Fear or aggression?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pharesbd14
Newborn Bully

Fear or aggression?

Postby pharesbd14 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:31 am

So yesterday we had a friend of the family come over with his wife and daughter. They sat on the couch and Bentley walked over and let our friend pet him, but stuck his tail between his legs and started growling. I dont know what it was maybe because he had a beard and hat, but I have a beard. So I guess im looking for advice about introducing strangers to my pup he's only 6 mo old.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Re: Fear or aggression?

Postby Heather9603 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 am

With the tail ducked between the legs, that is fear.

How did your friend approach him? Did he go straight for the pet, or slowly stick out his hand to be sniffed?

pharesbd14
Newborn Bully

Postby pharesbd14 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:04 pm

He sat down on the couch stuck his hand out Bentley sniffed him he started to pet him and he started growling. I figured it was fear he has never done that with anyone else though. Maybe we will just take it slower next time or try having our friend give him a treat.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Did he pet him on top of the head? I was reading recently that sometimes dogs find a pet on top of the head as intimidating. Where as a scratch under the chin is pretty neutral.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 pm

If the guy was sitting, but still leaning/looming toward or over the back of your dog - that's still seen as a rude and intimidating gesture. It will cause discomfort and/or fear.

pharesbd14
Newborn Bully

Postby pharesbd14 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Interesting well now I know, I appreciate the input alot thank you!

pharesbd14
Newborn Bully

Postby pharesbd14 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Yes it was on top of the head

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Hats can really throw dogs off. My year old pup was just afraid of someone w/a big furry hood, though she relaxed a bunch when the person took off the hood. My pup doesn't get worried too often. My oldest dog was freaked out completely by a large man carrying a child on his shoulders.

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:45 pm

my dog doesn't like meeting new people when he has things behind him (like in an entrance way wall or a couch or a chair. He is fine if I am behind him, but if he doesn't have a quick escape route if he needs it, he is very stiff and not as approachable. In addition to what others said you might want to make sure he is free from obstacles when you introduce them.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Leslie H wrote:Hats can really throw dogs off. My year old pup was just afraid of someone w/a big furry hood, though she relaxed a bunch when the person took off the hood. My pup doesn't get worried too often. My oldest dog was freaked out completely by a large man carrying a child on his shoulders.

Same here, you'd be amazed by how subtle a thing can make a dog uneasy. They read bodies far more than we do.

And I always let the dog do the greeting, putting your hand out to sniff can make some dogs very uneasy. My dog used to be very fearful of strangers (still is uneasy but has improved a lot), whenever I introduced him to someone knew I'd just have them ignore him and act like he isn't ther.

pharesbd14
Newborn Bully

Postby pharesbd14 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 am

So last night we tried introducing someone again. It went great he growled at first but I had the person put out his hand and kind of ignore Bentley 10 minutes later he was snuggling on the couch with him. Now I know what we need to do with new people thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

Return to “Training and Behavior”