Looking for opinions

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jamielvsaustin

Re: Looking for opinions

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm

APBT wrote:Amie it seems your a respected member of the forums although I don't see the need for flamming.

What part of Amie's post made you feel like she was flaming you? She never name called or described you in a derogatory way...did you just not like her post because you didn't agree with what she said?

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:37 pm

APBT wrote:2. The Cane will not share food and always takes controll of eating first or even taking the toy the pit grabed. even if I put two bowls down the cane will go back and forth between them, making the Pit take the one she decides not to use. (does not growel at me for any reson but wont share with dog or cats)

I have a cane corso pit bull mix who also does this with bones and food (not toys) which is why boens and food are never left around The more she pratices it the more she will do it and the more your pit will feel a need to defend its food toys ect keep them apart well eating only have toys out with one at a time it sounds like you should really start reading up on crate and rotate now IMO.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I have a boxer mix that wont share food.

My current bulldog foster mix wont share food.

My pitbull will gladly share food.

My parents beagle/american eskimo dog wont share food.

Breed isn't an issue here, this particular dog is.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Also, I know you're not supposed to have favourites but here's my take on that.

Buddy is my 11 year old pitbull-type dog. She is practically perfect in every single way and I couldn't ask for a better dog in my lifetime. She makes life easier for me, not harder. I adore her. (She is my favourite)

Obi is my 4 year old PITA, incorrigible wild-child. He has been a terrible house dog since day one when we adopted him. My life revolves around him. There are several issues we are unable to solve with him, we have to manage them.

But I love BOTH of these dogs with all my heart. They are individuals. Their personality is made from their genetics, breed, early socialization, parent influence, environmental and social influences, etc. They are who they are. And I accept their enormous differences.

While Obi is NOT a dog I would hand-pick to own again, he is mine and I give him JUST as much love, time, attention and dedication as I do to my angel dog.

APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby APBT » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Also, I know you're not supposed to have favourites but here's my take on that.

Buddy is my 11 year old pitbull-type dog. She is practically perfect in every single way and I couldn't ask for a better dog in my lifetime. She makes life easier for me, not harder. I adore her. (She is my favourite)

Obi is my 4 year old PITA, incorrigible wild-child. He has been a terrible house dog since day one when we adopted him. My life revolves around him. There are several issues we are unable to solve with him, we have to manage them.

But I love BOTH of these dogs with all my heart. They are individuals. Their personality is made from their genetics, breed, early socialization, parent influence, environmental and social influences, etc. They are who they are. And I accept their enormous differences.

While Obi is NOT a dog I would hand-pick to own again, he is mine and I give him JUST as much love, time, attention and dedication as I do to my angel dog.

Yes they tend to be two different dogs, im gonna just work em both in turns.. and the favorites thing well ive decided that both dogs are "ours" :)

Kahne131 wrote:
APBT wrote:2. The Cane will not share food and always takes controll of eating first or even taking the toy the pit grabed. even if I put two bowls down the cane will go back and forth between them, making the Pit take the one she decides not to use. (does not growel at me for any reson but wont share with dog or cats)

I have a cane corso pit bull mix who also does this with bones and food (not toys) which is why boens and food are never left around The more she pratices it the more she will do it and the more your pit will feel a need to defend its food toys ect keep them apart well eating only have toys out with one at a time it sounds like you should really start reading up on crate and rotate now IMO.

Yes been thinking about the crate training alot lately since they dont seem to wanna go in thier kennels (more and more each day). I'll be looking that up. The cane corso just really loves food.. and thats ok i'll just control it the best I can.. I didnt know I should seperate them at all times while eating.. Makes sence but was at the time more bothered by why she wouldnt.. (guess that doesnt matter)

I notice the cane corso has been barking alot lately when in kennel

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Make the crate a happy place, I put the dogs in there for feeding while they are being crate trained, and it's best if you can do it for short periods at first, especially since they are puppies, tired them out first and then put them in there with a frozen kong with their food or a little peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, look up kong recipes and you'll find a bunch of good options, or a chew toy they won't/can't eat so they have something to do and most will tucker out and fall asleep. Don't pay any attention to them good or bad if they are making noise in there and only let them out if they are being quiet, unless you think they need to potty and then I run would run them out on leash and back in, I almost always give my dogs a treat when they go in their kennels, even just a dog cookie or whatever so it's always a positive thing. They will all run upstairs and kennel themselves when I ask them to.

