Aggressive behavior, what to do?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Aggressive behavior, what to do?

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I think you need to see a qualified behaviorist to determine the extent and "fixability" of this issue.

What area are you in? We can recommend some reputable ones.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Isn't Stormi in that area?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Where in western Washington are you? There are several wonderful trainers and behavior consultants over here. I'm in the Seattle area, but if that's too far I'd be happy to suggest someone closer to whereever it is that you are.

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Just keep your dogs away from other dogs, problem fixed permanently. Dog aggression is a common behavior in this breed and once developed, it most often stays. Congratulations, you have a pit bull. :)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:20 am

ChevellesMomma wrote:Just keep your dogs away from other dogs, problem fixed permanently. Dog aggression is a common behavior in this breed and once developed, it most often stays. Congratulations, you have a pit bull. :)

Dog aggression or no, she can learn not to be an ass at the sight of another dog while on leash.

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 am

Kingsgurl wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:Just keep your dogs away from other dogs, problem fixed permanently. Dog aggression is a common behavior in this breed and once developed, it most often stays. Congratulations, you have a pit bull. :)

Dog aggression or no, she can learn not to be an ass at the sight of another dog while on leash.

True, but I would never trust her loose with another dog again.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am

ChevellesMomma wrote:True, but I would never trust her loose with another dog again.

To me, it doesn't sound like the OP is asking for that. It sounds like he wants to be be able to walk his dog like a normal person and have the dog behave. A reasonable thing to want. I don't give a crap how DA a dog is, it can be taught some impulse control.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 am

BuddhaTheBully wrote:I'm actually on the coast in Aberdeen , a little hick town..,

Ah, ok. I've been out there a couple of times, granted for the same dorky reason most Seattleites travel over there ;) The closest option for you that I know of is Dorothy Turley over in Olympia. She rocks and has tons of experience with the breed. Here's her website: http://www.dorothyturley.com/services.html.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:43 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:True, but I would never trust her loose with another dog again.

To me, it doesn't sound like the OP is asking for that. It sounds like he wants to be be able to walk his dog like a normal person and have the dog behave. A reasonable thing to want. I don't give a crap how DA a dog is, it can be taught some impulse control.

That was my impression, as well

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:

I agree. My American Bully Mya wanted to kill other dogs but with some training, she could walk past and sit/stand near any dog while on a leash without acting like a crazy dog.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Stormi wrote:
BuddhaTheBully wrote:I'm actually on the coast in Aberdeen , a little hick town..,

Ah, ok. I've been out there a couple of times, granted for the same dorky reason most Seattleites travel over there ;) The closest option for you that I know of is Dorothy Turley over in Olympia. She rocks and has tons of experience with the breed. Here's her website: http://www.dorothyturley.com/services.html.

I am over in Olympia and can not recommend Dorthy enough! She is an excellent trainer, has a Pit Bull mix herself and is extremely knowledgeable.

Please do not go to any other trainer in this area. There are quite a few (with more popping up each day), most of whom I have met or worked with and they range from inept to dangerous.

Return to “Training and Behavior”