How to introduce two dogs

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

How to introduce two dogs

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 am

So I need to start preparing what to do when my father visits with his dog. He has an unaltered male very doofy and lazy lab. He's about 100 lbs + (very chunky) and not the least bit aggressive.

Then the dog we just adopted. He's pretty mellow as well, I haven't seen him around any other animals except the female dog that was at his house when we picked him up. He seems very calm and eager to meet everyone.
He's also unaltered.

My dad is coming around the 8th of April with his dog.

How would I introduce them?

Do you think it'll work out?

WHat should I look out for?
Etc

I have some people telling me that i'm nuts to introduce a pitbull to any other dog because they're naturally dog aggressive with all dogs and especially same sex, and add on that they're both not fixed... Then they told me to have break sticks ready and be careful because once they start fighting my pit will then turn human aggressive and attack me..

Any advice/suggestions because they have me scared now

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Re: How to introduce two dogs

Postby snikles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am

How old is your dog? If it is that puppy in your avatar, then I don't think you will need a break stick.

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 am

No, it's not her. He's a 10 month old male

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:13 pm

I need some info too because I am going to be meeting up with someone who too has a pit. Though both our dogs are a year old and have had not signs of DA yet. I want to be careful and make sure our dogs don't get hurt.

Would it be best to walk them apart for a bit and look for signs of aggression?

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Just make sure they are both leashed. Then I would put one in a crate, leave the other on the leash and let them get a little closer. Watch the body language of the dogs. I would not let them loose for days.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 pm

i wouldn't introduce them in the house, or the yard. i'd leash them both up and parallel walk them (you with your dog, and your dad with his). take things super slow and see how they go. gradually let them get closer while walking if all's going well, allow quick butt-sniffs etc. and only if they're getting along great would i bring them in the house together. even then, i'd keep them separated (crate, xpen, etc), or if they're both totally uninterested in each other then you could have them both in the house with leashes on.

and no, your dog won't suddenly turn human aggressive if he gets in a dog fight.

laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby laiinkyree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Putting a dog in a crate and having another one come up to it may not be the best way. Dog #1 is trapped with no where to go, that's scary.

Bring them to a neutral territory, such as a park or empty parking lot or something. Have them both on leashes. There are a couple different ways to do this. Nose to nose, or nose to butt. It depends on how nervous you are about the dogs, and how your dogs react to other dogs.

Nose to nose is just what it sounds - You let them walk up to each other and sniff noses/face. If the dogs are overly excited/over stimulated/leash reactive it may lead to a tiff or fight. If everything goes well, they will circle each other a bunch, you may get a growl here or there, and posturing. (Tail erect, hair puffed out or raised up, ears up, etc)

Nose to butt is also what it sounds like. What I've down with this one is to have the owner walking the dog slowly, and have the other dog come up and sniff butt for a second or two, and walk off. Nothing too long, nothing too exciting. Gradually working up to meeting them face to face.

Taking them for a walk together may not be a bad idea, depending on how they're reacting towards each other. If they're lunging at the leash and all that, it may be too much.

When you bring them inside together, make 150% sure that there are no toys. No toys, no treats, no food. No kongs. No nothing that they can fight over. Special beds and blankets need to be put away too. If your dog has a special chair? Block it off. If you can afford it, invest in some baby/pet gates for door ways. Trust me, they're awesome :)

And yes, that comment someone told you is crap. Break sticks are good for every bully owner to have, but your dog isn't going to suddenly turn HA. You may get bit trying to break up a dog fight, yes. But they're not going to suddenly turn and maul you.

Oje
Adolescent Bully

Postby Oje » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Carter met my parents dogs by me going to their house, opening the front door and letting him loose. He met my friends shih tzu the first time by having her placed next to him in the back seat of my car.

Probably not the best method for everyone and im sure someone here will give me crap for it but it works just fine for me.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:43 pm

I like the idea of meeting in a neutral area rather then in some place that could be one dogs territory. I think with a tight hold I might try the 'letting one sniff the other' method and see how it works. But they say that Pits can turn and attack with out body language warning. Is this true?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:But they say that Pits can turn and attack with out body language warning. Is this true?

who is 'they' and why are you listening to them? lol ;)
there is ALWAYS body language, no matter how subtle. no dog "just snaps" out of nowhere.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Oje wrote:Carter met my parents dogs by me going to their house, opening the front door and letting him loose. He met my friends shih tzu the first time by having her placed next to him in the back seat of my car.

Probably not the best method for everyone and im sure someone here will give me crap for it but it works just fine for me.

your dog is currently young and social. i hope for your sake that he stays that way when he matures.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:53 pm

"They" are some other people on another pit bull chat forum. Some of the stuff they where telling me made me rather scared of introducing snow to other dogs. So they don't just attack for no reason? There is always a sign? Other than a stiff tail and raised hairs, what else should I look for?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

here's a great thread on dog body language: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79428

and here's some advice for introducung dogs: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10229

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Same thing happens to me. I go on another forum and they start attacking saying i'm an idiot for even thinking I can introduce my dog to another dog let alone 2 unfixed males. They said to take photos of the fight for them.

*sigh*

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

what site?

Return to “Training and Behavior”