Fast eating issues

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Re: Fast eating issues

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 am

You have more than one dog? Have you tried feeding him where he can't see the other dog?

Peanut normally eats at a pretty fast clip but she does chew. She's an only.

If I feed her with other dogs around (I dogsit for my friends dogs) she will eat, barf, eat, barf, eat. Not even chew.

So now I feed her in the half bath (only room on the first floor of their house with a door) and use a really small bowl - it's actually a container that used to hold cream cheese. Or I let her eat out of a quart zip lock bag. Either way I'm holding the container, she can't see the other dogs and she seems fine.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 am

Four cups of food (per dog) a day sounds like quite a bit and could be a contributor to the hurling. Our Trooper is a fast eater but lately it seems like he's inhaling his food. There have been a few instances where someone will come to the front door while he's eat. He doesn't take the time to swallow what he has in his mouth and tries to bark at the same time and then starts choking/coughing. We've talked about getting one of those break-fast bowls...but if you're not having a good experience with it maybe we should try something else. We already add water to the food and let it get soggy befor serving it...and still he inhales it. We've found with the WTE toys he's much slower and really seems to like them (I think for him the kong wobbler is his favorite). We also have these food puzzles for him that he likes...but if he uses them we have to be right there to watch...if he gets frustrated and can't move a piece with his paw his next option is to chew the puzzle piece off. We have a kibble nibbler, but can't use it with him because he knows how to unscrew it!

Anyhow, enough about my dogs...I just wanted to share and let you know you're not the only one dealing with something like this. I like the idea of feeding him in a separate place from the other animals, using work to eat toys and/or hand feeding him.

What brand of food are you feeding?

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 am

I have had fast eater fosters and one of the things I have done that worked well was to put some of the meal inside a kong or even two kongs and then put them inside a big food bowl. They have to sort of work around the kongs and move them around to eat and then pick them up to get the rest of the food out.

Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Well I feed garret 4 cups a day but penny gets 3 a day. He may of been sick cause he hasn't thrown up lately. I have been giving him one cup then another a hr later. He isn't really bothered by our other dog. We fed them in separate rooms for a while and it doesn't matter. As soon as he's done he runs straight to us to hang out. As for what we feed them it's some natural farmers kibble or something like that. I do have a big kong and may try filling that up then putting it in his bowl.

Azul
Newborn Bully

Postby Azul » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 pm

mtlu wrote:What kind of food and how much are you feeding him? Feeding too much can also cause him to throw up.

Regarding feeding, small meals are best. Eating too much can cause vomiting, and it can also cause more serious problems as well. There is a condition called GDV where the stomach full of food actually flips over in the dog's abdomen. It twists at the esohpagus and intestines so nothing can go in or out. The acids in the stomach start to produce "foam" and the dogs stomach will extend and is very painful. If it fatal if not treated immediately. It is not that common in APBT (more common in larger breeds like labs and great danes), but it is still something to consider. Feed smaller meals and don't let your dogs play hard right after eating.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 pm

I like the work to eat puzzles and toys better that regular use of frozen or stuffed kongs - IMHO that's a lot of friction for their tongues to lick those every day. I'll do a kong a week or maybe twice if it's hot in the summer. My tongue becomes sore and like sandpaper if I eat a popsicle, so that's what I imagine for the dog.

Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm

My pup is a fast eater as well and she coughs and sputters and chokes...all while still bringin more food into her mouth. We tried supervising her and asking her to back away from the food (when she does she actually chews the food rather than just sucking it down) She gets her meals (2) watered and soaked for 10 mins. Recently though i have put her one bowl inside of a bigger one and her food sits in the one inch (about) gap betweenthe bowls. This slowed her down considerably. Her training treats are already a portion of her daily feed. I like using kibble as reward because I feel as though i can feed it more liberally than a fatty treat. and it allows for ALOT of rewards with whatever we come in contact with that day. Each day is just another training session to deal with new challenges and distractions.

Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Well he's still throwing up and I'm thinking it may be something else. We are taking him to the doc tomorrow.

Return to “Training and Behavior”