April Trick of the Month: "Do The Laundry"

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Adrianne

Re: April Trick of the Month: "Do The Laundry"

Postby Adrianne » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 am

Fixed that for ya, should work now. :D

I think I may do a variation of the trick... like pick up your toys and put them away? I just really foresee horror if I let my dogs get rewarded for mouth on my clothes.. lol

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 am

Thanks! :)

Yes, you should join and do a variation if your not comfortable with the dogs picking up your clothing. Pick up your toys or find my keys are also great tricks that use the same training concepts.

Adrianne

Re: April Trick of the Month:

Postby Adrianne » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

Stormi wrote:Thanks! :)

Yes, you should join and do a variation if your not comfortable with the dogs picking up your clothing. Pick up your toys or find my keys are also great tricks that use the same training concepts.

Ohhh I like the idea of find my keys! Thank you! (if you knew me well this would be a savior... I lose my keys 3 times a day, every day!)

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 am

We started doing this tonight and I got them both to touch it with their nose, but they have absolutely no desire to mouth it at all. We waited and kept clicking each time they nosed it, and then waited while they were nosing it to see if they would grab it, but they both would touch and then look back at me, touch and then look back at me, and then do watch me, and then one of them started offering crawl (last months trick) lol. How do I progress forward with this to get them to start actually grabbing the sock?

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 am

This one will be difficult after all those years of saying "leave it" every time they picked up a sock or underwear but we're gonna try :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am

Here's Brina's progress... I'm throwing the towel and she has to go pick it up and bring it back to me. The position of my camera wasn't the best while this video was filming, but oh well... You can still see her goofy retrieves lol

Next step will be introducing the bucket and trying to get her to drop the towel in it when she brings it back to me. I know she will try to do 100 tricks with the bucket so actually getting her to focus and do it right won't be so easy lol

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Postby PitCurious » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Of course, we are not training New Dog yet... But when I saw this i had to try with BG (an American Shelter Dog). It had been a while since I'd tried an targeting work with her. Last time I tried I gave up from her youthful distractedness.
I'm so happy to report that inside of 10 minutes, she was reliably picking up my sons shirt and bringing it to me. It was a great start!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:57 pm

And we're (almost) done with this trick.. I need to come up with a cue and that's it. :D

It didn't take long for her to figure out she has to throw the towel into the bucket, a few good clicks and that was it (and a few good laughs when she tried to do stuff with the bucket, hehe). Now she loves doing it lol I'm so proud of her! :hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:29 pm

:thumbsup:

Great job! I love how she puts it in and looks over like...ummm treat please lol

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Brina is doing so great! Really, fantastic work with her!

ams036 wrote:We started doing this tonight and I got them both to touch it with their nose, but they have absolutely no desire to mouth it at all. We waited and kept clicking each time they nosed it, and then waited while they were nosing it to see if they would grab it, but they both would touch and then look back at me, touch and then look back at me, and then do watch me, and then one of them started offering crawl (last months trick) lol. How do I progress forward with this to get them to start actually grabbing the sock?

Take is slow. Do as you have been with marking and rewarding those nose touches. Once they're doing that reliably. Start rewarding those harder touches. If you notice the slightest bit of mouth opening, click and reward that. With my own dog if you watch the video closely, he doesn't go directly from touching the towel to grabing it. I selected those touches in which his mouth was just slightly open when he targetted the towel and built up the behavior from that (and I too was offered a crawl while shaping this ;) ).

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 am

We have that ah-ha moment at last!

We had a minor hang up when transferring the towel to the floor - Jack was trying to paw at it and pick it up with his mouth at the same time - but once he discovered that wasn't physically possible, he stopped offering the pawing and went straight for grabbing the towel with his mouth. Now it's just a matter of solidifying that behavior of tossing the towel in the basket, and then slowly moving the towel and basket further away from each other.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:07 am

wow, amazing! incredible videos!

this would be a great trick for Halo.

so far, she knows (without command) how to take out undergarments from my laundry and suitcase then scatters them all over the room. wah-wah! ;)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: April Trick of the Month:

Postby pblove » Mon May 02, 2011 8:35 pm

Stormi wrote:We have that ah-ha moment at last!

We had a minor hang up when transferring the towel to the floor - Jack was trying to paw at it and pick it up with his mouth at the same time - but once he discovered that wasn't physically possible, he stopped offering the pawing and went straight for grabbing the towel with his mouth. Now it's just a matter of solidifying that behavior of tossing the towel in the basket, and then slowly moving the towel and basket further away from each other.

I started cheering when he got it in the basket :tongue:

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Do we think we'll have a may trick? I never found the time for the april trick but would love to see this continued! :yipee:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri May 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Adrianne wrote:Do we think we'll have a may trick? I never found the time for the april trick but would love to see this continued! :yipee:

Yes.I am sorry, been busy with a situation, but will think of something this weekend.Unless Stormi has something in mind already and would like to make it trick for the month.
Any suggestion, preference, "I have always wanted to teach this but..." type of thing?

Return to “Training and Behavior”