What kind of collar do you use for a dog that pulls?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: What kind of collar do you use for a dog that pulls?

Postby starrlamia » Mon May 16, 2011 11:01 pm

there are head collars and harnesses you can use but they dont fix the problem, if you want them to not pull i would be patient and work on leash training. If you are concerned with them slipping their collar with pulling get a martingale.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 am

I use a prong collar to teach a puller not to jerk me around or try to drag me off after something. I use treats and praise as a reward and encouragement when they're doing the right thing, but with some dogs you really need 'power steering' to stop them in their tracks instead of getting hurt. Then I start weening them down off of it by making it looser and looser until I'm not even using it anymore.

I also use a prong collar for those times when I know I'll be in an area with a heavy squirrel population, since none of my dogs can spend an hour + ignoring the tasty treats taunting them just a few feet away.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue May 17, 2011 8:32 am

I really like Emily's videos here: http://www.dogmantics.com/Dogmantics/Home.html

About half way down the page are her leash walking vids.

Good luck.

Agree a martingale is good if your dog might back out of or slip their regular collar.

anashenwrath
Newborn Bully

Postby anashenwrath » Tue May 17, 2011 8:41 am

When we tried a prong/choke collar, Scylla just hurt herself pulling. Neither of us were comfortable with them to start, and when we saw that she was willing to hurt herself just to pull, we stopped immediately.

I recommend a halti or gentle leader. A loop (we pad it with extra cloth to minimize rubbing) goes around the muzzle, and then snaps around the back of the neck. You attach the leash to a metal ring under the chin. The dog can still open his or her mouth 100%, so you can give treats on the walk for good behavior (like not pulling :thumbsup: ). You use the leash to guide the dog back to where you want him/her, but without putting pressure on the neck. It's also great for distractions, bcs you can use it to turn the dog's head.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:30 am

I didn't. I used a 'no pull' harness and thought snow how to walk beside me and then how to ignore most distractions. We are still working on distractions, as for smelling grass and where dogs have been she pretty much leaves it now. We went from that to a regular harness and when she proved to me she could walk beside me off and on lead, we went to collar. She never pulled on a collar while I was training her not to pull.

She isn't perfect though and still a pup. Some things do catch her nose form time to time and all I do is stop and regain her attention then continue to walk. No piece of equipment is going to make a dog stop pulling, you have to teach them.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue May 17, 2011 11:59 am

anashenwrath wrote:When we tried a prong/choke collar, Scylla just hurt herself pulling. Neither of us were comfortable with them to start, and when we saw that she was willing to hurt herself just to pull, we stopped immediately.

I recommend a halti or gentle leader. A loop (we pad it with extra cloth to minimize rubbing) goes around the muzzle, and then snaps around the back of the neck. You attach the leash to a metal ring under the chin. The dog can still open his or her mouth 100%, so you can give treats on the walk for good behavior (like not pulling :thumbsup: ). You use the leash to guide the dog back to where you want him/her, but without putting pressure on the neck. It's also great for distractions, bcs you can use it to turn the dog's head.

prongs wont hurt a dog if they are properly fitted, unfortunately most people dont use them properly! A halti can be a great thing but it doesnt teach the dog not to pull. IMO, it is better to train the dog then to circumvent training.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue May 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Prongs can hurt a dog even if properly fitted.

Then I start weening them down off of it by making it looser and looser until I'm not even using it anymore.

If you are talking about loosening the prong collar itself, that is a very, very bad idea. When on the prong collar should always be properly fitted and never lose.

I use a flat collar and leash if in an open area and off leash if I am in a fenced area.
Teaching the dog what is expected is far more important IMO than the type of collar you are using.

Do you walk your dogs at the same time?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 am

MissKitty wrote:Prongs can hurt a dog even if properly fitted.

Then I start weening them down off of it by making it looser and looser until I'm not even using it anymore.

If you are talking about loosening the prong collar itself, that is a very, very bad idea. When on the prong collar should always be properly fitted and never lose.

I use a flat collar and leash if in an open area and off leash if I am in a fenced area.
Teaching the dog what is expected is far more important IMO than the type of collar you are using.

