Male dog won't hump in heat female?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
heafy
BANNED

Male dog won't hump in heat female?

Postby heafy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:10 pm

My male for some odd reason will not hump my female in heat.. Its actually not a bad thing since I do not plan on breeding her, at least not at this time.

When I let them out together, he does plenty of lickin' but no stickin'! lol

She is in her 9th or 10th day of her first heat. Shouldn't he be at least trying by this time, or is she not deep enough in the cycle yet?

I was thinking although it might be outlandish that my male might think she is too young since he's successfully locked up with two different females.. However, he has never produced pups!

The first time he mated, he locked up with the female 3 or 4x but I think it may of been too early in the cycle like 3-7 days in. The second time, he mounted several times but only got stuck once. Could him not being interested be linked to infertility?

In your opinion, would a dog not too worried about humping be a flaw?

I'm not too worried about it, just curious. Whenever I get the money I'll probably have the vet check him out and if he's not fertile probably just neuter my old boy!

Thank you in advance!

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Male dog won't hump in heat female?

Postby ewwies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Sorry, I can't help you on your question as to why he is not humping your female.. but instead of having him checked out by a vet why not just use the money to neuter him & spay the female now?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:18 pm

this board does not and will not support backyard breeding. so the kinds of responses you're going to get are probably that you ought to spay/neuter your dogs unless you have a damn good reason to be letting intact males and females in heat run loose together.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

ewwies wrote:Sorry, I can't help you on your question as to why he is not humping your female.. but instead of having him checked out by a vet why not just use the money to neuter him & spay the female now?

Because neutering and spaying dogs end up with no puppies to sell and this is a BYBer.24 years old breeding blue "ADBA" overdone and overweight dogs and with questions about why the male is not "sticking it". The usual, pretty much.

heafy
BANNED

Postby heafy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Every time I join a forum, I get harassed about backyard breeding and spaying/neutering my dogs.. And if you read my post, I'm not even trying to breed. And spaying/neutering is a matter of opinion and might not be right for every dog. And, in fact, I do have dogs that are spayed/neutered. And I really can't knock so-called "backyard breeding" since I have had several great dogs from my life that came from "backyard breeders". But what is crazy is that BYB is just a label one puts on things: it holds no value and is a matter of opinion. I, personally, hate labels - black/white, jew/muslim, democrat/republican.

I guess what I'm trying to get at people is this, I'm just a person looking to become more knowledgeable on things that concern my passion - training apbts. I am looking to better the breed. I just want to be in a community where every time I post I do not get bombarded with spay/neuter and BYB, since, in reality, you do not really even know me. When you do this, you push away people who actually care..

I just think that if your are going to post in a topic, you should post concerning the topic, not go off on tangents that do not really involve the thread.

Do I have a point or should I delete my membership here?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:48 pm

oh, why beat around the bush?

you should probably delete your membership.

unless you want to learn what the definition of a BYB is and WHY people don't support them here.

and just in case you do want to learn more, here's a very informative link with the Breeders Code of Ethics that was drawn up a while back and makes some good points: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49670

heafy
BANNED

Postby heafy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:53 pm

BabyReba wrote:oh, why beat around the bush?

you should probably delete your membership.

unless you want to learn what the definition of a BYB is and WHY people don't support them here.

So what your saying is that I'm a BYB because I have questions and because I'm wanting to become more knowledgeable? :)

Is that not why most people join this forum?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Well, see here's the problem with "not even trying to breed". You leave your intact female and intact male alone together. That IS "trying to breed".

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:56 pm

If you're not breeding your dogs, why do you care if they're humping?

That's so weird...

heafy
BANNED

Postby heafy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Chasesmom wrote:If you're not breeding your dogs, why do you care if they're humping?

That's so weird...

Because, should he not be humping? Even my neutered male is trying to hump. Would you not find that weird? I mean come on, something is up.. I care about my dog and was asking because I figured someone might have some answers.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:01 pm

If you aren't wanting to breed them, you shouldn't have them together. As to why he's not trying, she's probably not ready yet, bitches won't usually be receptive unless they are at the fertile point of their cycle, which can be any time within the period that they are in season, but only lasts a few days. And the way to avoid unwanted breedings is to keep them separate for her entire season.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 pm

heafy wrote:
Chasesmom wrote:If you're not breeding your dogs, why do you care if they're humping?

That's so weird...

Because, should he not be humping? Even my neutered male is trying to hump. Would you not find that weird? I mean come on, something is up.. I care about my dog and was asking because I figured someone might have some answers.

Maybe he bats for the other team.

I'm sure he's fine.

So, you do breed or you don't? Because you said you don't breed but everybody is saying that you do and then you're saying you're trying to better the breed....

very confused

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Sarah wrote:If you aren't wanting to breed them, you shouldn't have them together. As to why he's not trying, she's probably not ready yet, bitches won't usually be receptive unless they are at the fertile point of their cycle, which can be any time within the period that they are in season, but only lasts a few days. And the way to avoid unwanted breedings is to keep them separate for her entire season.

:goodpost:

heafy
BANNED

Postby heafy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Sarah wrote:If you aren't wanting to breed them, you shouldn't have them together. As to why he's not trying, she's probably not ready yet, bitches won't usually be receptive unless they are at the fertile point of their cycle, which can be any time within the period that they are in season, but only lasts a few days. And the way to avoid unwanted breedings is to keep them separate for her entire season.

Thanks Sarah! Probably not in the right time of her cycle yet i guess. And your right I do keep them separated but I let them out together while I play with them so theres no humping on dad's watch :)

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 pm

heafy wrote:

That's so weird...

If you gave a doo-doo about your dog, you'd keep him separate from her during her heat cycle and continue "not trying to breed them." An another note, it's probably a bad idea to ALLOW another dog to try and hump her female -- could turn ugly if she decides not to put up with it anymore. And chances are, she'll have to stand up for herself since you don't seem to be doing so for her.

And you're right -- spay/neuter is up to the owner. However, somelike like you, who claims not to be breeding, yet is "wanting" their intact male to stick their intact female, spay/neuter is probably the best option. Stop non-breed-worthy dogs from creating another litter of puppies that will end up God knows where. And before you rant and rave about how you have friends and family who would love a puppy, not everyone is able to commit to a dog for an entire lifetime.

(And if you keep them separated, then they wouldn't be out playing together. And if there's no humping during Dad's watch, then why are you WANTING him to hump her?!? Weird.)

Return to “Training and Behavior”