Stop standing on my foot!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Oje
Adolescent Bully

Stop standing on my foot!

Postby Oje » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Im trying to figure out why Carter constantly stands on my foot. I dont want to say does it all the time, but he certainly does it alot. For instance say im sitting on the couch and i call him over, when he runs over one of his front paws will end up on my foot. It happens way too much to just call it coincidence.

When i was younger i had a cat that if you put your hand on her paw she would pull it out and put it back on top of your hand and she would do it over and over but that i understood because she didnt want me covering her paw as it would be a defense mechanism for her. But with Carter i dont go anywhere near his foot, he just puts it right on top of mine and if i dont move it he'll leave it there as long as he's standing there.

Thoughts? Do any of your dogs do this? It doesnt really bother me, im not going to go nuts trying to make him stop but i am curious why he does it.

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Re: Stop standing on my foot!

Postby Apbt4life » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Probobly gives him a sense of security and love.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Ruby sits on anyone's available feet (including under the dining room table) - it's an affection thing, I'm sure!

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

He's claiming your personal space. You're allowing it to happen, so he thinks it's okay. If he did it to another person or another dog who doesn't want their personal space invaded with someone stepping on them and they told him so, he wouldn't do it. It's pretty simple.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:35 pm

randomroads wrote:He's claiming your personal space. You're allowing it to happen, so he thinks it's okay. If he did it to another person or another dog who doesn't want their personal space invaded with someone stepping on them and they told him so, he wouldn't do it. It's pretty simple.

I'm not so sure ----- I was convinced it was 'dominance' at first with my dog, but after long observation and discussion with others, I now believe it is just a 'getting close to my people' thing. After rereading OP's post - perhaps the dog just couldn't reach if you are sitting on the couch and stepping on a foot helps him get closer.

Oje
Adolescent Bully

Postby Oje » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:50 pm

The difference of opinion is exactly what i was going back and forth with. At first it thought it was a dominance thing but the rest of his body language doesnt really go along with that as he's usually excited that i called him over.

Its comical to me more than anything, i usually just move my foot

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

It would be better if you told him to move, instead of you moving. It is a rude behavior, weather he's looking for contact or not.

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxy Roxy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:32 am

Roxy has a big toe seeking rear end. She'll park her stinker on your big toe every time. lol

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:21 am

He's claiming your personal space. You're allowing it to happen, so he thinks it's okay. If he did it to another person or another dog who doesn't want their personal space invaded with someone stepping on them and they told him so, he wouldn't do it. It's pretty simple.

Dogs that are companionable and easygoing with one another do get in one another's spaces pretty often ... if one of the dogs isn't in the mood, then they'll tell the other one to quit it, but when everyone's relaxed and easygoing and just hanging out, a lot of dogs that like each other lay down on one another, stand touching, solicit attention ... I'd imagine that a young, easygoing dog standing on its owner's foot is just being casual and close and maybe a bit demanding. If you don't want it to happen, I'd just make sure not to reward the behavior with any kind of attention at all – negative or positive. I'd ignore it and remove my foot from under the dog's foot without any acknowledgment at all and if the dog is persistent, turn around and walk away. Every time. Eventually, if the behavior is never rewarded with anything at all (no verbal response, no looking, nothing), the dog will likely give it up.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 am

Dog behavior gets so much easier to interpret when you chuck out the whole "dominance" paradigm. Standing on your foot might be rude, but its not "dominant". Marlo likes to come over and put his big fat head on my laptop keyboard when I'm on the couch. He's not trying to "dominate" the computer, he just wants my attention, because he finds it reinforcing. Like Babyreba said, if I didn't want that behavior, I'd just be sure never to reinforce it (which I actually do by accident most of the time, by saying things like "Get your big fat stupid head off my computer!" lol ) Its possible your dog gets attention from putting his foot on yours, or maybe he just enjoys the contact of having his foot on yours.

PS You could always put the behaviour on cue, it might make a cute trick!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Tully was always big on standing on my feet, particularly when we did conformation stuff, which she never much liked. I think she finds it reassuring to be in physical contact with me. I never really minded, I thought it was kind of sweet. She mostly quit doing it as she got more mature and more confident. I never really encouraged or discouraged it, so the behavior just faded.

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:33 pm

I have a dog that stands on my foot sometimes out and about in the world. He is a nervous dog that is very environmentally sensitive and I have always thought that it is a way for him to keep track of me while taking in the world around him - sort of like I am the secure anchor and if he is physically touching me, he can still look around and not lose track of me. Most of the dogs I have seen that do it, are doing it out of some sort of insecurity or need for reassurance.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:16 pm

My dogs do reassurance contact with their side/shoulder.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Kitty does that for reassurance...that and leaning against my leg. When I put her in a situation she isn't comfortable in, she will either put one of her paws on my foot, or lean hard against me with her shoulder.

Zora sits on people's feet all the time. I think she's just being a rude puppy.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:23 am

In my training classes, I have a few dogs that like to sit on my feet. I find it more of a reassurance thing more then anything else, I don't see dominance in their body language at all. It happens more often when we're introducing something new or working out in the store during peak hours.

Return to “Training and Behavior”