Our enormous Amstaff is returning!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Eita
Newborn Bully

Our enormous Amstaff is returning!

Postby Eita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi,
I am excited - and worried. Almost a year ago we gave our 5-month-old male Amstaff, Aldo, to my parents-in-law who, in a short period, had lost all their three dogs and were distressed. He had been with us for only a month and seemed to settle in well.

We visit him like every two months - but it does seem as if he regards me and my husband as his "real" family. Still. He is overwhelmed with joy when he sees us, wants to sleep together with us if we stay the night over and jumps into the car when we leave. A little bit strange since he only was a month with us and he does seem to get very good treatment and lots of love.

But. He seems to have behaviour problems. Well, according to my parents-in-law. They say that he gets very difficult after we leave. Jumps on people, doesn't obey. Now they are saying that he is peeing inside. But the biggest problem is that he is "bully" and not aware of his strenght and size, apparently. He has knocked my father-in-law down twice now. My father-in-law got pretty badly injured and now they want to give him back to us. They just can't handle him. We are thrilled - it seems as if he belongs with us and he is a wonderful dog. And adores our female pitbull, EA.

But here come the problems, as well. EA is an above average energy-level pitbull. She is extremely obedient and a very easy dog inside the house - but it's an eternal battle on the street if she is on a leash. My husband walks her without a leash - it's not prohibited here! - and it works ok - thanks to her obedience. But he has better control of her than I do, so I take no risks - she has dog-aggressiveness issues - and I walk her with a leash. Which she hates. Now 3,5 years old, she is getting better, after lots of training, but she is emotional and spontaneous and can surprise me with a sudden drag. Which is dangerous in our mountaineous area with slippery roads. And in spite of her small size, she is extremely strong. I have to be very concentrated when I walk her.

And now it seems as if Aldo is returning! And I know very well that I can't walk both dogs. I can't even walk Aldo alone, I tried it once. It was a nightmare. Yes, I wrote that he got "good treatment", but my parents-in-law never trained him. Well, I know, that is the same as "bad treatment," at least when it comes to an Amstaff. An enormous, energetic, male Amstaff. And we live in these difficult surroundings.

As time went, we would probably be able to train him. But before that! And in the country where we live, they have a very different approach to animals than in the US or Europe, so I wouldn't so easily trust a professional (so called...) trainer. Which I actually would see as the only solution if Aldo returned. On the other hand I/we couldn't face giving Aldo to another family. We seem to be his "pack" and it seems as if some of his behaviour-issues are connected to the fact that he feels that we abandoned him.

I need some advice, encouraging words!

EA's mom - and Aldo's...

Oh, why do dogs have to be so smart - and sensitive?

Eita
Newborn Bully

Re: Our enormous Amstaff is returning!

Postby Eita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi again,
I just chatted with my father-in-law and he says that Aldo is peeing everywhere inside and says that the problem started when they got a kitten - which they gave away when the pee problem started.

What could it be about? Besides "just" territory?

EA's mom

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 pm

UTI

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Urinary infection? Aldo has access to the garden all the time.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 pm

access to the garden is moot if the dog has a UTI. Whenever you have inappropriate urination, step 1 should always be a urinalysis

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Ok, thanks, I will tell my father-in-law. I consider the dog sound, psychologically, during our short visits, and I really hope it is that way!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am

I would also be thinking urinary issues. Especially if it just started happening after he has proven to be potty trained. Just curious, is he neutered? If not, this could also be contributing to the issue. Males like to mark.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:17 am

No, he is not neutered...And the other problem with him: "bullying", not being conscious of his enormous size and strength...speed. How do you control that? We control our energetic female pitbull by the means of some training and lots of talking and attention- there are no short-cuts?

And she IS a wonderful dog, people are amazed, and we tell them that we mainly talk to her. And she gets exercise. And we know that lots of people don't give the attention to their dogs the same way we give to ours.

But: opinions?

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 am

there really aren't short cuts.

Exercise, obedience, keep him healthy. Stimulate his mind, tire his body. Then snuggle on the couch before bed.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:24 am

Sounds like the bullying and not being conscious of his surrounds could be lack of boundaries and training. Red and Stormi have some great threads in Training on how to address this. You may also want to give your parents a printout of NILF. There is a sticky on it in Training as well. NILF will help curb most of what you are concerned about with him.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:01 am

Curly - will check it out!
Thanks

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 am

And Nichole: seems as if one of my answers to you wasn't subitted - thanks, I appereciate your advice.. I am pretty new with PB and Amstaff, but I have learnt a lot after 8 years - and I am learning more all the time!

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi,
Aldo is not returning after all... First we got extremely sad - we had looked so much forward to it! Talked about the walks, the training issues, how good it would be for both dogs. How demanding for us.

But I am now visiting my parents-in-law and after a visit at the clinic, they changed their mind. They were - once again- convinced of the fact that they had a great and very handsome dog. He is just very demanding and we were probably naïve when me gave them, elderly people, such a demanding dog. But they had had dobermanns and boxers before. Well, they want to go on, and now we feel happy. They want to look for a professional trainer, other pedigree Amstaffs which are extremely unusual in their country. To find friends for themselves, Aldo - and hopefully a good girl-friends as well:).

Send my parents-in-law good luck!

But we have a new issue: rescuing Eita´s -EA´s sister. Read about it in another thread.

Eitas mum

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 pm

but it's an eternal battle on the street if she is on a leash. My husband walks her without a leash - it's not prohibited here! - and it works ok - thanks to her obedience. But he has better control of her than I do, so I take no risks - she has dog-aggressiveness issues

Sorry, I didn't make it much past this. Your husband walks your dog aggressive dog without a leash (because there aren't LAWS telling you this is an extremely BAD idea???)) If she has poor leash manners, she needs training to walk properly on a leash. Walking a dog you know to have issues with other dogs off leash is very irresponsible. I would reconsider adding another dog until you are able to manage this one properly. You should also be aware that female/female pairings are often problematic, especially siblings. Are you prepared to crate/rotate?

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm

I could agree with you - BUT. EA is extremely obedient with my husband and there has never been an issue. She is obedient with me as well, but we have had issues = always on a leash with me. In this country there are no laws about pitbulls.

Return to “Training and Behavior”