Multiple Issues - Help?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Multiple Issues - Help?

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

A few things I need help with and wanted to combine it all into 1 post.
1. Biting
I read the mouthy sticky in this board topic, have tried it ALL. Give her attention, walk away from her, stuck my thumb under her tongue while sternly saying no, closed her mouth while saying no, even "yelped" as a puppy and called her a jerk. Nope, nothing. At one point it got so bad I put her in her crate because she just wouldn't leave me be. (She doesn't sleep in her crate, we'll get to that in a minute) Unfortunately I am unable to leave the room and shut the door in our house because we have a open floor plan kind of house, so my only option is to get up and walk away, but she even does it while say I'm sitting on the couch beside her. Grabs my hands, arms, fingers, etc to the point where i swear it looks like I have a skin disease with all the tiny little bruises lol. I don't walk upstairs because at the moment we are trying to train her and the cats, she just wants to play with them, and they are still very skittish around her, so going upstairs will just prompt her to follow or get back at me by chewing a hole into the wall or urinating on the carpet in front of the closed door. :po:
2. Constant Crying at Night
Now i know, she is a people whore, she loves to be with us which I get, but instead of crating her overnight and while we are at work we gave her a room all to herself. Dog bed, blankets, toys, stuff to chew on as well as a puppy pad down (although she seems to rather chew it up than use it). So 2 nights ago she cried and cried and cried, all night, I didn't think too much of it, just thought possibly the rain or wind was scaring her. So last night, same routine, bathroom, room, treat and I followed off to bed about 15 minutes later. At about 11:45pm (over an hour after bed time), she was still crying, this crying usually does not last longer than 10 minutes after everyone has settled to bed. I couldn't take listening to her cry anymore, i felt horrible but I can't put her in bed with us or even in the room, she chews everything in sight, and that is the cats "safe" room. I got her out and put her downstairs in her crate, sat on the couch in the other room (out of sight) for a little while, she laid down and went right to sleep. So this morning instead of putting her back in the crate, I tried putting her back in the room so she could roam for the day, she completely refused, pulled away, cried, even pulled her collar off and ran back down the stairs and laid in her crate. I don't understand what got over her, i checked everything out and can't seem to find anything that would have scared her like this. :crybaby: Please help me with this, I feel horrible for her.
3. Accidents
This one is not that big of a deal, but while she "was" staying in her own room during the day, instead of using the puppy pad, she chews it to shred, or goes beside it. I'm very anal on cleaning so I make sure to clean it up immediately using Natures Miracle "Urine Destroyer" on the spot directly, and even mop that room once a week using a hot water, lysol floor cleaner and the urine destoryer. Buuuut, I'm still getting some lingering smell of urine, not over welhming, but it's noticable. The floor is an older hardwood and it's possible the urine could be seaping in, any suggestions on something else to use?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Multiple Issues - Help?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm

How much exercise is she getting?

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:How much exercise is she getting?

We go on a 2-4 mile walk every evening, plus constantly playing and running through the house and back yard.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 pm

she probably needs more exercise then that, for my dogs a walk that long takes the edge off lol, I would make a flirt pole or spring pole and have her on that several times a day, or play fetch etc.

She is 8 months old right? She is in the dreaded teenage phase, I know how hard it is, ive been there (with 2 dogs what was i thinking? lol). Choose one method for biting and stick to it, this is the time when she will seem to forget her manners and training and test your boundaries, kind of like a 2 year old. She will get it eventually. Are you able to go into another room when she is biting? I used the bathroom on our first floor when teaching one of the dogs not to bite, I only stayed in there about a minute before coming out. If they were at the door and started when i opened the door I just closed it again.

As for the housetraining, how long is she alone?
If your room is carpeted it is most likely going into the underfloor/hardwood. You would either need to lift up the carpet to clean underneath or soak the carpet really well and leave it to dry, I use nature's miracle or vinegar/water.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

starrlamia wrote:she probably needs more exercise then that, for my dogs a walk that long takes the edge off lol, I would make a flirt pole or spring pole and have her on that several times a day, or play fetch etc.

She is 8 months old right? She is in the dreaded teenage phase, I know how hard it is, ive been there (with 2 dogs what was i thinking? lol). Choose one method for biting and stick to it, this is the time when she will seem to forget her manners and training and test your boundaries, kind of like a 2 year old. She will get it eventually. Are you able to go into another room when she is biting? I used the bathroom on our first floor when teaching one of the dogs not to bite, I only stayed in there about a minute before coming out. If they were at the door and started when i opened the door I just closed it again.

As for the housetraining, how long is she alone?
If your room is carpeted it is most likely going into the underfloor/hardwood. You would either need to lift up the carpet to clean underneath or soak the carpet really well and leave it to dry, I use nature's miracle or vinegar/water.

