Fast eating issues

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

So my little brat Garret
Eats his food very fast. We tried one of those divider bowls but that didn't help. The wife like to just dump his food on the floor and spread it out. I don't cause he will kick some pieces under the fridge or oven an sniff at them all day. I went back to using the divider bowl and 2 days in a row a few hrs after he would eat. He would be sleeping and out of no where just jump up and start to puke. It basically looked a large thick pile of oatmeal. Just barely digested. The past few days I've been giving him half his food then around a hour later give him the rest. That's workin good. Any better suggestion?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Fast eating issues

Postby star_frances » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 pm

A few things you can try.

#1 - work-to-eat toys
These are the best because they slow down the rate of eating AND exercise his brain at the same time - good deal!
Some examples would be a Kong, Kong Wobbler, Buster Cube, etc. You should be able to look most of those up at amazon.com or similar site to see what I mean. You could even make one yourself at home by dividing his food up into a muffin tin and placing a tennis ball over each hole so he has to find his food.

#2 - Hand feeding
Keep the bowl in your hand and feed him a few pieces of kibble at a time while you ask him to do some obedience work for you. =)

#3 - a dog food bowl like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fast-Dog-Fo ... B000PE30MQ

#4 - submerge his food in water
This has the beenfit of increasing his water intake and slowing down his eating.

I am sure others will chime in with ideas, too. Good luck!

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:29 pm

PS - Your pup is CUTE! :inlove:

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:32 pm

I like the idea of dumping his food. If the fridge is a problem put a buffer against the bottom of the fridge, like a towel or a blanket. Or you could do it in another room, like the living room. Or you can toss his cup of food out in the back yard and make him go on a scavenger hunt! That one will make him use his head.

You could also use a food puzzle or a work-to-eat puzzle. Here is Sadie using one for the first time as a squishy little teenage pup. We feed raw now, but when we fed kibble she did the exact same thing that yours does. I know it is frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmrN2k1Bjsk

Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 pm

I got a bowl like that. Slightly different but the same idea.
We tried the water thing and he sucked the water up in a second.

Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:45 pm

star_frances wrote:PS - Your pup is CUTE! :inlove:

Thanks!

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Acasper708 wrote:I got a bowl like that. Slightly different but the same idea.
We tried the water thing and he sucked the water up in a second.

Pit bull x Hoover vaccuum mix? roflmao

Try warm water and let it sit a few minutes?
I'd still also try the work to eat toys or hand feeding!

PS - I just wanted to mention that you might want to give your vet's office a call and ask them, too - just to be sure there's no medical issue. It's most likely from eating too fast if he seems otherwise healthy, but you can't be too careful and a phone call is cheap peace of mind.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 pm

not sure if its an option for you but i too had a super fast eater. since moving him over to raw he takes his time (for him) eating his food. his food used to be gone in seconds now on raw he takes between 2-4 minutes to eat his meals depending on what i gave him.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Fast eating issues

Postby mtlu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 pm

What kind of food and how much are you feeding him? Feeding too much can also cause him to throw up.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 pm

My crazy fast eater put his seal of approval on these.
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Stuff-Ball-E ... B0002DHO18

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 am

Yup chuck out all food bowls now! Food bowls are such a waste of valuable training/brain drain time and materials. I second work to eat toys: Kong Wobbler, Tug A Jug, Buster Cube, Kibble Nibble...just google and you'll find buckets of them online. Hand feeding/feeding kibble for training, is also a GREAT idea. For very low tech, soak kibble in hot water until soft, stuff in Kongs and freeze.

Remember: no more food bowls!!

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:56 am

Do you feed him once or twice a day?

I have 3 hoover vacuums. Feeding time for all 3 takes about a minute, with my girls being done in about 45 seconds. It was 20 seconds or so before, they're insane. We have bowls that can be flipped upside down and filled, so we do that and it slows them down a bit because they have to eat around the outside. It works way better than the divided kind of bowls, those didn't slow down my guys at all.

But, we also feed twice a day so they're not eating a ton at once. We don't get any throwing up with two feeds a day.

Also, try not to feed after a bunch of activity, or allow a bunch of activity after eating - our guys have to be settled for at least a half an hour before we'll feed them, and then they go into their crates for an hour or so for a nap.

We always use part of their meals for training, too, instead of treats. Work to eat toys are great too. I especially like the puzzle toys. You can improvise and use a muffin tin and some dog toys or objects - put a few treats in random holes, cover all the holes with toys then the dog will have to use his nose and brain to move the object and get the food.

Or I take paper bowls and hide food under them and they have to find and flip the bowls with the food underneath.

I wish I had the time to do games/work to eat more often with all three of mine, we'd do it all the time if we could!

I've heard some people will also spread food out on a cookie sheet, and it helps a bit. I suppose you could even use the muffin tin without making it a game, it would slow him down some, too.

Acasper708
Newborn Bully

Fast eating issues

Postby Acasper708 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 am

We feed them twice a day and give 2 cups each time.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

Can you try 3 feeds a day? If it works to give him half and then half an hour later, maybe splitting it into 3 would work, too?

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 pm

FYI - even with the work-to-eat toys, I just pulled 15 pieces of kibble from under furniture and another 5 the next day.... Those only dispense 2-5 pieces at a time, tho, so it DOES slow things down.

Return to “Training and Behavior”