bit me in the face!!!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

bit me in the face!!!

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 pm

time and time again we keep correcting him "yelping" saying no and walking away doesnt do a darn thing with biting the face! we say no and ah-ah which works at times but then he'll do it randomly. he bit me tonight on the nose, his canine tooth got under my skin and ripped out. i am sick of this behavior, how do i stop it????

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: bit me in the face!!!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 pm

What are the circumstances around the bites? Are you playing with him, kissing him, what? How old is he? How much exercise and stimulation is he getting?

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:What are the circumstances around the bites? Are you playing with him, kissing him, what? How old is he? How much exercise and stimulation is he getting?

he is about 4 months. im home all day with him so i take him on walks regularly an to the dog park everyday and play with him inside. sometimes he tries to bite my face when we play and when HE thinks it's play time (when im on the couch and he comes over on my lap, after he is invited on the couch, when i go to kiss his head he tries to bite my face. i dont know what to do :crybaby:

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Stop trying to kiss his face so much? Maybe he doesn't like it? When he is on the couch with you and does this, kick him off the couch. Have you read the NILF thread in the Training section? It's a really good tool to use! I think there is also a mouthing/biting thread in the Training Section too, that you could benefit from. Let me see if I can find them for you...

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 pm

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Curly_07 wrote:Stop trying to kiss his face so much? Maybe he doesn't like it? When he is on the couch with you and does this, kick him off the couch. Have you read the NILF thread in the Training section? It's a really good tool to use! I think there is also a mouthing/biting thread in the Training Section too, that you could benefit from. Let me see if I can find them for you...

I don't kiss him a lot because of it. And yes when he acts up like that my husband and I both kick him off the couch, which is when he goes to his place(his crate).

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Umm. Well one, your asking for the behavior when your going in for a kiss. NILIF would be a good idea. Buddy did all the same things at his age, but then it all stopped when we started properly training him and using nilif. Now hes very well behaved with us.

Dog parks are a very bad idea and youll hear no end to it on this forum for very good reasons. Read this thread and please take into serious consideration to socialize your dog in a much more healthy environment.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274

And you shouldnt be pissed off and kick him off anything for doing puppy things that you are practically asking for him to do by putting your face right next to his. If your allowing him to be on the couch and then he does something wrong(something a puppy usually does) and then punish him by kicking him off the couch, how is he suppose to know what he did wrong? Or what he is suppose to be doing right?

When Buddy was a VERY mouthy pup and bite my face a lot. I never "corrected" him, I actually ignored the behavior. He bite me face, I ignored him, no attention whatsoever and faced the opposite direction from him and it was obvious play time was over. I never went to kiss him because I would be asking for a bite to the face. Mouthing was an issue, so when he bit my hands, I said no, and then replaced my hand with a toy, treat, or chew bone. His behavior stopped actually very quickly. When it becomes obvious they cant get attention(good or bad) out of biting or mouthing, they will stop most likely stop doing it.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Umm. Well one, your asking for the behavior when your going in for a kiss. NILIF would be a good idea. Buddy did all the same things at his age, but then it all stopped when we started properly training him and using nilif. Now hes very well behaved with us.

Dog parks are a very bad idea and youll hear no end to it on this forum for very good reasons. Read this thread and please take into serious consideration to socialize your dog in a much more healthy environment.

And you shouldnt be pissed off and kick him off anything for doing puppy things that you are practically asking for him to do by putting your face right next to his. If your allowing him to be on the couch and then he does something wrong(something a puppy usually does) and then punish him by kicking him off the couch, how is he suppose to know what he did wrong? Or what he is suppose to be doing right?

When Buddy was a VERY mouthy pup and bite my face a lot. I never "corrected" him, I actually ignored the behavior. He bite me face, I ignored him, no attention whatsoever and faced the opposite direction from him and it was obvious play time was over. I never went to kiss him because I would be asking for a bite to the face. Mouthing was an issue, so when he bit my hands, I said no, and then replaced my hand with a toy, treat, or chew bone. His behavior stopped actually very quickly. When it becomes obvious they cant get attention(good or bad) out of biting or mouthing, they will stop most likely stop doing it.

thanks for your input :) im learning a lot

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 pm

tigerstripe11 wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Umm. Well one, your asking for the behavior when your going in for a kiss. NILIF would be a good idea. Buddy did all the same things at his age, but then it all stopped when we started properly training him and using nilif. Now hes very well behaved with us.

thanks for your input :) im learning a lot

Thats good. I learned a lot too after becoming a first time pittie owner through this forum. :)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:51 am

ah, the joys of puppyhood roflmao The mouthy puppy thread is very good and NILIF is something one should practice. Good luck...... thank goodness they grow up soon. :)

PS- since you are new to this forum, you probably have no idea that people like dogsbite (yes, you, Colleen, you psycho) and others on their anti-pitbull crusade like to read this board. Titles like 'bit me in the face!!!!' often end up on their website as 'proof' not that puppies in general are mouthy and need to be taught bite inhibition and proper manners, but that our dogs are raging monsters. Just a heads up :)

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Since you mentioned your pup is beginning to loose his puppy teeth in another thread, this is an important read for you:

http://www.siriuspup.com/pop_biting.html

Kitty Kitty
Newborn Bully

Postby Kitty Kitty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

I`m glad you posted this. It helped me find the nilif thread and its so far a great read. it really describes my dogs pretty well. I must admit it was the shocking title that attracted me. However I learned something because of that also. :headbang:

Return to “Training and Behavior”