She is about 8-10 months old now, we do have a very small bathroom on the 1st floor with us (looks like an old pantry that was turned into a 3/4 bathroom), I usually just walk into the kitchen and play on the computer in there for a little while, and come back to try and play again. She is alone for about 5 hours a day, not too awful long, but enough, she goes out to the bathroom right before I leave, and then again as soon as we get home. Sometimes i think she does it to get back at me for leaving her. lol The room is all hardwood, so I don't need to worry about carpet, but it seems to be seaping into the hardwood. :(

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

bellasmom wrote:3. Accidents
This one is not that big of a deal, but while she "was" staying in her own room during the day, instead of using the puppy pad, she chews it to shred, or goes beside it. I'm very anal on cleaning so I make sure to clean it up immediately using Natures Miracle "Urine Destroyer" on the spot directly, and even mop that room once a week using a hot water, lysol floor cleaner and the urine destoryer. Buuuut, I'm still getting some lingering smell of urine, not over welhming, but it's noticable. The floor is an older hardwood and it's possible the urine could be seaping in, any suggestions on something else to use?

Is there a reason for the puppy pads? If she's 8 months old (or even 10) and she's only left for approximately 5 hours a day, she should be able to hold it...unless something is medically wrong with her. Dogs aren't spiteful so the idea of her doing it on purpose is unlikely. It's probably more likely that she's gone enough times in this room that it isn't a big deal to her anymore and she actually thinks this is where her bathroom is...in addition to that having the puppy pads in there encourages it more.

I'd start potty training all over again. I'd remove the pads. I'd scrub the hell out of the floor. I'd make sure she was on a strict schedule (eating and pottying). And I'd be throwing parties when she went outside.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I know it seems as if I am using this as an excuse, please don't think so, because we are trying to retrain her on the wrong training. She was in a different home for the first 8 months of her life, in this home she got no training, no potty, crate, food schedule, etc. From the looks of the paper work the rescue gave me, they let her run around all day and do as she pleased when she pleased. So from day 1 in our house she wouldn't even walk outside, plopped right on thr floor and would do her business, luckily we were able to get her to go outside shortly after that. When I did bring her home I was off of work for 12 days because of the xmas holiday, so unfortunately any schedule I had her on that week went to crap after i went back to work. At first she was crated for the 5 hours I was at work, and overnight while we slept, no accidents or issues with that because she would be let out before my fiance went to work, again before I went to work, and then once either of us got home. Well, his work schedule changed for awhile and we would be away for over 8 hours of the day, which prompted us to give her one of the 3rd floor spare rooms, since then, she has had "small" accidents here and there, which I have cleaned up as soon as i returned home. I can't justify leaving her in a crate for that long of a time, so thought the room would be a little better for her, possible thoughts on that as well?

So in a way, she was retrained all over again once she came to our house, and on top of that "I" had to be trained as well lol

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Is there another room you can move her to? I really believe she's learned that going to the bathroom in this room is acceptable. Are her accidents happening just while ya'll are at work or during the night as well? If it's just during the day, maybe you could crate her then, but let her have the room to sleep in at night? What ever you decide I strongly suggest removing the puppy pads...at this point they seem like a waste. She isn't using them, and she's tearing them up. If she ingested too much of one (or many over time) that could be bad business for her insides.

I understand being uncomfortable about having her crated that long. We have two dogs and only one is crated. They're always separated (even when we're home) but if we leave Trooper out of the crate for too long he becomes destructive. When we first adopted him I was 100% sure I was going to change the fact that "he needed to be crated". We've had him since 2008...and I haven't done it yet. Just recently my husband said to me he thinks we can try again (on leaving him out) because he's older, more calmed down, seems to do well for short periods of time (like when we go to school or dinner). I want to let Trooper have an entire bedroom...or the living room while our other dog is in the bedroom...but I've learned...over and over it seems, that for him the crate is the best option. He can't hurt himself by chewing something he isn't supposed to, he can't hurt my house by chewing on newly bought furniture...and honestly Trooper loves his crate. I think he feels safe in there. It clearly isn't stressful for him. I think I'll always have that little pinging feeling about letting him "be more comfortable" but in this case safety is more important...maybe it's the same for your dog. If nothing else, crating her will prevent her from chewing.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

They only seem to be happening during the day and not at night, but as of lastnight and this morning, I can't even get her to go back in that room anymore. She cries and cries and cries like I've never heard, and even this morning cried before I could even get her up the stairs to that room, bolted down 2 flights of stairs and ended in her crate. I'm kind of wondering what happened or what is going through her mind as to why she is so scared to go back up there. As silly as it seems, only thing I can think of is the show "The Haunted" on Animal Planet... :eek:
I'm going to try again tonight, remove the pad, and possibly even drag her up there with me and play for awhile, make her see that it's a safe happy place.

geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby geckogirly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

If she's afraid of the room and happy in her crate, then why make her stay in the room?

