Todays Dog Park Experience, Should I Be Scared?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Todays Dog Park Experience, Should I Be Scared?

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Now I already know what your going to say, dogs parks are a BAD idea. I read the thread "Dog park reality check"when I first joined and I understood it, and my opinion on taking Buddy to the park changed, and I didnt want to take him anymore.

But my boyfriend is very hard headed and wanted to take him(its technically his dog), I told him my opinion and he assured me that Buddy will be just fine like all the other times. Buddys last visit was 2 weeks ago and he did fine and had fun. I was especially worried about this time because Buddy has been mounting on all our small dogs, the small dogs dont care, so it was obvious once when a dog tries to submit Buddy, hes not going to be happy.

Once when we got there he was happy and excited and ready to play, but right when we got into the park, two very excited puppies about a month older than him BOTH jumped on him and he submitted, but they kept jumping and biting him. So he ran to Steve very upset. As they kept trying to get Buddy he turned into fearful agression. Once when that happened, any dog that tried to touch Buddy he got fearfully agressive and it kept progressing.

But, there was a boxer and a golden retriever who was very interested in Bubba, and these were adults so they didnt jump on him and etc. Buddy sniffed very nicely and was acting normal. The boxer then began running wanted to be chased, and Buddy would run, but get scared once when the boxer turned to chase him back. He wanted to play but was very scared and not sure. So his attitude was very different with dogs who were not trying to submit him. He was interested in playing, just very unsure. We left almost immediately after we realized he was very upset and stressed.

I was officially worried about him and ANY encounter with a dog, so we took him to a friends house with two dogs who Buddy has played with before many times, he was back to normal and was very happy and excited to see his friends.

I got my boyfriend to agree not to go to the dog park, but now im scared with any stranger dogs.
Am I going to be able to take him to Petsmart like we always do?

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Re: Todays Dog Park Experience, Should I Be Scared?

Postby merriterrier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Sounds like your guy just got overwhelmed by the other pups wild play, and then was feeling the stress and was unable to cope properly with the friendly adult dogs. Just take it easy and make sure all his interactions are positive.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Dog parks are a horrible place to socialize nervours puppies, because you can't guarantee that the other dogs there will be friendly, well-balanced dogs. (Obi would have pinned your nervous pup in a heartbeat...making his issue much worse).

It's a better idea to enroll your pup in a puppy-play group or puppy class and allow him to be socialized under supervised, organized conditions.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Dog parks are a horrible place to socialize nervours puppies, because you can't guarantee that the other dogs there will be friendly, well-balanced dogs. (Obi would have pinned your nervous pup in a heartbeat...making his issue much worse).

It's a better idea to enroll your pup in a puppy-play group or puppy class and allow him to be socialized under supervised, organized conditions.

I dont think we have those kind of things around here, :/ That would be great and I would in a heartbeat.
I was just wondering whether its a safe or good idea to take him to like Petsmart? or a dog store.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Dog parks are a horrible place to socialize nervours puppies, because you can't guarantee that the other dogs there will be friendly, well-balanced dogs. (Obi would have pinned your nervous pup in a heartbeat...making his issue much worse).

I dont think we have those kind of things around here, :/ That would be great and I would in a heartbeat.
I was just wondering whether its a safe or good idea to take him to like Petsmart? or a dog store.

No puppy classes? I'm sure there are. Where do you live? Someone here will be able to recommend a good puppy class.

Unfortunately, you're going to run in to the same mix of dogs at petsmart. Some will be good, others will all too eagerly bully a shy puppy.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Doesn't Petsmart have a training class? I am taking Lucy there mainly for the socialization the training part is only a bonus.Look into that.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 pm

gixxerific wrote:Doesn't Petsmart have a training class? I am taking Lucy there mainly for the socialization the training part is only a bonus.Look into that.

Oops, I was stuck on puppy play group instead of puppy training class. I was just thinking about that today to go and sign up for a puppy training class at petsmart. I think its a bit more than 100$ though. O_O Im defintily not a pro with training, ive learned everything from videos and the internet so I think this would be good for both him and me.

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Kahne131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I do bring one of my dogs to the dog park because he LOVES other dogs and i dont have many friends with dogs but i watch his every move and how all the other dogs are acting i also go a odd hours when only maybe three or four dogs are there and i watch the other dogs before i even go in to see how they are acting with each other. I have a pretty good idea of dog play since i managed a doggy daycare for over 2 years.

Not to come down hard on you because it really seems like you are trying but you said "So he ran to Steve very upset" you should have had your dog out of there before that. If dogs start to mount kahne and the owner of the dog doesnt do something in .2 seconds im over there pulling the dog off if the owner continues to not do anything and the dog continues to mount kahne we leave. It sounds like you REALLY overwhelmed your puppy at the dog park. I always make sure kahnes experience at the dog park ends in good note and in order to do that i leave even if i think there is the slightest chance something bad might happen.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 am

There's no reason you can't go to Petsmart, etc. Just don't have him meeting other dogs. They should all be on leash, and there is no reason for them to interact. As his owner, it's your responsibility to watch for other dogs and block them from harassing him. Which will also make your dog more comfortable and confident, knowing he doesn't have to defend himself.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 am

Sarah wrote:As his owner, it's your responsibility to watch for other dogs and block them from harassing him. Which will also make your dog more comfortable and confident, knowing he doesn't have to defend himself.

:goodpost:

If we observe interactions and play we can stop 99% of altercations before they start. When I take my dogs out to training or play groups or even just to the regular park (we don't have dog parks in BFE) I am extra on the ball about what my dog is doing and what other dogs are doing (on or off leash). If I see anything questionable I will step in and stop it before my dog (or another dog) has to deal with it. I don't mean you should be all paranoid; just alert, observant and ready to act should you need to. If you haven't already learn as much as you can on dog body language so you will have a better understanding of when things are about to go awry.

Return to “Training and Behavior”