no bark collar

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
kane516
Newborn Bully

no bark collar

Postby kane516 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:45 pm

what is the best no bark collar? i do not want to use the shock ones, so i guess one with the spray i would wanna use. I have seen them with Citronella, is that safe for the dog, or should i find one that is just air? if you have used these collars have they worked? Thanks!

amelie
Matured Bully

Re: no bark collar

Postby amelie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 am

In what situations is your dog barking? There are many ways to curb unwanted barking in different situations. There may be a better solution than a collar.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Knowing why your dog barks is the first step in helping curb the behavior.
How much excercise and training a day does the dog receive? One of the most common reasons for excessive barking is boredom and under-stimulation.
You can train your dog instead of using negative methods. This will help you develop your bond and get your dog thinking and learning, working with you. When a dog barks they are sending a message. You can use tools like collars to stop the barking but the underlying issue and message are still there, just suppressed. This usually doesn't make for a dog that is as happy as possible. Here are some good videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... ScFPs&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7JrteQ ... ure=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCELHDT ... ure=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_fPKPL ... ure=fvwrel

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

UnconventionalLove wrote:When a dog barks they are sending a message.

This is worth repeating! Bark collars can't distinguish what message the dog is sending, and will eliminate a "hey, mom! a squirrel just ran up a tree across the street" but also a "hey, mom! Someone's trying to break into the house!"

kane516
Newborn Bully

Postby kane516 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm

hey barks at anyone that walks by the yard. We are on a corner so he sees them very every angle, coming, passing and going. Hes even worse when there are other dogs passing. Im just sick of hearing his bark im sure my neighbors are too.

He barks in the house not that offten. Aslo goes crazy when the garbage men come by.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Is the dog in the house when he's barking or out in the front yard? We use a baby gate to block our front room so our dogs aren't able to bark at whatever's passing by while we're not home...maybe that's an option.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 pm

There are many others here that can give better advice than I can. My take on it is he enjoys barking at people when he is in the yard, he 'wins' because they always leave. It is very rewarding for him, and fun.

Is there any way to block his views? Like with a chain link fence you can insert those privacy strips. Do you have a back yard that has less stimulation for him to bark at? Maybe go out with him every time he is in the yard and give him something more fun to do when people are walking by? I live out in the sticks so I may not be much help. If my dogs bark I immediatly check it out because its almost always a big deal (moose in yard, neighborhood dogs trying to get in goat pen etc)

amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:24 am

One of the problems with a bark collar is that you run the risk of the dog inadvertently associating the aversive (ie, the thing he doesn't like about the collar be it a shock, citronella or a hiss of air) with the strangers walking by the house rather than with the bark. Those strangers become a predictor of unpleasant experiences. You can wind up with a dog developing aggression toward strangers. (I speak from experience on this one. )

Doing something like teaching a somewhat incompatible behavior can be one way to stop it. As soon as Robin saw someone out the window she was allowed a couple of alert barks and then I cued her to crate up, where she got a treat. Her crate up cue is strong enough that it overrides almost everything else. It's almost subconscious for her lol . Eventually I found her crating herself at the sight of people. But she's almost never unattended in the yard and we have privacy fence, and she's crated when we're not home so she doesn't have the luxury of rewarding herself with the barking when no one is looking.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 pm

amalie79 wrote:One of the problems with a bark collar is that you run the risk of the dog inadvertently associating the aversive (ie, the thing he doesn't like about the collar be it a shock, citronella or a hiss of air) with the strangers walking by the house rather than with the bark. Those strangers become a predictor of unpleasant experiences. You can wind up with a dog developing aggression toward strangers. (I speak from experience on this one. )

Doing something like teaching a somewhat incompatible behavior can be one way to stop it. As soon as Robin saw someone out the window she was allowed a couple of alert barks and then I cued her to crate up, where she got a treat. Her crate up cue is strong enough that it overrides almost everything else. It's almost subconscious for her lol . Eventually I found her crating herself at the sight of people. But she's almost never unattended in the yard and we have privacy fence, and she's crated when we're not home so she doesn't have the luxury of rewarding herself with the barking when no one is looking.

:goodpost: That is all :)

kane516
Newborn Bully

Postby kane516 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:01 pm

thanks for all the info. What im gunna do is sit outside with him and when he doesn't do anything when someone passes is reward him with a treat. And if he doesn't stop barking it will be right in the house we go. So lets see of this works out!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:52 pm

I just want to say thank you for asking for help and trying other positive methods rather than using a physical correction that could make things worse. I wish you luck and hope you stick with it!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Vi is a big time fence barker, she has barrier issues as well. Here is a basic idea of what worked for us to control the behavior.

I ALWAYS go out with the dogs, every time. I ALWAYS keep some treats in my pocket, and I make sure she knows I have them.
I take a slip lead out with me, I usually just throw it over my shoulder.
I ask for a simple recall or other simple obedience moves randomly when outside..
I try to keep an eye out to hopefully notice a person before she does, but it doesn't always happen.
I see person first....
I give my recall command, slip the lead on, and walk the other direction in a heel. I may throw in some tight turns, some quick sits and downs, some fronts, etc. and reward often. Anything to keep her focus on me.
Once the person is completely out of sight range I remove the lead, ask for another obed move or two, and give her our release command (I use "free") and give lots of rewards.
She has no idea a person even walked by.... easy success.

If she notices the person first or has already made it to the fence/ is barking...
I first give her our "leave it" command, followed by our "down-stay" command. Both of these commands should be solid, if they are not work on them every day. (Knowing these two commands (along with a recall) can make the difference between life and death for your dog (think hit by car scenario).)
Depending on whether the person has a dog or not I will either choose a recall (no dog) or I will walk to her (with dog, or she is being particularly ditzy that day) before slipping on the lead. I walk to her if there is another dog in the equation because if I ask for a recall she may or may not come to me, she may return to the fence and start barking. I know she has a rock solid down-stay, but the sight of a dog on the other side of the fence may be too much temptation for her to resist but by me going to her, I am setting her up for success in this scenario.
Once leashed, I walk the other direction in a heel. I may throw in some tight turns, some quick sits and downs, some fronts, etc. and reward often. Anything to keep her focus on me.
Once the person is completely out of sight range I remove the lead, ask for another obed move or two, and give her our release command (I use "free") and give lots of rewards.

Keep in mind, at NO point do I use the leash for correction. It is only there so I have better control of the situation. The leash only serves to remove the option of being able to return to the fence. The goal is to redirect the dogs energy and mind onto more appropriate tasks and to reward for appropriate behavior and obedience.

It did take a few months of constant training and vigilance to get her fence line barking under control, but it is worth it. I still use a condensed version of our training when people walk past. I have no doubts that left to her own devices she would run the fence line barking. Vi's barrier issues will probably never completely go away, and I don't really expect them to. Normal dogs will bark at people walking past their property, there is nothing wrong with it. I won't force my dog to not act like a completely normal dog, that isn't fair to her and could cause other more serious issues in the future. What I can expect is that I can control the situation through training and supervision.

Return to “Training and Behavior”