found out something new about my baby.....good or bad idk.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

found out something new about my baby.....good or bad idk.

Postby tigerstripe11 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:48 am

I took Rico to the dog park, in my apartment complex, to play with a lab that we have met before on walks. Well, while they play, Rico practically always has his hackles up. What does this mean? Also I have learned that he stalks. The owner of the lab would throw the tennis ball, the lab would run after it while Rico would lie down and wait till the lab brought the ball back. At that time he would then proceed to play with the lab. Rico is about 5 to 5 1/2 months old now if that helps evaluate his behavior.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: found out something new about my baby.....good or bad id

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:29 pm

It means that taking him to the dog park is an accident waiting to happen.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:It means that taking him to the dog park is an accident waiting to happen.

This isn't his first time playing with the lab. But this is the first time he has ever shown this behavior. He plays perfectly with the other apbts in the apartment complex. Why is that?

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 pm

tigerstripe11 wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:It means that taking him to the dog park is an accident waiting to happen.

This isn't his first time playing with the lab. But this is the first time he has ever shown this behavior. He plays perfectly with the other apbts in the apartment complex. Why is that?

Do you get along with every single person you meet? Aren't there people you REALLY get along with and some that you just sort of get along with? What makes you think it's different for dogs? Some dogs are rude. Some dogs are intollerant. Some dogs are TOO much.

Have you read the thread about the dog park on this site? You might be interested in knowing most people here do not support the use of dog parks....I don't know what your's is like or how many dogs can be in it at once but it typically is a really bad idea to trust other dogs to behave around your's. Even if your dog is the best behaved dog, you don't know that about the other dogs.

The hackles raised simply means your dogs is excited/arroused. That doesn't mean he wants to have sex...or fight or anything else-without more information. It simply means he is REALLY stimulated. If you're not savy enough to read his body signals and the other dogs it can quickly turn into an unwanted fight.

I'm going to guess you're new to the bully breed based on your remarks. I'm glad you're asking questions and I encourage you to continue to do so. Now that you own a bully breed your dog ownership responsibilities have increased substantially. No other breed faces the kind of discrimination our breed does, and because of that we have to be "above par" owners.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:35 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
tigerstripe11 wrote:

Do you get along with every single person you meet? Aren't there people you REALLY get along with and some that you just sort of get along with? What makes you think it's different for dogs? Some dogs are rude. Some dogs are intollerant. Some dogs are TOO much.

Have you read the thread about the dog park on this site? You might be interested in knowing most people here do not support the use of dog parks....I don't know what your's is like or how many dogs can be in it at once but it typically is a really bad idea to trust other dogs to behave around your's. Even if your dog is the best behaved dog, you don't know that about the other dogs.

The hackles raised simply means your dogs is excited/arroused. That doesn't mean he wants to have sex...or fight or anything else-without more information. It simply means he is REALLY stimulated. If you're not savy enough to read his body signals and the other dogs it can quickly turn into an unwanted fight.

I'm going to guess you're new to the bully breed based on your remarks. I'm glad you're asking questions and I encourage you to continue to do so. Now that you own a bully breed your dog ownership responsibilities have increased substantially. No other breed faces the kind of discrimination our breed does, and because of that we have to be "above par" owners.

i completely understand the problem with dog parks. the reason i take rico there is because 3 walks a day around the lake just doesnt cut it for him and 99.9% of the time we are the only ones there. and the dog park is where i use the flirt pole. anytime after 4:30pm we do not go because thats when everyone is getting home from work and taking their dogs to the dog park. also while we are at the dog park i absolutly do not take my eyes off of him. i watch his body language constantly and that is why i noticed these new behaviors. thank you so much for answering my question because google sucks when it comes to behaviors of the apbt. they always say they are being aggressive when the hackles are up and blah blah blah....drives me crazy. I have actually bought a super long leash so now we can do the flirt pole out of the dog park :headbang:

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 am

I'm not an expert but I've seen Peanut's hackles go up when she first starts playing with another dog. She has different hackle responses and this one (for her) is sheer excitement/stimulation and they go down in a minute or so. But it took me a while to figure out her different hackles.

The thing is about dogs is that (from my experience) different breeds tend to have different play styles so that could be confusing your dog.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 am

Shoshana wrote:I'm not an expert but I've seen Peanut's hackles go up when she first starts playing with another dog. She has different hackle responses and this one (for her) is sheer excitement/stimulation and they go down in a minute or so. But it took me a while to figure out her different hackles.

The thing is about dogs is that (from my experience) different breeds tend to have different play styles so that could be confusing your dog.

Makes sense, thank you.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't see any problem with the dog park in the way that you are using it - either when it is empty or with known dogs and responsible owners. It's the unknown factor you want to avoid. The chaos of lots of strange dogs, over-excitement, owners not paying attention or just being ignorant of their dog's body language and behavior. It will take you some time to learn your own dog's tolerances and body language, too, so sticking with a more controlled environment is a safe bet. The hackles could just be excitement and over-stimulation. Maybe the other dog running after the ball triggered a bit of prey drive in your dog, or he just really was excited and wanted to play. Time will tell, just pay close attention and seperate the dogs if anything concerns you. It's a good time to work on a little obedience and recall, too, so you can be more confident your dog will listen to you if things ever do get heated during playtime.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 pm

star_frances wrote: It's a good time to work on a little obedience and recall, too, so you can be more confident your dog will listen to you if things ever do get heated during playtime.

