Think a dog knows who his owner dislikes?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
johnnyv412
Newborn Bully

Postby johnnyv412 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I've always wondered this. This is my dog Lucas, Image
Now he Gets along with everyone and every dog. I actually think he's so mild mannered that he wouldn't even stick up for himself if it came down to it. Just the other day my wife invited he friend and her boyfriend over for dinner and cocktails, now mind you, I never liked this guy. He always seemed cocky and arrogant to me plus I just dislike his personality. Anyways, we're all sitting in the living room playing cards and socially drinking when he gets up to go to the bathroom and decides on his way he wants to pet Lucas. Lucas looks at him and backs up and when he goes to pet him Lucas backs up and growls and slowly snaps his jaw at him. For the rest of the night Lucas just kept watching him from across the room. He did not trust him what so ever. This reminded me of a time where my parents neighbors kid knocked on my door drunk cause he needed a ride home. I told him to wait in my kitchen while I went to my room to grab my shoes. When I walked out said kid tried to walk into the living room and Lucas blocked him and growled at him. Now neither time did Lucas approach these two people. He just didn't want them anywhere near him. And out of the 5 years I've had him these ate the only people that I have ever seen him act like this to and both of the people I don't care for. Do u think he knows I don't like them or is it just a coincidence?

johnnyv412
Newborn Bully

Postby johnnyv412 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm

I just want to restate that this is COMPLETELY out of character for Lucas. He is a happy loving dog who I an take anywhere with me and gets along with everyone and every dog.

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Honestly, yes, I think some dogs do sense bad things about some people. I know my first dog Guage, he LOVED people but at times there was people he would avoid and keep me away from.

Now, Serenity, my current dog is fear aggressive towards humans BUT she did one thing she had never done and has never done again. At the pet shop, she saw a guy and started growling lightly, put her body in a defensive mode in front of me. I moved away with her but once we were in line, the guy was in line and she did the same thing.

Now, maybe this was her fear aggressive or it was her sensing something about the guy. It was odd since she hasn't done this before and hasn't done it again.

Sunny, my Lab x hasn't done that to anyone yet.

stha4
Newborn Bully

Re: Think a dog knows who his owner dislikes?

Postby stha4 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:07 pm

I was wondering the same exact thing about my girl, Hades. We currently have room mates(guy, his girlfriend, and her son). Well, they jumped into this relationship rather fast in my opinion and I guess J, the little boy doesnt have a father figure so the boyfriend is "stepping up". For the most part I agree with how J is treated, but occasionally the boyfriend will go into J's room mocking his crying and calling him a baby. It really bothers me and I've even considered saying something about it. Well it happened again this evening and Hades got really upset. She was shaking, her hair was raised, and she was barking LOUDLY at the door. It usually only takes seconds for me to correct her and get her by my side...not this time. She would come back and check on me then go back to the door. She gets along great with all of the room mates, but it seems she also doesnt agree with him tormenting J.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:06 pm

I know a guy who for all intensive purposes seems like a good guy, but none of my dogs like him (as a whole they like everyone), in fact none of my friends dogs like him either. Recently discovered that he has some icky problems with assaulting women. Maybe the dogs knew...

Azul
Newborn Bully

Postby Azul » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

Animals absolutely can sense when people are "bad" or perhaps devious is a better term. Dogs especially pick up on body language that we, as people, may overlook. Horses are really good at reading body language as well. Animals can also hear or feel vibrations that humans cannot. The emotions/feelings of other animals sometimes will cause these vibrations to be sent out and dogs can sense these.

How a dog reacts will depend on his past and how he was raised. it is kind of neat that your dog knows good from not so good. I have a neighbor that is a little on the shady side. Blue barks at him every time he sees him, but he doesn't normally bark at anyone else.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I think what most dogs perceive as suspicious is merely different. People who limp or have an erratic gait, excessive eye contact, funky hats, things that we scarcely notice.
To compound things, what many people think of as protective behavior is defensive behavior based in fear.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:28 am

I couldn't tell you - I have never been around anyone I didn't like with Peanut there.

On the other hand, I have walked her and every now and then she will see someone and hide behind me. I have no idea what it is - one time she did it to DH when he was too far away for her to recognize him (he was walking home from work and we met him on the way) then when he called her she lost her puppy mind and almost pulled me over trying to get to him....

Return to “Training and Behavior”