Roommate thinks I shouldn't be segregating my pit

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lulu22du
Newborn Bully

Roommate thinks I shouldn't be segregating my pit

Postby lulu22du » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello , my boyfriend and I own a blue nose 1 1/2 year old neutered pit named Duke. Duke had an incident about 2 months ago of him attacking our roommates red nose pit. It was a very traumatic incident for me because duke wouldn't let go and it was horrible witnessing Duke being punched and kicked by our roommate to get Duke off. Luckily this roommate decided to move out because of what happened, but now the new roommate has moved in and he owns a boxer that Duke does not like.

Duke has already tried to bite him and has growled at him multiple times. When my boyfriend and I are at work I leave Duke locked in our room to prevent any accidents that could happen. Well the roommate has been letting Duke out when we are not here to get Duke and his dog to bond. Yesterday he took duke and his dog on a walk together, which I totally feel comfortable with because Duke does fine with dogs outside of the house, but today my boyfriend came home to find Duke and the boxer out alone together in the house. When Duke is in that excited state of mind is when he is the most dangerous towards other dogs.

Well the boxer only had to bark once and Duke lunged at him ready to attack, but luckily my boyfriend grabbed him in time before anything happened.

I told the roommate I prefer Duke not to be let out and he told me that we are making Duke mean by leaving him in our room. He said Duke and his boxer are scared of him which he believes is a preventive to any potential fights. I really don't want Duke locked up all day, I hate it, but I also don't want to worry every time I come home if Duke is gonna attack the boxer.

What should I do about this situation? The roommate looks at us as dog abusers for not leaving Duke out when we are gone. I understand why he feels that way, it is a messed up situation. My boyfriend and I have been searching for months to find our own place, but it is nearly impossible when you own a dog, especially a Pit.

Help!

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Re: Roommate thinks I shouldn't be segregating my pit

Postby afrikaPB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Put a lock on your door and tell your roomate-nicely-to mind his own business.
Entering a room unwelcomed is already a huge roomate taboo, but entering to take your dog without permission?? C'mon.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 pm

x2 to what afrikapb said, I doubt your roommate would have any idea how to break up a fight if he's that clueless about pit bulls, ask him how he'd feel if he left the dogs together and came home to his dead or severely injured? Because that's a very real possibility with the risks he is taking. You need to keep your dog safe from idiots and the other dog safe from yours, that comes with owning the breed so whatever you have to do to keep him out of your room, padlock it, padlock the crate, I wouldn't be letting him take the two dogs on a walk together, if they get in a fight with each other or another dog he's going to be over his head fast. Don't feel bad for Duke, I'd say the vast majority on here, me included, never leave our dogs loose together if we are gone, it's not mean, it's responsible.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 pm

You keep having issues with roommates and at one point you have to put your feet down or screen who come to live with you a little better. I am not sure how it is possible to accept to live with someone who does not keep your dog safe and ignore your requests. There are crates that can be locked, and I am sure that there is a room in the home that you can also lock, with a key, and your roommate does not need to have that key. Don't let this continue til something happens.

Kaos Crew
Newborn Bully

Postby Kaos Crew » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 am

This is a serious situation and your roommate is not grasping it. You are doing the right thing by listening to your dog. Duke is being territorial and should always be monitored with other dogs. It may not be fair to keep him locked up but it was needs to be done, just make sure that you give him plenty of exercise to make up for. If the roommate insists that Duke and his dog be together for a small amount of time each day you should make sure that you take Duke for a long walk first so that he can unwind. And always make sure that all toys and food are put up first.

Good Luck finding a new place.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:40 am

Red wrote:You keep having issues with roommates and at one point you have to put your feet down or screen who come to live with you a little better. I am not sure how it is possible to accept to live with someone who does not keep your dog safe and ignore your requests. There are crates that can be locked, and I am sure that there is a room in the home that you can also lock, with a key, and your roommate does not need to have that key. Don't let this continue til something happens.

:goodpost:

This is a situation which calls for an immediate sit down to explain to your roommate the potential danger of his boxer being seriously injured.

Explain that terriers are genetically prone to dog aggression and until you've worked to try to overcome the issue, you need to manage your dog so that his boxer is safe. This includes keeping them separate before the aggression escalates.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:18 am

lulu22du wrote:I told the roommate I prefer Duke not to be let out and he told me that we are making Duke mean by leaving him in our room.

Why does your roommate think that keeping your dog (and his) safe is making him mean? It's very typical for PBs not to like other dogs-isn't he aware of their history? Yes, your dog may never have been a fighter but, first and foremost he is an animal, and second there is history there-in his genetics.

He said Duke and his boxer are scared of him which he believes is a preventive to any potential fights.

This statement makes me mad. I would never want my dog-or any other to be afraid of me. Why does he think these dogs are afraid of him? What is he doing to them when no one is around?

