Alice's Dog Aggression

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Alice's Dog Aggression

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:37 am

As some of you may know, when I first took Alice home I discovered she is very dog aggressive. I took her for a walk during her first week home and she started lunging, barking ,growling, and intensely watching another dog who was ignoring her and over 50 feet away. Even bringing her out of sight didn't calm her down at first (gradually her threshold lowered, but it used to be quite large) She bared her teeth during reactive encounters sometimes as well. It's hard to explain how aggressive she was when we first started, I never did get it on video but that's not important, these videos are. :)

I've been working with her for a few months now and boy has she made a ton of progress! I've been using a Halti in some situations, it can be helpful in emergency situations. But after 10 minutes in training I took it off. We are training in a 15 foot by 15 foot room (estimate) with two other dogs. (although the second dog isn't visible.) But there are other dogs in each of these videos within 15 feet.
She did fabulous, the other two dogs started growling and barking at each other and it immediately set her off. I called her name and got her attention back in a split second, she even calmed immediately afterward, I wish I got it on video.

First video of the night, just doing a little bit of heeling with the other dog at a farther distance. (I know it looks like I tugged at one point, but the slight bit of pressure was all it took for her to immediately focus back up and I put my hand into that habitual position)[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSZIouyA5QQ [/youtube]
Her doing that cute little thing I talked about, when I do a "leave it" she looks away. I know it looks like she's looking at me, but she really isn't.[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI59oCNOxrU[/youtube]
We worked on "Go to mat", we've worked on it a few times before which is why we took bigger steps.

In this one the dog is actually very close, less than 10 feet. Even walks up to the camera person at one point. And there were little black smudges on the ground from the guy's shoes, she thought they were treats. :tongue:

"Watch me"

Oh and the weird dot on my thumb is where Dakota missed his toy and got me. :tongue: Not nail polish.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Alice's Dog Aggression

Postby Cherry » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 am

Awwwwwww what a good girl!!!!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:18 pm

nice job Celeste!!! You are doing such a excellent job!! :thumbsup:

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Nice work :thumbsup:

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Keep up the good work. shes lucky to have you!

Return to “Training and Behavior”