"Wrestling" with your dog?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: "Wrestling" with your dog?

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Having dealt with big adult dogs at the Humane Society who think it is ok to bite you on the arms and legs(sometimes very hard!) because they are "playing" with you, I do not agree with letting dogs play bite on people(or clothes). It really sucks when you have a Pit bull play biting on your leg because they were not taught that biting on humans is not acceptable.

I never wrested with Mya or any of my other dogs and they were/are taught that play biting is not acceptable. Thank god I taught Mya that because she got overexcited so easily that play biting on me or letting her wrestle with me could turned into something more serious.

Jay James
Newborn Bully

Postby Jay James » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:30 am

We do. She does the 'open mouth, no teeth, waving head around too'. We probably wrestle a lot more gently than other people but we both have fun. Molly will intiate it sometimes, if I walk past her and she wants to play she will roll on her back and do the 'open mouth, no teeth, waving head around" and maybe tap me with her paw, or do a play bow. I don't consider that undesirable behaviour. My partner & I are the only ones she will rough play with.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't have any problem with wrestling with your dog, if it's a game you both enjoy, and it doesn't get out of hand.

I also don't stop tug games if the dog accidentally gets me. Dogs do have accidents, and usually with tug, it's the human's fault for not presenting a clear bite surface. Oddly, despite my willingness to admit that my dogs aren't any more perfect than I am, and not penalize them for this fact; they still haven't tried to take over or deliberately bite me. Tess accidentally gets me maybe once a year, Pirate was a careless, mouthy pup, but is improving rapidly since I watched a video on playing tug that showed me how to present a clear bite surface, and implemented it. I have had to get pretty clear with him about grabbing at my clothes when he's excited, and that behavior isn't completely extinguished yet, but again, is improving.

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 am

Sarah wrote:I don't have any problem with wrestling with your dog, if it's a game you both enjoy, and it doesn't get out of hand.

I also don't stop tug games if the dog accidentally gets me. Dogs do have accidents, and usually with tug, it's the human's fault for not presenting a clear bite surfac penalize them for this fact; they still haven't tried to take over or deliberately bite me.

:goodpost:

I have only ever wrestled with Sunny, since Serenity has come I haven't done it as much really. I've probably done it a few times over the year, we ust to do it a lot more before her. When I start giving the dogs alone time, I will probably wrestle with him since he likes it and I find it fun.

I probably will never play it with Serenity because I don't %100 trust her with wrestling cause of a few reasons so I dought it. I don't think she'd enjoy the game anyway.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 am

Veronica really enjoys wrestling.

Allot of time we wrestle "over a toy"; but it's not a game of tug it's a wrestle with her teeth directed on the toy. Sometimes we wrestle w/o a toy and I don't mind gentle play bites...I bite her back. I bite her bum which really aggravates her...which cracks me up...so maybe we are a couple of bad apples. :oops:

I think the game is good for Veronica because I use it as a version of McDevitt's "on-off switch" game. V. is reactive and can get really hyped up, really fast and go over the top...so I catch her before she gets too wound up and calm her down...so our wrestling has allot of starts and stops.

I'm really the only one she wrestles with. She won't initiate a game; but if someone offers you can tell she's thrilled and she really enjoys wrestling...but by the same token I would only allow her to wrestle with another adult and that would have to be someone I know really well or my teen-aged nephew.

I kind of think you have to take it in context of the whole package. If you train your dog across the board in all areas and it is generally well mannered and understands that it is a game like any other with "rules" and "breaks" and a beginning and an end, started by the human and ended by the human...then it's not going to do any "damage".

Jay James
Newborn Bully

Postby Jay James » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Jazzy wrote:Veronica really enjoys wrestling.

Allot of time we wrestle "over a toy"; but it's not a game of tug it's a wrestle with her teeth directed on the toy. Sometimes we wrestle w/o a toy and I don't mind gentle play bites...I bite her back. I bite her bum which really aggravates her...which cracks me up...so maybe we are a couple of bad apples. :oops:

I think the game is good for Veronica because I use it as a version of McDevitt's "on-off switch" game. V. is reactive and can get really hyped up, really fast and go over the top...so I catch her before she gets too wound up and calm her down...so our wrestling has allot of starts and stops.

I'm really the only one she wrestles with. She won't initiate a game; but if someone offers you can tell she's thrilled and she really enjoys wrestling...but by the same token I would only allow her to wrestle with another adult and that would have to be someone I know really well or my teen-aged nephew.

I kind of think you have to take it in context of the whole package. If you train your dog across the board in all areas and it is generally well mannered and understands that it is a game like any other with "rules" and "breaks" and a beginning and an end, started by the human and ended by the human...then it's not going to do any "damage".

:clap
totally agree

Return to “Training and Behavior”