I would crate her while you are away and at night and see if this fixes her 'accident' problems (and crying for that matter).

Dogs pick up on things. Maybe she associates you leaving with being in that room? Who knows. My dog will get upset every time I take a shower because he's convinced I'm leaving right afterwards. Nine times out of ten he's right, so can't say I blame the guy.

Or maybe she doesn't like being in a room she's potty'ed in? I wouldn't want to stay all day in a 'bathroom' either...just a thought.

Also, dogs usually are less likely to have accidents when in smaller areas. Crating her may be all it takes to get her to stop.

-Andrea ;)

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I agree with Starrlamia-- my dogs need much more, and much more varied exercise than what she's getting.

Have you thought about enrolling her in a class for manners?

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 am

We have been looking to enrole her into classes, but unfortunately with our schedules, we are having a tough time finding a place local that I would be able to get her to after work. We decided it would be best for me to take her since I need the training as well, and spend the most time with her alone and in general... She's a momma's girl :inlove:
I'm still not convinced in using Petsmart as a form of training, I've heard mixed stories from people I talked with, but anything local is competitive show training, not having much luck.

Lastnight I took her up to the room, we played for a good while as well as I just sat up there with her as she wondered about her business. Still, the samething, except this time I was told to leave her cry longer than 45 minutes, soooo about 3 hours later my fiance couldn't take it anymore, went up and tried putting on a radio for some comfort and noise, still nothing. So back in the crate she went, as well as again this morning I tried to get her to go up and she wouldn't, so I'm not going to fight with her anymore, if she wants the crate, so be it. Only downside is we can't use the crate as a form of time out anymore, might try the downstairs bathroom instead.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 am

bellasmom wrote:I'm still not convinced in using Petsmart as a form of training, I've heard mixed stories from people I talked with, but anything local is competitive show training, not having much luck.

I'd go to your local Petsmart, see who they recommend, then stick around during one of the training sessions and see if it's something you're comfortable with.

bellasmom wrote: Only downside is we can't use the crate as a form of time out anymore, might try the downstairs bathroom instead.

Overall, I think you'll find most members here don't like the crate as a form of punishment...can you explain a little more what you mean by a timeout? As in she's done something wrong and you put her there, or she's too amped up and you use it to calm her down? Time outs aren't a bad thing. I just think it's important to be careful when it comes to the crate.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:Overall, I think you'll find most members here don't like the crate as a form of punishment...can you explain a little more what you mean by a timeout? As in she's done something wrong and you put her there, or she's too amped up and you use it to calm her down? Time outs aren't a bad thing. I just think it's important to be careful when it comes to the crate.

Basically as a calm down when she gets wired up and starts biting and nipping at us. We'll leave her in there for a few minutes to get he calm down and then I'll go over and have the "settle down" talk with her. She's starting to listen very well, but not when she is all wound up, which my fiance's daughter has a habit of constantly doing. Our biggest issue with that are the cats at the moment, Bella just wants to play and smell, but her quick moments get the cats running, and when something runs, Bella chases and causes all hell throughout the house lol. I was up until midnight lastnight shampooing the rugs and washing out bedding, she bolted in the door and scattered mud everywhere lol :wow

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:15 pm

bellasmom wrote:
jamielvsaustin wrote:Overall, I think you'll find most members here don't like the crate as a form of punishment...can you explain a little more what you mean by a timeout? As in she's done something wrong and you put her there, or she's too amped up and you use it to calm her down? Time outs aren't a bad thing. I just think it's important to be careful when it comes to the crate.

Basically as a calm down when she gets wired up and starts biting and nipping at us. We'll leave her in there for a few minutes to get he calm down and then I'll go over and have the "settle down" talk with her. She's starting to listen very well, but not when she is all wound up, which my fiance's daughter has a habit of constantly doing. Our biggest issue with that are the cats at the moment, Bella just wants to play and smell, but her quick moments get the cats running, and when something runs, Bella chases and causes all hell throughout the house lol. I was up until midnight lastnight shampooing the rugs and washing out bedding, she bolted in the door and scattered mud everywhere lol :wow

How do you get her in the crate during these times? Even just the cue of getting her in there, or physically taking her there yourself, can be positively reinforcing the behavior (as in "yay, mom's paying attention to me!")

I'd remove myself. Close myself in a closet for twenty seconds or so - taking yourself out of her reach completely with no interaction at all with you, so she gets no reinforcement at all, and your return happens only when she's got four feet on the floor. If she acts up and jumps on you again, you remove yourself again.

Return to “Training and Behavior”