I agree. I have used prongs in the past and did use one when I first got Khan. I tried both the medium and small (prong size) and used the rubber tips. It still caused problems.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed May 18, 2011 6:19 am

starrlamia wrote:prongs wont hurt a dog if they are properly fitted,

The whole point of a prong is to hurt the dog. I mean, you can call it discomfort if you want, but the whole point is that when the collar is tightened (in "proper" use it is supposed to be a very quick correction, it is not intended for consistent pressure such as pulling) the dog feels a sensation that they don't want to feel again. That has nothing to do with it being properly fitted, that has to do with that methodology of training.

As has been said, training will be far better than any special collar, unless you only want the dog to behave when wearing that special collar.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Wed May 18, 2011 8:49 am

Yes, I add links to the prong once the dogs know what I want from them. The leash is attached to a flat collar by then, since there's no point in using corrections when the dog is behaving beautifully.

Just in case you're asking me about multiple dogs, yes, sometimes I do walk two at a time, but never more than that. That's all I can physically handle. Often times it's Birdie or Shelby with the pup, since they're very well behaved in public in case I need to deal with the puppy and not pay strict attention to them for a minute.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 am

Using treats during training can cause problems. The dog can decide to work for treats, and ignore commands unless he sees them in your hand or on your hip. It's called weaning, it's very easy, and most 'treat' trainers will suggest weaning the dog off of treats eventually.

The only one I can think of that would cause this issue (only doing things when wearing the hardware) is shock collars. You can buy all the dummies you want, but unless the dog is wearing something 24/7 it's kind of hard to 'fake' it like adding links to a prong and having it eventually dangle uselessly on the neck so that you can remove it all together.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 am

doglove wrote:

Yes, I add links to the prong once the dogs know what I want from them. The leash is attached to a flat collar by then, since there's no point in using corrections when the dog is behaving beautifully.

Then why put the prong on at all? You wouldn't be able to switch over to it to give an appropriate correction in a timely manner. It sounds like they are just wearing it as a threat at that point. (I do use prongs at times, I'm not knocking them, just incorrect usage of them).

The only injuries I have ever seen from prongs are from ill-fitted ones being utilized poorly. Adding links defeats the purpose and then you'd have to really yank to make it work. Yanking = tracheal damage and possibly even disc damage.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 am

redgrrl wrote:The only injuries I have ever seen from prongs are from ill-fitted ones being utilized poorly. Adding links defeats the purpose and then you'd have to really yank to make it work. Yanking = tracheal damage and possibly even disc damage.

I've also seen puncture wounds with the combo of a loosely-fitted prong and a spooked dog hitting the end of the leash very quickly. There is a reason that they are supposed to be fitted tightly.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 am

Honestly, ime and from what I have been taught, every training tool can be useful and useless. In the end the essential detail is the training interaction of the handler and the dog, like what Miss Kitty said. Spending time training the behavior in a secure non-distracting area first and the slowly developing a tolerance for distractions will become the most reliable way to train a behavior. I have no problem with tools and corrections but it is entirely unfair to the dog and worthless to your training to slap a prong on them day 1 on a walk and expect them to "get it".

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 18, 2011 11:58 am

Amie wrote:
starrlamia wrote:prongs wont hurt a dog if they are properly fitted,

The whole point of a prong is to hurt the dog. I mean, you can call it discomfort if you want, but the whole point is that when the collar is tightened (in "proper" use it is supposed to be a very quick correction, it is not intended for consistent pressure such as pulling) the dog feels a sensation that they don't want to feel again. That has nothing to do with it being properly fitted, that has to do with that methodology of training.

As has been said, training will be far better than any special collar, unless you only want the dog to behave when wearing that special collar.

sorry i guess i wasnt clear, they wont injure the dog when properly fitted, yes they are meant to be uncomfortable.

doglove wrote:Using treats during training can cause problems. The dog can decide to work for treats, and ignore commands unless he sees them in your hand or on your hip. It's called weaning, it's very easy, and most 'treat' trainers will suggest weaning the dog off of treats eventually.

i find that an irresponsible post. If you are using treats properly a dog will not only listen when you have treats, it is really important to phase out the treats from the training and this will only cause problems if you are not doing it properly.

Return to “Training and Behavior”