Puppies will drive you nuts, your "angel" pup might turn into a monster in a few months and the other will be the "good" one, you have two which is really more than twice the trouble because they really need one on one training to learn well and to be independent of each other, then you'll have to train all that stuff together too, just remember if you put the time and effort in NOW, it will really pay off in the long run, I have three dogs who all came to me as adults, all with bad habits, bad manners, etc that were a pain to train out since they'd been allowed up until now, don't allow anything as puppies you don't want them doing as adults. My oldest is the "good" dog around here, but she could care less about making us happy or being lovely, where the monster middle dog is the cuddliest, aim to please one we have, and the new dog is well new so lots of training to get her well behaved! They are all special in their own ways.

APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby APBT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:40 am

GoingPostal wrote:Make the crate a happy place, I put the dogs in there for feeding while they are being crate trained, and it's best if you can do it for short periods at first, especially since they are puppies, tired them out first and then put them in there with a frozen kong with their food or a little peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, look up kong recipes and you'll find a bunch of good options, or a chew toy they won't/can't eat so they have something to do and most will tucker out and fall asleep. Don't pay any attention to them good or bad if they are making noise in there and only let them out if they are being quiet, unless you think they need to potty and then I run would run them out on leash and back in, I almost always give my dogs a treat when they go in their kennels, even just a dog cookie or whatever so it's always a positive thing. They will all run upstairs and kennel themselves when I ask them to.

Puppies will drive you nuts, your "angel" pup might turn into a monster in a few months and the other will be the "good" one, you have two which is really more than twice the trouble because they really need one on one training to learn well and to be independent of each other, then you'll have to train all that stuff together too, just remember if you put the time and effort in NOW, it will really pay off in the long run, I have three dogs who all came to me as adults, all with bad habits, bad manners, etc that were a pain to train out since they'd been allowed up until now, don't allow anything as puppies you don't want them doing as adults. My oldest is the "good" dog around here, but she could care less about making us happy or being lovely, where the monster middle dog is the cuddliest, aim to please one we have, and the new dog is well new so lots of training to get her well behaved! They are all special in their own ways.

I heard about a "kong" somewhere else on the forums but I just realized what it was and that I knew it was must have prior to getting the pitbull but it totaly slipped my mind till you brought it up haha.. I know I picked one up at pet smart.. maybe the wife put it back to save money not knowing I needed it lol... hmm.. (That bill was pretty sick)

Yes I hope she doesnt drive me nuts.. The cute things i'm gonna start working on cause I know jumping on me, chasing the other pup, and smothering me wont be cute in a couple months when shes bigger! And I stated doing the one on one training.. One will be in the kennel and one out while I work on them and I work on the same commands in turns. I'm deffinetly gonna work on them alot NOW so maybe in a year or so i'll have some nicely trained animals. (or longer)

Wish I could handle 3 pups haha maybe when my two mature I can rescue another :) sounds like fun but work.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:25 am

In case you didn't know, Kongs are color coded for strength. The black ones are the toughest. Then the red, and then I believe blue (it's like a blue and white tie dye look) is for puppies and purple is for seniors. I would suggest starting with either red or black depending on how tenacious your dogs are at chewing. I would also recommend getting one size larger than you think you need. In our house, the bigger ones last a little longer. (and we have to buy the black ones)

There are all kinds of crappy chew toys out there (and you'll likely learn about those through experience) and then there are some pretty awesome ones out there. Goughnuts are a big hit around here, I've never had one, but always wanted one...maybe one day I'll buy one. :)) (side note: I just realized they're made in the USA-makes them even awesomer)
http://www.dogsgonuts.com/?gclid=CN60iZe6mqwCFQjc4AodR10nOw

APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby APBT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:In case you didn't know, Kongs are color coded for strength. The black ones are the toughest. Then the red, and then I believe blue (it's like a blue and white tie dye look) is for puppies and purple is for seniors. I would suggest starting with either red or black depending on how tenacious your dogs are at chewing. I would also recommend getting one size larger than you think you need. In our house, the bigger ones last a little longer. (and we have to buy the black ones)

There are all kinds of crappy chew toys out there (and you'll likely learn about those through experience) and then there are some pretty awesome ones out there. Goughnuts are a big hit around here, I've never had one, but always wanted one...maybe one day I'll buy one. :)) (side note: I just realized they're made in the USA-makes them even awesomer)
http://www.dogsgonuts.com/?gclid=CN60iZe6mqwCFQjc4AodR10nOw

Thanks for the heads up! I been working with them for about three days now training.. They know sit, leave it, shake (zara knows other paw), Lay down (zara is working on this now) Sadie has it down, Sadie can play fetch as long as I throw it the way shes looking.. then she brings it right back and drops it then I give her a treat. Sometimes she wont see it or dont bring it back and I go assist.

