List of questions and advice needed.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Okay, first of I DID try to find some information on this with the search feature, but It was pulling up random posts and not good threads :)

I am having some problems I need help with and I would love the advice of my pbf family.

1) What can I do to teach Boss a proper heel? I can not for the life of me get this down

2) How can I teach him to stay until I give him the release command to fetch a toy, he will stay until the toy hits the ground, then its game over, If I hold him after the toy hits the ground he quickly loses interest.

3) What can I do to get a good solid recall? I swear sometimes its like he doesnt listen to me at all and I call for ages for him to come!

4) We are having a problem recently with him jumping up for a toy and nipping me by accident, I need to nip this in the bud.

5) How do I keep his attention and focus on me when there are other dogs around?

We ARE having much success with a normal sit, down, stay, wait, and away. I took him out tonight to do some recall work while my niece was at cheer practice, he does so much better when there are no other dogs around or people directly interacting with him. I just need some help, I want to get into some obedience classes locally but just have not had the extra cash or time.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm

I'd do a couple of things:

Invest in "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, "The Power of Positive Training" by Pat Miller, and "Don't Shoot The Dog" by Karen Pryor.

Add the YouTube channel of "kikopup" to your favorites and watch every video you can.

REWARD, reward, reward those behaviors that you desire. Behaviors that are reinforced happen more and more often. Those that are not die out. Every training point you mention is all a result of reinforcing the desired behavior. Reinforcement can be food (and high value bait, not milk bones), the opportunity to do something (move forward on a walk, go outside and play, ect), or a game such as tug. Management! Don't ask more than your dog is capable of and don't allow them access to be reinforced for the opposite of what you want (I.e. letting a dog with no installed recall run loose and then telling them "come". It will fail 100% of the time). Make training fun! Dogs don't have to know they're working, and neither do we :) There was something else I was gonna say that I'm forgetting, but that's the gist of it.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: List of questions and advice needed.

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Awesomely helpful!!!

What kind of treats should I use? He has food allergies but we arent sure exactly what he is reacting too, so far no reaction to lamb based food. I guess that is the thing I have not been offering a food reward in a while, just toy reward... So I just treat him when he heels and say "heel"?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 pm

I build Heel as a position first, before adding maintaining that position while in action. Good things happen when you are in that position. I don't even name it as anything right away, I just mark the position (clicker or verbal marker (Yes!) and treat. Then I add a step or two at a time. (but this is an actual Heel, most people are looking for loose leash walking or an approximation of Heel. You need to decide what Heel looks like to you)

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 am

Kingsgurl wrote:I build Heel as a position first, before adding maintaining that position while in action. Good things happen when you are in that position. I don't even name it as anything right away, I just mark the position (clicker or verbal marker (Yes!) and treat. Then I add a step or two at a time. (but this is an actual Heel, most people are looking for loose leash walking or an approximation of Heel. You need to decide what Heel looks like to you)

What she said.

There are two ways you can go about teaching "heel": luring and capturing. I by far prefer capturing the behavior as there is less mess to fade out of the way later. First, you need to decide what "heel" means to you. Before you can ask anything of your dog, you need to have a clear idea of what you want. Start off easy, and work your way towards successive approximations of that behavior. If I'm going for a perfectly tight heel, at first I'm going to be marking and rewarding anytime the dog is in the general vacinity and then slowly raise my criteria as the dog is getting the idea and maintaining that position more. Think of it as an imaginary box next to you. You're going to mark and reward anytime the dog steps into that box, and at first you're going to pour on the rewards and praise. As they get the behavior more solid, you'll begin to lessen those constant rewards. So, what does "heel" mean to you? Are you looking for a competition-style heel, or a casual walk style heel?

For food rewards I tend to prefer diced up meat, cheese, or veggies. I don't typically do prepackaged treats. That can mean chicken breast, BBQ pork, cheddar cheese, sliced carrots... Whatever the dog likes and will work for that won't cause an upset tummy later. You can also infuse kibble with the scent of stinky meats without actually giving the meat to them. Just an option. Have a variety of bait with you to keep it interesting and exciting. Low value stuff works fine for around the house generally, but when you take the training out into the real world, high value bait is important to combat with all the environmental distractions.

xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby xKayleighx » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 am

Boss*sMom wrote:Okay, first of I DID try to find some information on this with the search feature, but It was pulling up random posts and not good threads :)

I am having some problems I need help with and I would love the advice of my pbf family.

2) How can I teach him to stay until I give him the release command to fetch a toy, he will stay until the toy hits the ground, then its game over, If I hold him after the toy hits the ground he quickly loses interest.

I use a "wait" command with Bruce. I started off with putting a treat in front of him and having him in a lay position or sit position holding him in place for just a quick second and letting him go, saying "Yes!" or "Okay!" I would gradually increase the time period and every time he would try to get up I would use my negative indicator which is "Eh!" I think starting off with hardly any wait time and increasing it gradually is key. I also use a hand signal of my hand up and my palm out (like stop.)

To reinforce this behavior, I use this every day in the morning and evening for feed time. I tell him to lay (well, now he automatically goes into a lay position since it's become so routine) I say, "Wait" my hand up, put the food in his bowl, let him drool over his food for several second and then say, "okay."

That's what I can give you for that questions. :)

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm

xKayleighx has the right idea for teaching a dog the wait command when it comes to a high value item. It sounds like he lacks self control when something pushes him beyond his stimulation threshold. The only thing I see a problem with is the fact that you say he loses interest. I'd first teach a 'get it' command so he understands that you want him to pick up an item like a piece of hot dog. You want something that he desperately wants, and let him have it with an excited 'GET IT!' or whatever you might want to use. As he associates the word with forward action and enthusiasm (on his part) you can move toward objects and rewarding with treats. The key is to keep the enthusiasm for the food or toy, and THEN once he knows 'get it' he can move on to 'wait' and then an excited 'get it' to remind him of what he must do in order to get the reward. Eventually the toy will become the reward all by itself, as long as you phase out the treats.

I can stick a piece of raw meat in my dogs mouth, literally, and he won't take it until I tell him to 'get it'. I can also throw a ball and he won't budge a muscle until I tell him to 'get it'. It took several weeks to get to that point, but it's a lot of fun!

Return to “Training and Behavior”