Silky Terrier Aggressive Behavior

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
cinder06
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby cinder06 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:10 pm

My boyfriends grandma has a silky terrier, two years old, neutered. That will bark and go out of it's way to bark at my boyfriend...only when his grandma is around.

The dog will start barking when my kids or other kids are playing loudly or riding their tricycle and my boyfriend (their dad) runs after them playing, laughing, being loud......and has nipped at my kids and my boyfriend and myself when petting him near the grandma.

When the grandma is gone, my boyfriend plays with our kids, running, laughing, and being loud and the dog doesn't do anything, and follows me around.

When the dog does start barking and going after my boyfriend playing with our kids, it starts a huge fight. Because he'll ignore it and it'll still chase and bark, not in a friendly way, and the grandma will start yelling at my boyfriend and kids and he'll yell back at her about it, and it usually becomes a big deal.

If it were my dog it would have some serious training done, but it isn't. We've gone weeks without coming over because no one disciplines the dog.

Why does the dog do this only when the grandma is around??

If anyone knows any sites on this behavior please share, I'd like to show it to the grandma. The dog has nipped at the grandma, and his legal owner who is my boyfriends step dad. The dogs nipped everyone but only tends to show this aggressive behavior when the grandma is around, or it's other primary caretakes who are my boyfriends step dad and mom that live in the same home with the grandma.

jamielvsaustin

Re: Silky Terrier Aggressive Behavior

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Sounds like the dog is either resource guarding the grandma (it always toys or food that they guard). Or is a very insecure dog-not sure of what is excpected of him/her. Probablythe play makes the dog nervous and the dog is saying-hey I don't like that and don't come near me.

cinder06
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Silky Terrier Aggressive Behavior

Postby cinder06 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:40 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Sounds like the dog is either resource guarding the grandma (it always toys or food that they guard). Or is a very insecure dog-not sure of what is excpected of him/her. Probablythe play makes the dog nervous and the dog is saying-hey I don't like that and don't come near me.

I thought the same, but he is completely fine when grandma is not home, or other primary care takers. He will be in the other room, which is far because they live in an old victorian home..ceilings 11 foot high, etc. Just huge.

And he comes running into the other room to bark and chase/nip.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 am

cinder06 wrote:...and the grandma will start yelling at my boyfriend and kids and he'll yell back at her about it, and it usually becomes a big deal...

Why does the dog do this only when the grandma is around??

If this is the predictable routine, it's possible rather than it being resource guarding, the dog is instead reacting to grandma's behavior. If rough housing in the presence of grandma routinely predicts grandma having an emotional outburst, it's possible an association has been formed there and the dog is, in so many words, saying "please stop before grandma becomes erratic and angry again!" When grandma isn't around, that fear isn't there. It's difficult to say without more information, but that's just a possible theory to throw out there.

Return to “Training and Behavior”