I give them a treat after each command and when they seem to have it down instead of giving them a treat I move onto the other command.. For instance I say (sit + shake = treat)(Sit+lay down = treat)(Sit+leave it = treat) Sit+lay down+ leave it = treat)

Any tips or does it seem i'm doing it right? Oh and also I been giving them a raw hide chip (3 inch circle shape) and I put it in the kennel and they follow it then I shut it. Seems to be working. Now when they get in the kennel on thier own can I take this way?

I'm sure its good anyways all the teething there doing at this momment..

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

One thing I would change is don't give them a treat every time, you want to make it random so they will do the command with or without you bribing them, use lots of praise as well, change up where the treats are coming from too so they can't see them in your hand or know they are always coming from one pocket or whatever. Personally I'm not a fan of rawhides, they can cause blockages because they don't digest fast enough and are just rather nasty but yeah you can take it away once they are in, you can get some real small training treats or chopped up hotdogs too instead, I just toss them in, say "kennel" and shut the door.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm afraid for you, and your dogs. It doesn't sound like you have much breed/dog experience and you are in possession of two very wonderful but powerful breeds/mixes. My first reaction to your first post was 'OMG this person is going to end up with dead dogs, or someone is going to get hurt!'

I think the advice in this thread is spot on, and you should follow it to a T. I also think that you should enroll both dogs, separately, in puppy/obedience classes ASAP. I stress separately because puppies that live together bond together, and I've got first hand experience on how hard it is to work with two young dogs at the same time (even if you have two different handlers for the dogs). The classes aren't so much for them, but for you, since it does seem you don't know much about dogs and owning them in general. Learning from a trainer and having other owners around to bounce questions off of and brain storm is a fantastic resource. Since you live in a fairly well populated area I'm sure there are obedience clubs in your area that you can become a member of. Building a relationship with experienced people is key to owning a powerful dog when you're first starting out.

I really encourage you to stick around and learn as much as possible. Reading the NILIF thread may help, along with the many threads on crate and rotate, so that you can see what other people are going through for yourself, and learn from their problems, mistakes, or triumphs. Not that your situation is doomed to it, but I've learned a LOT from reading those threads, and I grew up in a multi-dog household that practices it daily. There's always something to learn.

Good luck!

APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby APBT » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:49 am

GoingPostal wrote:One thing I would change is don't give them a treat every time, you want to make it random so they will do the command with or without you bribing them, use lots of praise as well, change up where the treats are coming from too so they can't see them in your hand or know they are always coming from one pocket or whatever. Personally I'm not a fan of rawhides, they can cause blockages because they don't digest fast enough and are just rather nasty but yeah you can take it away once they are in, you can get some real small training treats or chopped up hotdogs too instead, I just toss them in, say "kennel" and shut the door.

Thanks for the tips on treats and pocket switching.. Just today she was going for that pocket. What would you recommend instead of rawhides for teething?

randomroads wrote:I'm afraid for you, and your dogs. It doesn't sound like you have much breed/dog experience and you are in possession of two very wonderful but powerful breeds/mixes. My first reaction to your first post was 'OMG this person is going to end up with dead dogs, or someone is going to get hurt!'

I think the advice in this thread is spot on, and you should follow it to a T. I also think that you should enroll both dogs, separately, in puppy/obedience classes ASAP. I stress separately because puppies that live together bond together, and I've got first hand experience on how hard it is to work with two young dogs at the same time (even if you have two different handlers for the dogs). The classes aren't so much for them, but for you, since it does seem you don't know much about dogs and owning them in general. Learning from a trainer and having other owners around to bounce questions off of and brain storm is a fantastic resource. Since you live in a fairly well populated area I'm sure there are obedience clubs in your area that you can become a member of. Building a relationship with experienced people is key to owning a powerful dog when you're first starting out.

I really encourage you to stick around and learn as much as possible. Reading the NILIF thread may help, along with the many threads on crate and rotate, so that you can see what other people are going through for yourself, and learn from their problems, mistakes, or triumphs. Not that your situation is doomed to it, but I've learned a LOT from reading those threads, and I grew up in a multi-dog household that practices it daily. There's always something to learn.

Good luck!

