Different after spay

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Different after spay

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:24 am

So I got my girl freckles (border collie x amstaff mix) , who is getting 10 years old next month (march) spayed a few months ago, all is good her tummy is all healed up and no more false pregenancy's ;) But now the downside, she's different more neurotic and hyper and everything is about food lately. Also she has this new behavior, excessive licking of her front paws who were normally beautifully white are now reddish and hair is gone from the excessive licking. Her agression towards other dogs has reached a scary level. Where could this excessive licking behavior come from? and is it normal for a dog to display more neurotic and hyper behavior after a spay?

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Re: Different after spay

Postby suzanne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 am

PitbullLover* wrote:So I got my girl freckles (border collie x amstaff mix) , who is getting 10 years old next month (march) spayed a few months ago, all is good her tummy is all healed up and no more false pregenancy's ;) But now the downside, she's different more neurotic and hyper and everything is about food lately. Also she has this new behavior, excessive licking of her front paws who were normally beautifully white are now reddish and hair is gone from the excessive licking. Her agression towards other dogs has reached a scary level. Where could this excessive licking behavior come from? and is it normal for a dog to display more neurotic and hyper behavior after a spay?

Was she dog aggressive before? If a bitch is aggressive to begin with - spaying can sometimes make the behavior worse.

As far as licking her feet, that can be a sign of allergies, if she's also really hyper lately the licking could be a symptom of OCD.

Great way to tone down a hyper dog is to give it proper exercise. I doubt the personality change is a result of the spay but possibly changes in your lifestyle or changes in the weather causing her to feel good. She also might be feeling good because she isn't full of hormones and isn't going into heat or having false pregnancies.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

thank you for your response :)

and Yes! she was dog agressive before, but as long as the dogs we encounter on our walks did not come close to her within ''sniffing'' distance, she was fine with them, she ignored them as they were passing by. But now as soon as she sees a dog on our walks [even when they are just in sight] she growls/barks shows teeth... and she pulls on the leash because she wants to go there, and not to play :wow I did read it could make the behavior worse but this bad? she's completely different dog my family joked at me if i happen to trade her for another dog that looked like her.

Well she is mixed with border collie so the OCD could be a very good explanation.... I am working more (and i'm stressed/burnout maybe she is picking up on that?), but i don't really think that this can cause her to react so different then before, she still gets 4 walks...3 walks 20 mins, one walk 1,5 hour. She does not go off leash though not anymore, as she is not to be trusted with other dogs, and lately listening isn't her greatest gift anymore either looks like she has banana's in her ears, as we say here.

I just got a response from someone who is very well with the bach remedy's and she suggested a combination of these so i'm going to try that and more excersise...

- impatiens [impatience,inner tension, quickly irritated]
- vervain [perfecionist, fanatic, tensed up, never resting, harms own body in the process of never resting]
- wild oat [inner peace, calmer state of mind]
- cherry plum [for a deep inner peace, help for fighting inner fears,
- white chestnut'[lack of concentration, deep thoughts, inner peace, balance]

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby suzanne » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

PitbullLover* wrote:thank you for your response :)

and Yes! she was dog agressive before, but as long as the dogs we encounter on our walks did not come close to her within ''sniffing'' distance, she was fine with them, she ignored them as they were passing by. But now as soon as she sees a dog on our walks [even when they are just in sight] she growls/barks shows teeth... and she pulls on the leash because she wants to go there, and not to play :wow I did read it could make the behavior worse but this bad? she's completely different dog my family joked at me if i happen to trade her for another dog that looked like her.

Well she is mixed with border collie so the OCD could be a very good explanation.... I am working more (and i'm stressed/burnout maybe she is picking up on that?), but i don't really think that this can cause her to react so different then before, she still gets 4 walks...3 walks 20 mins, one walk 1,5 hour. She does not go off leash though not anymore, as she is not to be trusted with other dogs, and lately listening isn't her greatest gift anymore either looks like she has banana's in her ears, as we say here.

I just got a response from someone who is very well with the bach remedy's and she suggested a combination of these so i'm going to try that and more excersise...

- impatiens [impatience,inner tension, quickly irritated]
- vervain [perfecionist, fanatic, tensed up, never resting, harms own body in the process of never resting]
- wild oat [inner peace, calmer state of mind]
- cherry plum [for a deep inner peace, help for fighting inner fears,
- white chestnut'[lack of concentration, deep thoughts, inner peace, balance]

I've heard of some people having good luck with the bach remedy's, it's definitely worth a try. If you are stressed out she could be picking up on it, I'm not sure how much worse spaying will make a dog behavior wise, but I've definitely heard of it making them more aggressive.

Do you think you're just encountering more dogs than you usually do because it's close to spring and more people are out with their dogs?

There are a ton of variables but I would try the bach remedy and see if you can give her some stimulating exercise. Another thing you might consider also is consulting the vet who did the spay and see what they have to say about the behavior.

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I dunno about the behavior issues but when we got couda spayed she became totally obsessed with food. And has put on weight if we would let her shed eat non stop and be a sausage! Lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”