April Trick of the Month: "Do The Laundry"

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

April Trick of the Month: "Do The Laundry"

Postby Stormi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

I've not yet got a video to post as an example of this, but I figured I might as well get the thread started and hopefully I can add to it tonight. The goal of this behavior is to have the dog pick up and object, and move it to another location on cue. The same concept is used in teaching retrieves and games such as "pick up your toys" or "get my cell phone". Again, we'll be using free shaping, as this behavior isn't lureable. There are more aproximations and steps involved than with that of army crawl, so again, patience, repetition, and a high rate of reinforcement is key.

To begin this behavior, first we need to have the dog nose target the object that we will be asking them to pick up. The behaviors of picking up the object and moving it will come later. With Jack, I'll be starting with a wash cloth, because I've been slacking on my laundry duties and honestly could use a helper ;) I'm going to start by holding the wash cloth, and marking any glances or nose touches at the object. I know with Jack that if I begin by placing the wash cloth on the ground, he'll either sit on it or paw at it relentlessly, so I'd rather start off holding it where he will be successful, and then move it to the ground when he's reliably taking the cloth into his mouth from my hand. In the initial process, I want to make it easy for the dog to be successful, so I'm going to be relatively near them, and offer out the wash cloth fairly close to their nose. When they move towards it or look at it - click! reward. If its a dog that has done targetting in the past, they may begin automatically offering that nose touch. I want to mark several nose touches before I even attempt to increase my criteria. Once the dog is reliably targetting the wash cloth, and I can move the wash cloth a little (couple inches to the left, couple inches to the right) with the dog still targetting, only then will I begin rewarding the more forceful targets. In effect, you'll be doing what it called riding the extinction burst. Your criteria will raise from the dog simply touching the object with his/her nose, to targetting with gusto! From the dog's perspective, you've been rewarding every interaction with the wash cloth. When your criteria raises, you'll be looking for those "um, EXCUSE me?" targets, if that makes sense. You'll slowly be raising your criteria with your goal being the dog opening his/her mouth a little durring the target and touching teeth to the wash cloth. I think I'll leave it there for now until I'm able to get some video footage posted.

Its important to only raise your criteria when the dog is reliably performing the current desired behavior, otherwise the behavior is likely to fall apart. Also, be aware of any added distractions in the environment that you are working in and adjust your expectations accordingly. If my dog is reliably targetting the wash cloth, and my husband walks in and distracts the dog, that is not the time to try to raise my criteria, and I may even need to lower it a little to keep that high rate of reinforcement in place. Be sure to keep training sessions short and fun!

BabyReba

Re: April Trick of the Month: "Do The Laundry"

Postby BabyReba » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 pm

good one! i hope i can get button and doc to pick up my laundry!

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Woohooo a new trick :nana:

Ok, i started our first session with holding the towel in front of her and clicking nose targets, but in her second try she grabbed it with her mouth which is not unusual for her. We did something similar with a toy once so she started doing the same with the towel. So i clicked every time she grabbed it:

The next session started the same, clicking when she grabbed the towel.. But then i started letting her pull the towel out of my hands and dropping it on the floor. I clicked for that a couple of times and then moved on to clicking when she picks up the towel with her mouth off the floor. We finished with that.

Next step will be me throwing the towel a bit further so she has to go pick it up and bring it back to me. After that, i will slowly introduce a bucket and we'll see how fast she will figure out she has to drop the towel in. :thumbsup:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Brina is such a smart pup!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Very awesome work with Brina!!

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Nice work Enigma. :bowdown:

I will be watching this one. :thumbsup:

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Great job Brina!

Apollo already understands grabbing/pulling on fabric (from training to open doors/drawers etc) so he is a little ahead but I am in. Will get videos of his training tonight!

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh Lord. Seriously?....ok
This will be a fail...

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 pm

BabyReba wrote:good one! i hope i can get button and doc to pick up my laundry!

Hopefully Doc won't eat it lol

I'll give this one a try. A while back I tried to teach Khan to pick up my keys and he couldn't get it.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 am

Here is what we are staring with. Apollo already has some idea of the behavior (grabbing the cloth) but does not know how to pick it up off the floor.

When he was four months (he was so cute!!)-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46463586@N05/4270069985/

And opening the bread drawer tonight

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am

Good job!! I'll see if we can start working a bit this weekend....

Maybe I'll really challenge myself and see if I can get Fiona to do it, which would be a miracle. lol

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am

FBODGRL wrote:
BabyReba wrote:good one! i hope i can get button and doc to pick up my laundry!

Hopefully Doc won't eat it lol

Yeah.. I may skip this one... I don't need my evil dogs picking up my clothes and offering behaviors later... lol

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 pm

i may regret teaching this... but hey, why not!

i started off by putting the cloth on the couch...because i couldn't hold the cloth, the camera, and the treats all at the same time. (ignore the dirty blanket/mat on the floor, that's where the dog eats her dinner and she just had deer ribs all over it. lol)... oh, and i'm not wearing really ugly pants, that's just a really ugly fleece blanket on my lap. it's cold in here!

maggie's very used to being shaped to do things, so she quickly went from "touch the cloth" to "grab the cloth". although, at one point i was thinking about teaching her to fold laundry instead of putting it away ;)

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:07 pm

I am trying it! But I have to start with actual objects first since snow doesn't know how to touch an object with her nose. If I get time tomorrow I will show you some of our progress. It went from 'you want me to do what?' to actually some times picking up the object.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

April Trick of the Month:

Postby Stormi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:16 am

Posting this from my phone so hopefully this works. Here's a progression of Jack thus far - he's up to mouthing and grabbing the towel, but not quite taking it from me yet.

Return to “Training and Behavior”