Bathroom in crate?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Bathroom in crate?

Postby bellasmom » Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm

We've had Bella now since December, she's adapting very well and really taking on commands and really starting to behave much better. Every night she is put in her large crate, let out for about an hour in the morning, and put back in for about 4 hours of the day. We only feed her 2 cups a day of TOTW, which unfortunately ends up being close together during the week since we both work.
NEVER has she ever used her crate as a bathroom until yesterday, came home, number 1 and number 2, cleaned the crate with enzyme cleaner and put in a different blanket. Came home today, same deal except now she won't go outside as she just went number 1 on the carpet after letting her outside. I haven't the slightest what made her start this or how to fix it.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Bathroom in crate?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Whenever there's a sudden change in elimination habits, a vet visit is always warranted. I'd start there.
Glad to hear she's doing well otherwise.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Re: Bathroom in crate?

Postby bellasmom » Wed May 09, 2012 7:07 pm

I just took her out again, and she went with no problem. I'm still going to make a call to the vet tomorrow and see what they have to say. My only other thought is that it's been raining here for about 5 days straight and she isn't too fond of rain (although loves the hose?), OR...we live in a semi detatched and they have recently begun to renovate, possibly scaring her?

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm

I just thought of another thing too, i bought her a new bone on Monday, a rawhide, which she has never had before. Possibly not agreeing with her?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Bathroom in crate?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm

All of those scenarios are certainly possible but I'd want to rule out a UTI or other medical cause first.

Also, as a side note, my dogs won't go out in the yard if it's raining and Obi will poop in the house if he doesn't get his routine potty breaks. I find though, if I suck it up, bundle up, and take him for an off leash walk, he will forget all about the rain and potty as usual.

bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby bellasmom » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 pm

I hate thinking of the possibility of there being something wrong with her...reguardless I am going to call my vet first thing in the morning and either get her in or have them give me an idea of what's going on with her.
Funny thing is, first thing i thought of was...ITS THE FOOD!...and then i remembered this outbreak is only affecting humans that are coming in contact with TOTW. As crazy as she makes me sometimes, I would really be completely heart broken if anything ever happened to her.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Bathroom in crate?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 pm

You're just being a conscientious owner. I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this and Bella will be fine!

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Fri May 18, 2012 5:22 am

Any discovery as to the pottying? I was thinking it over and I feed my guys once a day because they are in crates (in winter only) while I am at work and they do not have accidents. If I feed them twice a day they have messed in their crates. Just a thought...

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 am

bellasmom wrote:I just took her out again, and she went with no problem. I'm still going to make a call to the vet tomorrow and see what they have to say. My only other thought is that it's been raining here for about 5 days straight and she isn't too fond of rain (although loves the hose?), OR...we live in a semi detatched and they have recently begun to renovate, possibly scaring her?

The only time Peanut pooped in the house was when we had her about a week and it was raining hard when I uncrated her. I took her out, she stood on the patio, ran inside went upstairs and did her business there. Now when it rains she gets walked instead of let out back. She doesn't mind the rain anymore and loves mud puddles which is why she gets walked!

Also Peanut was very runny when she had rawhides. We don't give her rawhides anymore.

Hope she is ok!!!!

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

Will won't go out to potty when it's raining unless we put a jacket on him. And even then one of us (me) has to stand on the porch and watch him to make sure he goes. I have to watch because he won't poo if anyone else is watching lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”