Tips for training my pup to do things on the 1st command

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Aaron
Newborn Bully

Tips for training my pup to do things on the 1st command

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 pm

I have my 3 month old Staffy mix, Daisy, and I've taught her some basics. Sit, Stay, Down (sometimes), Potty, and Walk.

She stands by the back door and lets out a little whimper if I don't immediately notice her when she wants to go out, so I really don't need to use the "Potty" command ever.

Mainly we just use the "Sit" and "Stay" commands, which she's very good at....when she wants to. Sometimes if we are out on a walk or if she's otherwise distracted she won't immediately listen to me. I may have to tell her to sit 4 or 5 times before she listens. Should I still praise her, even when she ignores me several times before doing it right? Is there a tip for getting her to do it right the first time, everytime, or is that just a product of practice and patience?

Thanks for any tips.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Tips for training my pup to do things on the 1st command

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Aaron wrote:I have my 3 month old Staffy mix, Daisy, and I've taught her some basics. Sit, Stay, Down (sometimes), Potty, and Walk.

She stands by the back door and lets out a little whimper if I don't immediately notice her when she wants to go out, so I really don't need to use the "Potty" command ever.

Mainly we just use the "Sit" and "Stay" commands, which she's very good at....when she wants to. Sometimes if we are out on a walk or if she's otherwise distracted she won't immediately listen to me. I may have to tell her to sit 4 or 5 times before she listens. Should I still praise her, even when she ignores me several times before doing it right? Is there a tip for getting her to do it right the first time, everytime, or is that just a product of practice and patience?

Thanks for any tips.

Three months is really young! She's just a baby and there is so much to see and do in the world for a pup. You have to make yourself more fun and interesting than all those wonderful distractions out there. Really stinky, yummy treats are a good start! You also have to repeat her training frequently in many different circumstances, with distractions, in all sorts of different places, before you can really expect her to "get it". So yes, it is definitely a product of practice and patience.

Only say the command once. "Sit sit sit sit sit" stops meaning anything after a while. Say it once and wait for her to comply. If she does what you ask, yes! praise her to the moon and back! Dogs do what works, so getting a reward increases the chances of her repeating the behavior again.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

PS - Daisy's ears are SO CUTE!

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

One problem is that you repeat yourself. The dog learns that they don't have to listen the first time you say it.

My pup is 9months and will pretend like he doesn't hear me when he knows I told him to do something, so I'll sit there and watch him until he does it. He will eventually do what I say, but if you repeat they won't listen to you until after the 5th time you've told them. Sounds like your pup knows that it doesn't have to listen to you on the first time. So, only repeat a command once. - This is always a huge pet peeve of mine when someone is asking my dog to do something, they will say sit sit sit sit, and i'm like just say it once & actually give him a chance to sit lol

& I think that you should praise once the dog does what you ask of them. I like to use clicker training because you can mark the behavior you want with the click, and then give them a reward for doing what you asked of them. If you're interested in clicker training you should go to youtube and type in kikopup, she has several videos from beginners to advanced.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Aaron wrote:I I may have to tell her to sit 4 or 5 times before she listens.

Well, there's your problem. You're teaching her the cue to "sit" is "sit, sit, SIT, SIT!" :) If you want the behavior to happen on the first cue, teach it that way! If she doesn't respond, give her a hand signal hint or lure her into the position. At her age its unrealistic to expect perfection, or to expect that she fully understands what you are asking of her. Dogs are extremely discriminatory animals, meaning "sit" in the kitchen does not translate to "sit" in the backyard or on the sidewalk unless you generalize the word. They're animals of context. Here's an article that may help you out with your training:

http://smartpawsseattle.com/id75.html

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm

We all posted the same thing within two minutes of each other. roflmao

I heart pbf. :inlove:

Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Great advice. Thanks!

I suspected that I shouldn't say it more than once, and now that everyone confirms it, it seems even more obvious. Duh.

I do realize she's just a pup and I don't expect too much from her. It's just that 90% of the time she sits on command with no problem and 10% of the time she pretends to ignore me, so was looking for tips.

Thanks again. I'll be checking out those vids and articles.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Have you tried beating you pup? JK DON"T DO THAT :oops: lol

it is hard not to keep repeating the cue word but YOU have to wrok on it. I have the same problem, I have to remind myself often.

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 am

Ya like others have said, use a high value treat to motivate the pup, and only say your cue once. Try training without using your cue word, then once you have the dog wanting to offer you the behavior introduce the cue as the pup does the desired behavior.

Just my thoughts.

Nate

Return to “Training and Behavior”