Introducing new dog related questions..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
User avatar
Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Introducing new dog related questions..

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:46 pm

I was going to post this in the sticky thread, but I was concerned my question wouldn't get seen since the last post in it was dated sept 2010. anyway, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by making a new thread. I do have a slightly different situation anyways.. ok here it goes! :)

My boyfriend is deploying for Afghanistan very soon and I am getting a new roommate to take his spot at our apartment. My new roommate is a very good friend of mine and she has a dog she would be moving in with. Her dog is a lab mix named Lucky. She is very friendly and outgoing, but a bit timid and submissive. Margot on the other hand is friendly, yet very assertive, and dominant. Our dogs know each other pretty well already and Margot has stayed with them at their apartment before while I was out of town for a week with no issues. However, in the past my friend and Lucky have visited us at our apartment, Lucky's potential new home, and Margot got a bit aggressive with Lucky, causing her to cower under a table. Of course after the issue I separated Margot and put her on the other side of a gate, while we continued to hang out in the living room. Margot does get jealous easily. I don't even pet any other dogs that I'm around to avoid a confrontation. If I show any other dog attention or visa versa she always gets in between the other dog and me and sometimes growls or starts a fight. If I can introduce this new dog into our house I think it would be a great experience for Margot to learn to share and to resolve some of her "only child" tendencies. Although, I don't want to cause any unnecessary stress on either of the dogs.
I read the INTRODUCING A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG sticky, but I feel my situation is a little different.
Our dogs already know each other relatively well, although it has been a few months since they've seen each other. Should we still try to stick with the whole introducing them in a neutral area? I don't want Margot to get jealous, but if a situation does happen should I continue to separate them when my dog can see the other dog free on the other side? Any other suggestions?? thanks!!

User avatar
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: www.pacocollars.com
Contact:

Re: Introducing new dog related questions..

Postby pacopoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 am

I would keep both dogs separated for a couple weeks at least. Even though they have met before, your dog has bullied the new dog so you need to be very careful about setting up everyone to succeed. If one dog is out, keep the other dog up. Since they already know each other, make it so you only do fun things (like walks) together but once the dogs are inside separate them again.

If you can, put in tie downs so you can have both dogs in the same common room on their respective beds without having to worry about each other. the more they practice being calm and relaxed while around each other, the more smoothly it will go.

I've had roommate situations with dogs that my dog did not necessarily like but we kept the peace by keeping the dogs separated until it was all so old hat that the dogs didn't care anymore. One thing that we always did, and that you should consider, is a strict "no dogs in each other's room" policy. That means Lucky is not allowed in Margo's room and Margo is not allowed in Lucky's room. Having that "safe" space in a shared living environment will help the dogs mentally.

User avatar
jamielvsaustin
Moderator
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Palm Bay Florida

Re: Introducing new dog related questions..

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

What's your plan for the dogs while you and your roommate are away at work? Are either of the dogs crate trained?

User avatar
Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Introducing new dog related questions..

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

pacopoe wrote:I would keep both dogs separated for a couple weeks at least. Even though they have met before, your dog has bullied the new dog so you need to be very careful about setting up everyone to succeed. If one dog is out, keep the other dog up. Since they already know each other, make it so you only do fun things (like walks) together but once the dogs are inside separate them again.

If you can, put in tie downs so you can have both dogs in the same common room on their respective beds without having to worry about each other. the more they practice being calm and relaxed while around each other, the more smoothly it will go.

I've had roommate situations with dogs that my dog did not necessarily like but we kept the peace by keeping the dogs separated until it was all so old hat that the dogs didn't care anymore. One thing that we always did, and that you should consider, is a strict "no dogs in each other's room" policy. That means Lucky is not allowed in Margo's room and Margo is not allowed in Lucky's room. Having that "safe" space in a shared living environment will help the dogs mentally.

Thanks for the advice, that helps a lot! That all makes sense. We will definitely stick to those techniques .

jamielvsaustin wrote:What's your plan for the dogs while you and your roommate are away at work? Are either of the dogs crate trained?


Margot is crate trained and very good about it. All I ever have to do when I leave for work is ask her once to "go to bed" and she prances right to bed with out a fuss. Lucky is not crate trained. I could see having Margot in her kennel, in my room with the door closed, while we are away. Perhaps we could set up a gate in the hallway as well so Margot can't hear Lucky outside the room. What do you think?

User avatar
jamielvsaustin
Moderator
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Palm Bay Florida

Re: Introducing new dog related questions..

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am

Margot-A-Go-Go wrote:Margot is crate trained and very good about it. All I ever have to do when I leave for work is ask her once to "go to bed" and she prances right to bed with out a fuss. Lucky is not crate trained. I could see having Margot in her kennel, in my room with the door closed, while we are away. Perhaps we could set up a gate in the hallway as well so Margot can't hear Lucky outside the room. What do you think?

I think having Margot in the crate in your room with the door closed is good enough if you know that Lucky will behave. What does Lucky's owner currently do when she is away at work? Let Lucky have the house? Does Lucky cause any damage? You could ask that she keep Lucky in her room while she's gone...


Return to “Training and Behavior”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests