Decode the body language and barking...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Decode the body language and barking...

Postby Heather9603 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Molly just came to us on Saturday, and though she's still really timid, she's coming out of her shell. Whenever she is out of her kennel and we are not paying full attention to her...this is all she does...non stop. Is this just her being a brat? I take her outside, assuming she might need to go, and she goes outside and doesn't potty. I throw some toys for her, and maybe she'll play a little, but not much. I cannot figure out what she wants!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBFUzos ... ature=plcp

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: Decode the body language and barking...

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:27 pm

She's probably just learned barking gets her attention and it seems to be working on you. She might just be bored, take her on a walk, play some flirtpole or fetch or tug and tire her out. If you don't want her barking to get you to do something you need to ignore it.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:54 pm

GoingPostal wrote:She's probably just learned barking gets her attention and it seems to be working on you. She might just be bored, take her on a walk, play some flirtpole or fetch or tug and tire her out. If you don't want her barking to get you to do something you need to ignore it.

Yeah I think she's bored and wants to play. But our yard is not fenced yet (hopefully soon, I have a first paycheck coming from a new job soon) and since we just brought her home I am trying the two week shut down thing, which said no walks. She's still super skiddish anyway and she isn't comfortable when she sees strangers.

Maybe I'll have to pick up a tug-a-jug or some other mind stimulating toy to occupy her!

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 am

Bump. Anyone have some suggestions as to how to keep her entertained during the two week shutdown?

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:11 pm

I typically am way more restrictive at home at first, with the dog learning to settle quietly (versus pacing, barking anxiously, barking demandingly, or generally being wild in the house) on a tie-down. Crates are also handy for unsupervised time and dog-dog management, but I especially love the tie-downs, either one will decrease her pacing/barking. Remember the more often we (or dogs) do a certain behavior, the more it becomes a habit, so if you eliminate the opportunity for the behavior for a length of time (for us it's 21 days, allegedly!) then it can't turn into a habit.

I like food-dispensing toys for meals, fed on tie-down or in the crate to maximize positive associations with these things.

Basically I would be working with her pretty much always, whenever she's not on the tie-down or in the crate, or interacting with her in some way.

Here is the hand-out I really prefer, from BR:

http://www.badrap.org/sites/default/files/new_dog.pdf

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Good point about the pacing becoming a habit. I don't mind her pacing some as she is just sniffing around and getting used to the surroundings. But its a problem when she just stares at your grumbling and then paces, grumbles, paces, grumbles. I feel like its just her being a bratty teenager, but I'm trying to ignore it and she just won't stop. So last night I put her in the kennel with a marrow bone and she was fine after that.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:05 pm

You can try teaching her Karen Pryor's Relaxation Protocol (you can find links online and videos) and also I really recommend the book "Chill Out Fido" which goes through lessons to teach your dog to relax. Some dogs need help being able to relax, no matter how much you run them into the ground they won't naturally do it. My shepherd is like this.

furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:21 pm

If there is a chance she has to go to the bathroom and she doesn't go when you take her out then put her back in her crate for 15-30 minutes before taking her outside again. She doesn't get to be loose in the house until she goes in the bathroom. So you may need to rinse and repeat.

To me though, it looks as though she is simply being demanding. Give her something to do (raw bones are great for this) and a place to do it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”