I really don't want Duke locked up all day, I hate it, but I also don't want to worry every time I come home if Duke is gonna attack the boxer.

What do you think your dog does all day while you're gone? I believe they mostly sleep and take a few peeks out the window. For one of my dogs, if he isn't in a confined area he gets stressed out, so for him it's more comfortable to be in a safe cozy place-it may be this way for Duke too. Fighting is stressful, if he knows that in this room he doesn't have to fight it's likely less stressful for him.

What should I do about this situation?

You should protect your dog from your roommate. He's going to get his dog killed/injuried or yours-either by the dogs fighting or some sort of euthanasia after a big nasty fight. Lock your door, tell your roommate to stay the hell out of your room, and if he doesn't like how your handle your dog he can move out.

The roommate looks at us as dog abusers for not leaving Duke out when we are gone. I understand why he feels that way, it is a messed up situation. My boyfriend and I have been searching for months to find our own place, but it is nearly impossible when you own a dog, especially a Pit.

I think not leaving Duke out is the farthest thing from being an abuser. You're protecting your dog. How is that abuse? I don't think it's a messed up situation at all-putting Duke up. The messed up part is your roommates inability to mind his own business.

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 am

lulu22du wrote: He said Duke and his boxer are scared of him which he believes is a preventive to any potential fights.
Help!

Why exactly is Duke and his boxer afraid of him? This alone would have me REQUIRING he be hands off my dog. I also wouldn't allow him to walk Duke and his boxer together unless you handed him the leash with Duke attached. Under no circumstances other than house fire should he allow your dog out of your room without you being present. Put an entrance door lock-set on your bedroom door. He can kick the door down in a fire to let the dog out. Vet bills are expensive, I'd make sure he knew who was paying all of them if a fight breaks out due to his negligence.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 am

Breaking up a dog fight:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79642

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 am

Invest in a breakstick, a padlock, and if necessary- an exterior lock for your bedroom.

Stupid roommates suck, but you MUST put your foot down NOW or you will end up with an injured dog... Or worse, a dead one.

lulu22du
Newborn Bully

Postby lulu22du » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 am

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your replies. I locked the door this morning before I left for work which I know is gonna offend the roommate, lets call him Carl.

The reason his dog is afraid of him is because Carl constantly screams at his boxer and hits him on his rear end. He acts like the dog is human. He punishes him sometimes over 10 minutes later when the dog has no idea what he did. He says when Duke and his Boxer are together and Duke starts getting aggressive he screams at them and probably hits Duke, although he never mentioned hitting him. He says they both run in different directions when he yells.

Carl is one of those alpha male types. All his friends do what he says and he thinks what he says is right. Carl is my boyfriends friend and the reason Carl lives there is not because of mine or my boyfriends decision, it is a girl that lives there named Jennifer. She is the sole owner of that house because her name is on the lease. She has the same believe system as him. She thinks you should scream and hit your dog when they are bad.

I heard last night Carl bragging about how Duke and his Boxer were getting along, which they were for a while but then my boyfriend comes home and it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. I asked Carl yesterday what he would do when Duke attacks his dog and he said he would scream at Duke and pick his boxer up.

Carl has no idea what it's like when a Pit attacks another. When Duke attacked the other pit that used to live there it was horrible. The dog was screaming in pain and duke would NOT let go no matter what, even punching and kicking didn't do anything.

Anyways...I do own a break stick which I hope I never use. Carl is probably gonna talk crap to me about locking Duke in. All he talks about with his friends constantly is dogs and the proper way of handling a dog. I really dont want to have problems with him. Last year he stopped liking me because I didn't wave to him when I was driving my car. He was walking into a store with his back to me and he expected me to scream out his name and wave. What the hell! So he gets easily offended. Any more tips would be great.

Thanks!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 am

Wow. You need to start protecting your dog better. I would tell you what I would do if I was in your position but I would never consider living somewhere where a roommate had anything to do with the care if my dogs.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:46 am

I'd be kicking this guy out, calling animal control or the SPCA on him for abusing his dog, and learn your lesson do a MUCH better job screening roommates next time around. Wasn't this the same case with your last roommate, too?

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

lulu22du wrote: Carl is my boyfriends friend and the reason Carl lives there is not because of mine or my boyfriends decision, it is a girl that lives there named Jennifer. She is the sole owner of that house because her name is on the lease.

lulu22du
Newborn Bully

Postby lulu22du » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 am

Yea I wish we didn't have to live there, but my boyfriend irresponsibly decided to get a pit before we even had our own private place. Now we are stuck because no one wants to rent to people with pits. My boyfriend has a good friend who's dad was renting out a place that supposedly allowed dogs, the dad owns a pit himself. We were sure we were gonna get it and then he said no because we own a dog. I think its because he may have heard about duke attacking the other pit in our house (we live in a small town). So that's how hard it is. Sucks so much I hate it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”