puppy fear questions

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
SamWhite
Newborn Bully

puppy fear questions

Postby SamWhite » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 am

My Amstaff x Rott/Mastiff pup that I got a while back is now 13 weeks old and is growing into a great dog so far. I've been taking her different places, like to visit family in Iowa and to local places that will allow animals. She likes all of the people she meets and the other pets in the family. These last few weeks it's been below zero here and windy, so I've just been letting her go potty in the back yard. Today it was up to 35, so we went walking in our neighborhood. Lately, I've noticed she jumps when the neighbors close their car doors. Today, we went in one direction and when she saw a neighbor with a pitbull puppy her age she tried to drag me back to our house. We went the other way and we ran into a neighbor's American Bulldog and my puppy wanted to drag me back to our house again. Is this mostly from staying inside and out of the cold and away from everyone, or is it something to worry about in the future?

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Re: puppy fear questions

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 am

Puppies go through fear stages. It's part of their development and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. What you can do is try your best to act like the "object" is not scary. Don't react, just act like everything is normal and try to get your pup's attention off of it and onto you. Treats would be good for this. Try teaching something like "Watch me". She will have to look at you for a treat. If she is too afraid, she will be over her threshold and won't be able to pay attention to you. So, it is important to start out with the trick in a place where she can pay attention to you without becoming fearful of a scary object.

After she has it down in a safe environment, then you can master it in your yard, then in the neighborhood.

Just remember that if anything really scary happens to her while she is in a fear stage, it will be something that's going to stick with her for life(not good).

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:09 am

This belongs in "Training and Behavior," so that's where I'm moving it.

I wish I had advice about your specific situation, but I just don't know enough about puppies to give a meaningful answer.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:40 pm

My pup did the same thing. I began socializing her and getting her used to lots of situations very early, and then one day -- I think around 10wks or so -- we were going on our normal walks and she was all-of-a-sudden scared of everything that moved or made noise. She typically walks great on a leash, but when we started walking back towards the house she would pull relentlessly to get back there as soon as possible and get back inside.

She's mostly grown past that little stage fairly quickly, and is getting back to being her normal not-scared-of-anything-want-to-play-with-everyone personality.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Puppies go through fear stages. It's part of their development and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. What you can do is try your best to act like the "object" is not scary. Don't react, just act like everything is normal and try to get your pup's attention off of it and onto you. Treats would be good for this. Try teaching something like "Watch me". She will have to look at you for a treat. If she is too afraid, she will be over her threshold and won't be able to pay attention to you. So, it is important to start out with the trick in a place where she can pay attention to you without becoming fearful of a scary object.

After she has it down in a safe environment, then you can master it in your yard, then in the neighborhood.

Just remember that if anything really scary happens to her while she is in a fear stage, it will be something that's going to stick with her for life(not good).

:goodpost:

Return to “Training and Behavior”