I try to recall him but its like he just doesn't hear me, drives me crazy. Any ideas on what to do?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:22 pm

tigerstripe11 wrote:
star_frances wrote: It's a good time to work on a little obedience and recall, too, so you can be more confident your dog will listen to you if things ever do get heated during playtime.

I try to recall him but its like he just doesn't hear me, drives me crazy. Any ideas on what to do?

Yes, you have to get to him before he is over threshhold, at which point he literally cannot hear you at all. Lots of practice in calm environments then gradually building up the distractions will do the trick. =)

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 pm

star_frances wrote:
tigerstripe11 wrote:

Yes, you have to get to him before he is over threshhold, at which point he literally cannot hear you at all. Lots of practice in calm environments then gradually building up the distractions will do the trick. =)

Haha he gets over threshold when he sees geese lol. But thank you for the helpful advise. I'm going to start tomorrow :)

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:51 pm

My dog also often has his hackles up when playing with other dogs, mostly right in front of his tail and a little between his shoulder blades. He also does this when ANYTHING even vauguely exciting happens, when he gets a new toy, greets some one he hasn't seen in a bit, etc. I have never worried about it because it is accompanied by soft friendly body language. he is pushy in his friendliness with dogs (and... everyone, we're working on it :oops: ) so he is not always received well but less tolerant dogs.

I am adamantly anti dog park, but there recently opened a small dog run along a trail that we walk on on a long line. It's really just the size of a medium suburban back yard. i haven't gone in, but I have walked by twice when it was totally empty and thought about it. It has one gate and I could easily just put his leash back on if some one else wanted to enter. I still worry about sanitation/desease spreading, but honestly, there are just as many leashed dogs (and some not) walking along the same trail that I doubt it would make a difference. i live in a pretty urban area, so any nature we take the pup to has definately been visited by plenty of other dogs even if they aren't there at the moment. it would be nice to play fetch without a long line somewhere within walking distance of our house.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 pm

leila.quinn.82 wrote:My dog also often has his hackles up when playing with other dogs, mostly right in front of his tail and a little between his shoulder blades. He also does this when ANYTHING even vauguely exciting happens, when he gets a new toy, greets some one he hasn't seen in a bit, etc. I have never worried about it because it is accompanied by soft friendly body language. he is pushy in his friendliness with dogs (and... everyone, we're working on it :oops: ) so he is not always received well but less tolerant dogs.

I am adamantly anti dog park, but there recently opened a small dog run along a trail that we walk on on a long line. It's really just the size of a medium suburban back yard. i haven't gone in, but I have walked by twice when it was totally empty and thought about it. It has one gate and I could easily just put his leash back on if some one else wanted to enter. I still worry about sanitation/desease spreading, but honestly, there are just as many leashed dogs (and some not) walking along the same trail that I doubt it would make a difference. i live in a pretty urban area, so any nature we take the pup to has definately been visited by plenty of other dogs even if they aren't there at the moment. it would be nice to play fetch without a long line somewhere within walking distance of our house.

i would say go for it if its empty, just avoid it for at least 2 days after it rains. i know that if a dog park stays wet for too long, it starts growing bacteria and such.

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 pm

why not take him to a tennis court or some other park NOT designated for dogs? or a basketball court? Kids play ground while they are in school? anything fenced in and NOT designated for dogs. Socializing your pup does not mean you have to have your pup meet other dogs. IMO Dog parks are for lazy owners who just want to stand and not interact with their dogs. typically the excuse is exercise and they LIKE the other dogs. Not to mention they are full of diseases, not a good idea for the breed at all! your puppy may not show DA until he is 2 years old. Why set him up to fail? He is showing signs of discomfort with the hackles. Take his sign and make sure to be responsible. Think about it like this, your dog and the lab are playing and everything is great but some dog comes and attacks the lab, your dog tries to jump in and get the lab free but your dog is doing damage, YOU will be to blame, not the fact that your dog didn't start the fight. You are doing a disservice to the breed AND your dog taking him off leash to a place that other dogs go to. Keep him safe if you want him to stay alive and not damage the reputation responsible owners are trying so hard to dispel.

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

ames wrote:why not take him to a tennis court or some other park NOT designated for dogs? or a basketball court? Kids play ground while they are in school? anything fenced in and NOT designated for dogs. Socializing your pup does not mean you have to have your pup meet other dogs. IMO Dog parks are for lazy owners who just want to stand and not interact with their dogs. typically the excuse is exercise and they LIKE the other dogs. Not to mention they are full of diseases, not a good idea for the breed at all! your puppy may not show DA until he is 2 years old. Why set him up to fail? He is showing signs of discomfort with the hackles. Take his sign and make sure to be responsible. Think about it like this, your dog and the lab are playing and everything is great but some dog comes and attacks the lab, your dog tries to jump in and get the lab free but your dog is doing damage, YOU will be to blame, not the fact that your dog didn't start the fight. You are doing a disservice to the breed AND your dog taking him off leash to a place that other dogs go to. Keep him safe if you want him to stay alive and not damage the reputation responsible owners are trying so hard to dispel.

No offence but I really do not need a lecture about dog parks. I know about their cons. If you read above I said I don't take him during the "rush hour" of the dog park. I take him almost 99.9% of the time when no one is there. I run and play with him. I also said above that o got an extremely long leash so I don't have to take him to the dog park. There OS no fenced in kids park at my apartment and the tennis court is off limits to dogs. There's a huge fenced in field on post but bully breeds aren't even allowed on post. So with that said I'm doing the best I can right now with what I'm givin.

Return to “Training and Behavior”