Certified Veterinary Behavioralist?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Certified Veterinary Behavioralist?

Postby addieNmel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Has anyone ever gone to a certified veterinary/ pet behavioralist before? Theres one where I use to live in Columbus at the OSU vet hospital. Addie has had some ongoing anxiety issues that I have been trying to improve for a while. She also is pretty afriad of kids. I've tried various medications under direction of one of the vets I use to work for (xanax and prozac had major side effects with her, clomicalm did not effect her), clicker training ( helps to some degree), slow desensitizing, gentle leaders etc, each several months at a time. Even though I know roughly what is causing the problems and ways to go about fixing it, I still feel I'm missing something.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone has.. its a bit pricey, but I think it'd be worth it for the help. I just wanted others opinions before I called for an appointment..

Thanks! :)

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Certified Veterinary Behavioralist?

Postby lilangel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:46 pm

A Veterinary Behaviorist is typically going to approach problem behaviors utilizing what is known as a medical model approach. What this means is that they will treat the behavior the same way they do a physical ailment. Diagnose, label, medicate/ treat. If that is the direction you wish to go, then a Veterinary Behaviorist may be an option. a behavior consultant or applied animal behavior professional will approach problem behaviors using applied behavior analysis which is more efficient and direct and they will be able to refer you to a Vet behaviorist for either meds or other consult if necessary. FYI finding a behavior pro is more about how they approach behavior change rather than the perceived magnitude of the degree, a fact that is seldom explained.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am

I'm working with a veterinarian who's going through her behavior residency currently. I love her and her tech. Her tech is an RVT SB KPA, which means she's a vet tech with a specialty in behavior and is a graduate of the Karen Pryor Academy.
The two of them have been instrumental in helping my husband and I teach Will how to cope, I'm sure the meds have helped too. He's less reactive with guests, we can walk by people who aren't looking directly at him without so much as a batted eye. He's learning how to relax and how to back away from something frightening. They also run monthly book discussions, training sessions and seminars all the time. In a couple of weeks I'll be attending a Chicken Camp with Terry Ryan at the clinic. They've been very supportive and understanding with my fear aggressive boy.

Also I got to meet Dr. Megan Herron, the behavior vet from OSU, a couple of weeks ago at the Midwest Veterinary Conference, got to attend a couple of her seminars as well. She really knows her stuff and I look forward to learning more from her.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:12 am

addieNmel wrote:Has anyone ever gone to a certified veterinary/ pet behavioralist before? Theres one where I use to live in Columbus at the OSU vet hospital. Addie has had some ongoing anxiety issues that I have been trying to improve for a while. She also is pretty afriad of kids. I've tried various medications under direction of one of the vets I use to work for (xanax and prozac had major side effects with her, clomicalm did not effect her), clicker training ( helps to some degree), slow desensitizing, gentle leaders etc, each several months at a time. Even though I know roughly what is causing the problems and ways to go about fixing it, I still feel I'm missing something.

I think it is great that you are seeking the expertise of a veterinary behaviorist. While medications are not all that there is when it comes to behavior changes, they can help tremendously in some cases. Hope you can get some help from your Dr. and better your companion's quality of life.

Shearaha1, you'll find the chicken camp super informative. Working first hand with chickens can definitely better one's skills when using a conditioned reinforcer to shape behaviors.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am

AddieNMel, are you going to Dr. Feltes? I really wanted to do chicken camp there but couldn't swing the price. :)

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 am

Inaras mom wrote:AddieNMel, are you going to Dr. Feltes? I really wanted to do chicken camp there but couldn't swing the price. :)

I am. I love her, she's been so much help with Will. And it's nice to know that I have somewhere I can take him where no one is going to set him off and we can work him under threshold. The day we took him in for his initial appointment was the worst reactivity to date. He's been getting better since, we didn't really change much with his training/desensitization/counter-conditioning program but the addition of L-Theanine and Reconcile have helped tremendously. Especially the L-Theanine, we started seeing a difference within the first 2 weeks of starting it. Will was actually able to relax, he'd always been so tense and on alert, after 2 weeks on the L-Theanine I was able to grab loose skin, something that had been impossible before because of how tense he was all the time.

Yeah, the price was a rough one, but Hubby and I had just gotten a settlement and I took some of it and ran. I'm also going to a seminar (auditing) this weekend with Shade Whitesel, and then the weekend after Chicken Camp to another with Guy Penning & Axel Van Der Borght, 2 amazing protection sport clicker trainers out of Belgium. I may be borrowing one of my mentors dogs for that weekend, Will isn't up to working that closely with strangers yet and won't be by May. Maybe next year I can take him to some seminars though :pray

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 am

Heading down to PosiDog? I love them down there. :-)

I own a group for pit bull owners, Pit Bull Zen. We have a very active Facebook group (it's closed but we approve requests to join quickly) - look us up!

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 am

Yup, I love the guys at PosiDog, trying to figure out how I can manage to get Will into their Reactivity Rehab course. The logistics are just mind-boggling :eek:

I'll look you up. Will LOVES other dogs, it's just people that he has issues with, a walking group might be good for him.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

We have all kinds of dogs in our walking groups - most are pretty sociable with both dogs and people, but there are some, like my girl, that is not dog friendly but loves people, and there are a couple others that are okay with dogs but frightened of people. Everybody does well once we're moving. :-)

Return to “Training and Behavior”