society named Butch who grabs, pulls and hold onto the leash when ever you put it on him and while you are walking him. You must have a squeaky toy or rope toy for him to carry or you are never getting your leash back. It is a really, really annoying behavior.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:I can not teach him Heel. He is in a beginner class, and that is part of the Intermediate curriculum. By policy, I can't teach out of order. I can't even skip around weeks. It's a pretty tight curriculum. :(

can you give them ideas to try at home??

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Two leashes - drop the one he's biting. (or in a confined/fenced area, drop the leash entirely)

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Amie's 2 leash trick worked well for us. We also attached the leash on the back ring of his harness for a while, so it was harder to grab.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 pm

When grendel used to do that I would usually walk toward him to keep the leash slack and not give him the satisfaction of playing tug with it.

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am

I'm working with a pit bull at the SPCA right now who is a terrible leash tugger! Cute dog, but looks like he was used as a hog dog (found out at the refuge = hunting area) and has scars all over. Acts like he's never been on a leash/collar before. For him, stepping on the leash is working so far, but I might try Amie's 2 leash trick, I hadn't heard of that before. I only started working with him last week, so we'll see how well he does in the coming weeks.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

A little OT, but I knew a dog who *loved* bitter apple. I would squirt it and she would catch it in her mouth, it was one of her favorite things to do. She was also a boxer lol

2 leash trick sounds awesome.

Return to “Training and Behavior”