I'm not looking for anyone whos gonna say "my dogs will end up dead" cause I KNOW they wouldn't. I'm here to master the skills found in pitbull owners / PBF users.

Thats all i'm here for! I would be the first to admit i'm nothing more than the average dog owner but getting smarter than them day by day! No one has all the answers but with a forum and helping people we can sure get close..

I know personaly that most dog owners don't have a clue on how to raise a dog.. You can't bash someone whos trying to learn.
Anything helpfull may be added.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 am

For chewy puppies, frozen kongs, bully sticks, goughnuts, nylabones, there are various raw bones that are safe for them to gnaw on my grocery store has ox tails, turkey necks, pig feet and other nasty goodies the dogs love, antlers, mix it up so they don't get bored, for when they are with you get a tug rope and play with them. Most people are just concerned because raising one pit bull puppy is more than your average owner can handle, a lot of them get dumped around the 1 year mark and you have two, with a high risk of them not getting along once they hit maturity. So it's a good thing you are doing your research and have somewhere to go for questions! Are the puppies spayed? Because I would get that done by 6-7 months if I were you, before they go into heat for sure.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:34 pm

APBT wrote:
I'm not looking for anyone whos gonna say "my dogs will end up dead" cause I KNOW they wouldn't. I'm here to master the skills found in pitbull owners / PBF users.

Thats all i'm here for! I would be the first to admit i'm nothing more than the average dog owner but getting smarter than them day by day! No one has all the answers but with a forum and helping people we can sure get close..

I know personaly that most dog owners don't have a clue on how to raise a dog.. You can't bash someone whos trying to learn.
Anything helpfull may be added.

*Every* reputable pit bull group recommends seperating the dogs when you are not there to monitor their interactions. They all recommend this for a reason - because it happens, and dogs are hurt or killed. No one here is bashing you, but you need to hear the reality of the situation and have the tools to manage your dogs safely so they can thrive and be safe and happy. This is important, or we wouldn't keep bringing it up.

Separate Dogs before Leaving the House

"This is one of the hardest things for new multi-pit owners to accept: Our dogs can be the best of friends BUT they may still find something, someday, that will cause an argument. When you're home, a small spat can often be stopped fast with a loud shout. But if you're not home, this same argument can escalate, drag on and cause injury. Avoid this terrible possibility by getting your dogs used to being separated during 'down time' in a crate or on a tie-down, first while you're home and then while you're away. You can rotate dogs so one is out while the other is contained. Or, let one dog sleep in your closed bedroom for the day while the other gets the sofa. Dogs are creatures of habit, so once you let them get used to this routine they’ll accept it as perfectly normal. Remember to exercise the dogs before you confine them so they can rest and enjoy a chew toy while you're away. By following this standard protocol employed by owners of many dog breeds including and especially the terrier breeds, you can leave the house knowing that you’ve done everything possible to ensure the well being of your pets." (http://www.badrap.org/multi-dog-homes-0)

"No matter how long you’ve lived with them and no matter how well you’ve socialized them, pit bulls should never be trusted not to fight with each other. Regardless of whether your dogs have ever shown aggression toward each other, if you have a multi-pit bull family, you must take action to prevent fights and maintain the safety of your dogs." (http://www.thinkingoutsidethecage.org/s ... le&id=5695)

"The information on this page is to assist owners in managing dogs who do not get along. Perhaps you acquired same-sex pit bulls and now that they have matured, they no longer tolerate each other. Maybe you have a multi-dog household, and two or more of your dogs have recently been fighting. Or you recently added a pit bull to your home, and it just isn't working out with the other dogs. Whatever the reason, we hope that you will be able to safely manage your pets and maintain them in your home. A pet is a lifetime commitment; re-homing should be a last resort." (http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html)

"Pit bulls can be addictive, but they aren’t the best candidates in a multi-dog household. As with many terriers and several other breeds of dogs, pit bull-type dogs are not always dog-friendly. They are people-dogs, not dog-dogs.

This isn’t to say that once you have one pit bull, you can’t have any more dogs. Many, many people do have multiple dogs, including two or more pit bulls! But you need to be aware that multi-dog households, especially a multi-dog household with one or more pit bulls, are an enormous amount of work and require an extraordinary amount of management. The amount of work required increases with each additional dog." (http://happypitbull.com/owners-manual/t ... ouseholds/)

See? It's not just us....

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Excellent post Star...I wish there was a way for me to mark it and save it as a favorite or something so it can be used over and over again for noobs.

Return to “Training and Behavior”