Dog Walking - Is it enough exercise?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Dog Walking - Is it enough exercise?

Postby Charlie282 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Everyone - Question on dog exercise. We've had Charlie for about 1.5 years now, he just turned 3 last month. We don't have a yard but He gets 2 two mile walks each day and we play catch for about an hour a day 4x a week. Usually that keeps him satisfied, he is probably medium energy. However, he has an extremely high prey drive. We keep him away from all other animals and he and I play catch in a secluded area at 6 am. The biggest issue is woodchucks. He has managed to catch and kill 3. I try my best each time to prevent danger to the woodchucks but unfortunately I haven't been able to break them up in time. Each time he catches one, he gets some scrapes and cuts, this time was pretty bad. My biggest concern is that he will eventually lose an eye/ear or whatever.

My question is, can I just walk him and is that enough exercise for all his muscles and joints? I am limited to places to take him off leash because he is as aggressive as they come. I love my buddy though and want to make sure he stays healthy and fit.

Also, a second question. He understands sit, lay, come, shake, etc, however after 1.5 years he does not know walk, outside, catch or any other command we give him multiple times a day. When you say walk or catch to a normal dog, usually a tail wags, he doesn't do anything. (He typically never wags his tail, we just call him Mr. Miserable)I feel he should know the relation by now especially since we train with treats and try to reaffirm all old learnings on a regular basis. Is this odd?

WeLoveOur7Dogs
Newborn Bully

Re: Dog Walking - Is it enough exercise?

Postby WeLoveOur7Dogs » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:16 pm

It sounds like leash walks are the safest way to excercise Charlie.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Can you play fetch or tug inside? Not sure what area you live in, but we get snow and cold here...we play inside for months.

You can also get the dog puzzle toys or do short training sessions and teach new tricks., It exercises the "mind" and tires them out as well.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

I have tried to play tug inside with him, however he is not interested in tug. I can get about 30 seconds out of him before he just goes and lays somewhere else. Hence the nickname Mr. Miserable.

In the winter we play a lot of fetch, it gets cold here too but the lack of animals actually makes it easier. This time of year is a pain. Thanks for the suggestions, again my major concern is that he won't get proper exercise by just leash walking.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Have you tried a flirt pole or spring pole?

You could use a flirt pole to help build control over the prey drive, if used correctly.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Charlie282 wrote:I have tried to play tug inside with him, however he is not interested in tug. I can get about 30 seconds out of him before he just goes and lays somewhere else. Hence the nickname Mr. Miserable.

In the winter we play a lot of fetch, it gets cold here too but the lack of animals actually makes it easier. This time of year is a pain. Thanks for the suggestions, again my major concern is that he won't get proper exercise by just leash walking.

I understand that which is why I suggested playing fetch INSIDE. My boy LOVES fetch. We play every day. He could care less about his springpole I built and he could care even less about the flirt pole lol

Some dogs require more exercise to maintain weight and to keep expend energy. Partly it depends on what type of condition you want/like your dog to be and genetically what his body is capable of being.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:35 pm

It depends on the dog and how much walking you can do every day. Mostly all i do with my dogs is walking, we go on 5-10 mile walks at least every other day, if not every day. I have one older female with joint problems so walking is the only form of exercise she can do and my male has to be leashed at all times, because he would run away if he'd get a chance, so walking is the safest thing i can do with him. He is a bit more high energy than my female so besides walking so i play fetch or flirt pole with him on a long line, you could try that too. Spring pole is a great form of exercise too, if you boy has a high prey drive you could try with cow hides or something like that, even dogs who don't like tugging, usually love those :thumbsup:

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:28 am

Walking is good for both you and your dog. Even walking a short distance and not miles and miles like others have said, will help. However, where I take snow on short walks; I make it up by playing with her. We wrestle, tug, and play with the spring pole. She even goes swimming from time to time in the lake.

But I may be different. I like a tired puppy LOL.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:41 am

MissKitty wrote:Have you tried a flirt pole or spring pole?

You could use a flirt pole to help build control over the prey drive, if used correctly.

:goodpost:

I would find an enclosed, rarely used field and bust out the flirt pole. That will not only give him extra exercise, it will give him an outlet for his prey drive. (when i lived in an apt it was hard to find a place to use a spring pole)

I think the amount/length of walks you are providing him with sounds ok for a dog of moderate energy. (probably more than most dogs get) I also think leash walking can be a good form of exercise.

You might also want to consider getting him treat dispensing or puzzle toys which will help with his mental stimulation (especially on those days when you are too busy to give him his normal walks).

jordanberry20
Newborn Bully

Postby jordanberry20 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 am

MissKitty wrote:Have you tried a flirt pole or spring pole?

I've heard of alot of dogs being injured on the spring poles, I was going to build one until I seen people saying they know of dogs being injured on them. I usually take my dog for a mile or 2 walk every day and then I let my son and my little cousins play with her out in the yard or inside the house all day. Or my cousin will bring his dog and they will be in my yard for hours chasing each other.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:33 am

Injured how?

jordanberry20
Newborn Bully

Postby jordanberry20 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:37 am

FBODGRL wrote:Injured how?

I believe it was on this site and people were saying they know of dogs that have been injured on the spring poles but didnt specify how, I always read the dogs back legs should be able to touch the ground at all times so maybe they lifted it to where they were just hanging and fell off wrong and got leg injuries?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:39 am

I have never known anyones whose dog was injured on a spring pole.

jordanberry20
Newborn Bully

Postby jordanberry20 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:45 am

i just remember reading it and im pretty sure it was on this site, but it didnt really say how the dog was injured. i still debated on doing the spring pole just havent gotten around to doing it so ive been doing the walks/let her run around the yard with the kids and a few other dogs.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Your dog can get injured walking or during any other form of exercise, sometimes injuries happen. I'm sure there have been dogs injured on a spring pole; however, properly monitored and maintained a spring pole is hardly dangerous. The spring pole provides a wonderful workout for dogs.

Return to “Training and Behavior”