March Trick of the Month: Army crawl

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Aaron
Newborn Bully

Re: March Trick of the Month: Army crawl

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:55 am

The actual name for it is a low crawl, not Army crawl, as it's not limited to the Army. ;)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Aaron wrote:The actual name for it is a low crawl, not Army crawl, as it's not limited to the Army. ;)

I dont think it matters much :)

Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Just didn't want anyone's dog to be embarrassed if talking to someone in the military. :thumbsup:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Aaron wrote:Just didn't want anyone's dog to be embarrassed if talking to someone in the military. :thumbsup:

:P

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Haven't been able to videotape for the past couple of days, but I have decided to try free-shaping this with Doc rather than using targeting ... he's just too overstimulated by a target, what to do with it, wondering whether it has food in in, and rather than focusing on the fact that I want him to **do** something, he's just focusing on getting to the target and licking, biting, getting food by obsessing over it ... and that means he's not really thinking or even aware of what he's doing.

So today I just brought him out with the clicker and clicked for the head movements forward, and he very quickly caught on that he was being reinforced for low head to the ground pointed forward. By the end of it, he was getting excited and starting to move his feet forward a bit too, and that's where we ended ... it'll be interesting to see if we have more success this way. I see other folks have dogs with far more experience at this kind of thing than Doc, so I can't imagine he'll catch on as quickly as X-Dog or Sneaky, but we shall see!

Button's doing great with the targeting and is able to crawl a little ways to my hand without getting up. Will get vid when I get a chance. Button's my boy genius, I think he'll be doing this before Doc's even able to figure out what I really want! :)

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm

BabyReba wrote:Button's doing great with the targeting and is able to crawl a little ways to my hand without getting up. Will get vid when I get a chance. Button's my boy genius, I think he'll be doing this before Doc's even able to figure out what I really want! :)
See, this is my problem too lol Brina is a genius when it comes to learning new stuff, Jaka on the onther hand... Well, he's... Special. I've tried teaching him to crawl, but he doesn't even get it with luring lol I'll still try and see how it goes. Brina knows how to do it by now, i will start adding a cue, i have to make some new videos! :D

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Oh I posted today's attempt on the other trick of the month thread- but I'll put it here too or the mods can move the other one- anyway in less than 60 seconds Jack was crawling, he is awesome. You can teach an old dog new tricks :bowdown:
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169 ... 05_287.mp4

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:39 pm

So I've been attempting to get a decent video this week, however my only form of getting a video is an iphone, and my skills suck at getting the orientation right. Half my my videos ended up sideways or upside down, but I think I'm starting to get it! I downloaded a fun little video editor, so here's my attempt at a video on lure training the army crawl. The first pass thru is on full lure, the second the food is in my other hand, the third and fourth we're in the process of fading the lure into a visual cue. I realize the marker is a little tough to see, but the "clicker" is a quick thumbs up. For me, since I'm restricted solely to hand signals, luring into the down position isn't a big deal since I plan to make that into a part of the hand signal.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 pm

That's weird...your video has content that's "blocked in my country"...I can't see it.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:53 pm

same here ... says it has something to do with copyright issues.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

March Trick of the Month: Army crawl

Postby Stormi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Grrrrrrr.... So much for cute video editing. I'll have to see if there is a way to work this program so the videos are actually viewable. Lame!

guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 am

well first who dont remember me =p i dont have my pit yet, ll get just june after my wedding. well back to the topic i tried that with my westie and my sister i dunno look like a cat lol, its a lhasa i think, and some questions popped: why u all do it in a carpet? how the hell u make the dog move forward not getting up my dogs raises they asses and keep the head down to aim for the target or lure.
well tks and i hope i can participate without my pit yet =[. ll try to get a video later

tbluverjumper
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tbluverjumper » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:55 pm

LOVE this idea!!! I'm a bit late this month but I definitely am enjoying watching these videos. I'll definitely be joining in next month, gotta brush up on my marking/free shaping skills. I think my crew would like to get back into some kind of regular training! :headbang:

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:12 pm

You all have really got me ready for spring time fun!
I've been keeping up with the thread every few days or so and finally convinced myself to try. HA! I have no idea why I would have thought this would not have worked, especially with Capone! When we're home most evening he stretches out as long as he can get and pulls himself across the carpet. So, he's already doing most of it. I just need to reinforce it and give it a name.

I had him out on a walk today and had a bag full of kibble so I waited until he was over the excitement of being out on this beautiful day and then found a nice flat spot on the field ground of the park.
Asked him to lay down (good boy!) treat
Put my right hand out, he crawled to it with two little paws (good boy!) treat
right hand out, gave me a half step (good boy!) treat
right hand out, gave me a step (good boy!) treat
Then he started to stand up, I gave him a dismissing "Aehh" and he immediately put body down. (good boy!) treat
put my right hand out, he crawled to it with two little paws (good boy!) treat

at this point I stopped because he seemed to be getting too-oooo excited about the getting to the treats.
so we walked a little more, now normally I don't do new behaviors immediately in front of distraction, but why not
we went in front of the tennis courts on the flat smooth pavement
JACKPOT!! same behavior! yeah. but still getting up toward the 6 or so crawl & treat.

Then I moved through the park to the townhome commons nearby. I got him to do the same thing. cool!
Also, he loved it! He got that cute little trot he does when he's confident :))

so I can see it being a good activity for him BUT I see some problems
1 >>I keep the treats in my left hand and am giving it to him right after the good boy
**but should I say good boy? I noticed Red did it... but just asking
2 >>I noticed the wide eyed look of super excitement with the left hand loaded of treats
**but he needs a treat IMMEDIATELY especially when shaping new behavior because he is so impatient until he understands the routine. It usually takes him a few times.
3 >>when he stands up, is it ok, to do an "Aeh-eh"?
**the nice thing is he does go back to the position

I realize a video would be good, but I was by myself in a park just messing around, not meaning to 'train' :))

Also, after all of this I just was so-ooo happy!! Thank you for starting this thread. It has kickstarted me into spring and refreshing my desire to teach him new things. :thumbsup:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 am

Okay, take 2. I had music synced to the video, and I think that's why it was giving the copyright error. Hopefully this works!
You'll notice the biggest hang up we have is our house is entirely hardwood floors, so we're limited to using my little living room rug. I may try working this next time I take him up to the studio in an effort to get more distance on our crawl.

Return to “Training and Behavior”