He's destroyed 3 crates..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Diesel APBT
Newborn Bully

He's destroyed 3 crates..

Postby Diesel APBT » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:54 pm

how do i get him to stop destroying his crate? i bought him a new $100 crate 2 days ago because his other one was completely torn apart, i come home from work today to find he crewed a hole threw the side of it and crawled out hes been like this since i got him as a puppy and nothing i do makes him settle down in the crate.

when im here he will lay in his crate on his own, but when i leave he freaks out an even if i leave him with a stuffed kong and his toys he wont even touch them until i get home. im at my wits end here

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: He's destroyed 3 crates..

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 pm

What kind of crate are you keeping him in?

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Have you properly crate trained him?

Diesel APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby Diesel APBT » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:52 pm

i've used both the plastic covered ones and the metal ones, and there is no way to properly train him because he wont calm down no matter what

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm

I think what they were referring to was trying to work on little by little acclimating him to the crate. 5 minutes at a time, 10 minutes at a time leave the house, be in the house, etc.

Sometimes dogs take right to it, and sometimes not. It can be work. I'm sure there is a thread on it somewhere here. Have you searched the forum? Soemtimes it actually does work, sometimes it's fickle. :)

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

I think you're going to have to invest in one of the sturdier crates like these:

http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Ken ... /45512.uts

or these:

http://www.zingerwinger.com/xcart/home.php?cat=380

Because he already knows he can chew out, he's not going to stay in the crate unless he really can't chew out.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 am

Sarah wrote:I think you're going to have to invest in one of the sturdier crates like these:

or these:

Because he already knows he can chew out, he's not going to stay in the crate unless he really can't chew out.

That's what had to be done with Kane. Once he was in a crate he couldn't destroy, he stopped acting a fool. He has the first crate Sarah listed. Now, he can be in wire crates, vari kennels, etc.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 am

What kind of exercize does he get a day?

Did you read the seperation anxiety thread, maybe he has that?

& if you didn't properly crate train him or associate his crate with great things he's going to freak out everytime he's left in there for long pierods.

--I know how frusterating this can be considering I was having similar problems.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am

mommy2kane wrote:
Sarah wrote:I think you're going to have to invest in one of the sturdier crates like these:

or these:

That's what had to be done with Kane. Once he was in a crate he couldn't destroy, he stopped acting a fool. He has the first crate Sarah listed. Now, he can be in wire crates, vari kennels, etc.

It's definitely worth it, too. Liberty also has the Pet Select alcatraz crate, and before that chewed through two varikennels and broke out of a wire crate. The money I lost on those made up for the higher expense of the alcatraz, and then some.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 am

Amie wrote:
mommy2kane wrote:

or these:

It's definitely worth it, too. Liberty also has the Pet Select alcatraz crate, and before that chewed through two varikennels and broke out of a wire crate. The money I lost on those made up for the higher expense of the alcatraz, and then some.

x3 Saint has a ProSelect Empire Crate too.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 pm

I bought this crate in 2006. Harry Houdini still hasn't gotten out of it!

http://www.rayallen.com/product/1049/Kennels

I went with this one because I worried about him chewing on the bars on the others.

Diesel APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby Diesel APBT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am

I've been working on crate training for about 15 minutes twice a day and he does good but as soon as we leave none of that matters haha im looking into some of the crates you guys showed me

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 am

Having a super strong super expensive crate is not going to help Diesel settle and enjoy his crate. It will just make it harder for him to destroy the crate. He will still be freaking out on the inside. The stress of being confined does not disappear simply because the dog cannot destroy the crate, it just makes the human feel better about it because the symptom is no longer visible. The exception to this might be the dog who destroys the crate because he thinks it is fun and even in this case, the dog is just bored out of his mind and needing an outlet for his energy. A fort knox crate will not alleviate that stress or energy build-up. The only legit reason IMO to spend so much money on a crazy strong crate is if your dog can and does break out of crates to get at other dogs. This would be a safety issue and a behavior modification program would go hand in hand with the safety measure.

It sounds like you are having a lot of problems with Diesel. If you post your location someone will be able to recommend a professional positive trainer for you and it will be worth the investment.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:44 pm

lilangel wrote:Having a super strong super expensive crate is not going to help Diesel settle and enjoy his crate. It will just make it harder for him to destroy the crate. .

It will make it possible to teach him to stay in the crate. Now that he knows he can break out of the crate, he's got no reason to stay in one. Using a crate he can't break out of will enable the OP to work on teaching the dog to be mellow in the crate.

And you don't in fact know that the dog is breaking out of the crate because he's anxious or stressed. Could be he just wants to do stuff he can't do in the crate. My Tully stayed in a soft crate at events for years. I put her in a soft crate at a friend's house, and she tore her way out of it, probably before we left the driveway. I could still use a soft crate at shows or a hard crate at home, until she decided at an agility trial that I should be running her, not her daughter, and destroyed the crate with extreme prejudice. I don't trust her in a soft crate any more, because she knows too well that she can tear out of one. Meanwhile, her daughter Tess could probably be confined in a cardboard box, because she has no idea she could break out of a crate. She scratches at it and fusses when there's something fun going on that she wants to be a part of, but it's ineffectual because she really has no clue.

Once they figure out that the crate is penetrable, the only thing keeping a dog in would be it not being interested in anything outside the crate. And if you're expecting the dog to stay in the crate in your absence, that's a lot to bank on, IMO. Dog may be perfectly relaxed and happy in the crate, but if something happens outside they think they need to check into, the dog is coming out.

Diesel APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby Diesel APBT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm

exactly what you said sarah, he doesnt mind hanging out inside his crate, infact hes sleeping in it right now and i have no problems with him while im home, but when im gone i have no idea what makes him want out so badly. maybe some day ill set up a camera and see how he acts and maybe somehow try and solve it because right now i dont see what else i can do

Return to “Training and Behavior”