Training Class At Petsmart?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Training Class At Petsmart?

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:59 pm

ams036 wrote:
Red wrote:
KittyNyanNyan wrote:II have not had one dog ever get injured. I had a class full of five very reactive dogs, and by the end of it, all were able to Loose Leash Walk in a line and sit.

The fact that someone think it is a good idea to have 5 "very reactive" dogs into the small training area Petsmart uses, on top of dogs all over the place, is exactly what my point is. That is in no way an acceptable environment for "very reactive" dogs.

:goodpost:

My dog would be an anxious mess if she were in that small area with 4 other dogs just like her. I would have to wonder just how reactive those dogs were that none of them got hurt, and with such little time (once a week for 6 weeks) they all stopped reacting. I would not feel comfortable with a trainer that asked me to bring my extremely reactive dog to PetSmart at all, let alone to a group class at all.

I have no problem referring someone to a behaviorist if I feel as though the dog needed it. It is always something I suggest if I feel as though the situation is too intense for me to handle. With this certain case, the dog's all did really well and every owner was very pleased with the result. If a PetSmart class is done correctly, we are rarely ever in the room, if at all. I start all dogs under threshold, and then slowly build up to where a dog can be near another without reacting or moving into an automatic sit and "watch me".

Keep in mind, my store is a VERY low volume store. We don't have dogs everywhere, and it gives me the ability to work on dogs without having too many strange dogs out and about. Although there are still some, I help the owner be able to work with their dog successfully. PetSmart classes are not for everyone, and not everyone may be comfortable with it, I'm just speaking from my experience. Unfortunately, many people are not willing to throw down the money it takes to go to a licensed professional but are willing to throw down the 109 for a basic obedience class. Maybe it's not ideal circumstances, but I'd rather do my best with the dog than have them to go Man's Best Friend or Sit Means Sit. I do my best with what I am able to do.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Nichole wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:-being unsure around stranger dogs.

-while on walks, he is a breeze until he sees a dog and he starts to pull.

-he does not like darker colored people, I know he is terrified of shadows inside or outside. For example: when we went to Petsmart, an indian man walked next to Buddy, he started to bark and pull towards him. I let Buddy sniff him and he became instantly friendly. But once when a large baldeaded white man came to say hi to Bubba, he didnt need a second thought about saying hi. The indian man even returned after that and Bubba barked at him AGAIN. Im pretty positive I have a prejudice dog.. :oops:

So you think these are problems are important to confront as of right now while hes a puppy?
Do you believe these could grow into a bigger problem?

Being scared of people or things that are out of the ordinary is very normal. In our classes they encourage you to invite friends over wearing funny hats and flashy, weird clothes, maybe squeaky shoes. Maybe a funny limp or gait. Your puppies reactions is very normal. For a while Violet was spooked of wheelchairs. So we just made sure she had positive associations with those things...sniff a wheelchair? COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE! Good girl! You're so brave! You're so smart! She looks and sniffs again? COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE! Such a good girl!! .... you get the idea. She associates things that are different as being ok. Not scary.

Pulling towards dogs is very normal. Typically it's because they're excited and want to go say hi. That's something that over time with patience and trainign (and maturity) you can get them to ignore the other dog unless you give them permission to say hello. This is something that you'll continually work on.

being unsure around stranger dogs is also normal. The structured play under the guide of a trainer would help with this - help him gain confidence in his social skills around other dogs.

Nothign you have stated makes me worry about any unusual behavior. I've experienced all of this and then some with my girls and I've seen it a lot in other dogs during the obedience class and puppy plays I've gone to. Getting some formal obedience is more about training YOU how to train your dog... if you have someone good to go to it will be an excellent investment.

Im not very worried either about the behavior also, but I should make sure that nothing progesses to be unhealthy behavior. There is actually a specific boy that comes over sometimes who he barks at because of his dark hair and glasses i think. Ill make sure when that boy comes over that he gives Bubba treats and and good attitude, because he becomes terrified of him when barks, despite his wagging tail and nice sniffs.

And maybe one day take Bubba to meet a stranger dog and see how he does. He will probably feel a lot beter with just one dog instead of a bunch all at one time all over him.

Also, since he is going to become very big one day, I should try and avoid being faced with Bubba running or lunging at a dog and I cant control him.. I feel like one day I might need to do serious lead training to avoid him getting loose from my grip.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I think it's very reasonable and responsible to want your dog to be obedient & have good manners with dogs and people. I hope you can find someone awesome :)

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Nichole wrote:I think it's very reasonable and responsible to want your dog to be obedient & have good manners with dogs and people. I hope you can find someone awesome :)

Thanks, & I hope so to !

Return to “Training and Behavior”